Packers Offense, What Really Needs To Change And Improve

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Last year was a big drop off in production and points. While injuries did play a part several pieces of the machine didn't mess as in the past.

For me it all starts with the OL and a very inconsistent season. This group even during the early showed signs of having issues. GB has to be able to get back to consistently blocking up front next season and the OL depth must be improved.

The wide receivers played scared and without any confidence last season. Most of this stems from lack of coaching but a piece of this is on Rodgers..yes Rodgers. #12 lost his swagger a bit in 15/16 and many times he missed wide open receivers or threw behind/under/over them. Get pissed all you want at them but don't forget to drop Aaron's pants and spank his bottom because #12 was far from perfect last season.

The running game was affect by the line to some extent and when Rodgers was off the defense went man and stacked the box. However taking Lacy out of the equation no one else stepped up and Starks still has the fumblitis issue again some new depth is needed.

Fixable ? Yes but in reality they just can't do what always used to work and expect success. I am hoping MM and his staff rethink somethings and change their offense by formation /scheme.

My thoughts... How about yours ?

I too think it was a combination of OL issues, poor RB play and receivers' injuries. Look how much better our offense performed when all our OL starters were in the game in Divisional round.

Could not agree more on OL. Starts there. But just me....I think it was abberation. Not a trend. We list for a good portion on the year not just the #1 guy but 18 was hurt. So was 88 and 17. Jones was what he was but older. 27 had issues. And yes so did 12. Perfect storm. And teams /players have down years. My concerns. Adams was oversold after 1 year. Cobb needs Nelson to get space. He's not a #1. Lacy? It's more than injury and weight. Something else there is off. And last but not least OL depth. If the trend continues yes I'll get worried. But not in a panic

We need a swing tackle. Other than that our Oline is set. Maybe a T to challenge Bakhtiari.

I felt like Aaron was tanking it last season. He's always been a bit of a grudge holding head case. But the real problem with this offense is Mike's fear-based game management. It has cost us the last two post seasons.

Granted, the D gave up the big play in OT, but we'd have never have been there if Mike didn't go into a shell late in that game. And the mistake was by a rookie, you gotta live with those. Capers and his guys stepped way up this year. Hate to say it but Mike was the weak link two years in a row.

We need a swing tackle. Other than that our Oline is set. Maybe a T to challenge Bakhtiari.

I felt like Aaron was tanking it last season. He's always been a bit of a grudge holding head case. But the real problem with this offense is Mike's fear-based game management. It has cost us the last two post seasons.

Granted, the D gave up the big play in OT, but we'd have never have been there if Mike didn't go into a shell late in that game. And the mistake was by a rookie, you gotta live with those. Capers and his guys stepped way up this year. Hate to say it but Mike was the weak link two years in a row.
You lost me at Rodgers tanking it. Absurd

Not really Pack... Tanking might not be the best word, but mentally he checked out of it for some of those games. Yips plain and simple.
The yips yes. Agree. But tanking it no

Tanking to me is equivalent to throwing a game. Big difference than having the yips

I'm with you on that Pack.

There wasn't a group in the offense that doesn't get some blame for the failings of 2015. QB, RB, WR, TE, OL all had their problems. Much of it was injury related so that is why I have a ton of optimism for 2016. Only starters that weren't on the weekly injury report at one point or another were A. Rodgers and R. Rodgers.

Back