Packers Among Teams Interested in Signing Watt

This is based on PFF numbers so take it for what it’s worth, but they basically think he’s washed as an outside rusher but still top 5-10 as a DT interior rusher. On the flip side, he’s been excellent as a run defender as a DE against TEs and lighter tackles, but subpar against the run as a DT. So if that’s the kind of player you’re getting - interior pass rusher, just OK against the run, will need to play limited snaps - how much is that worth? It’s a realistic take IMO, and food for thought.

This is based on PFF numbers so take it for what it’s worth, but they basically think he’s washed as an outside rusher but still top 5-10 as a DT interior rusher. On the flip side, he’s been excellent as a run defender as a DE against TEs and lighter tackles, but subpar against the run as a DT. So if that’s the kind of player you’re getting - interior pass rusher, just OK against the run, will need to play limited snaps - how much is that worth? It’s a realistic take IMO, and food for thought.
I can keep Clark inside full-time and draft an outside edge rusher and be further ahead in multiple ways. He's just not worth the risk.

I can keep Clark inside full-time and draft an outside edge rusher and be further ahead in multiple ways. He's just not worth the risk.
How are you anticipating the DL/front 7 plays under Barry vs Pettine?

How are you anticipating the DL/front 7 plays under Barry vs Pettine?
Like this >>
In Fangio’s scheme, the NT lines up off the center’s shoulder on the strong-side (same side as TE) and is only responsible for the gap in front of him. This requires a different type of NT as opposed to the classic space-eater used in standard 3-4 schemes. The NT in Fangio’s scheme needs to have the quickness to beat interior lineman off the snap and the strength to hold his ground against double-teams in the run game.

The DEs in a 3-4 are normally run-stoppers who focus on occupying two blockers, clogging run lanes, and eventually pressuring QBs if the coverage holds. In Fangio’s scheme one of the DEs moves inside to the 3-tech DT position. The 3-tech DT (#91) lines up between the guard and tackle on the weak side and is ideally the D-line’s best pass rusher. The 3-tech DT’s responsibility is to generate interior pressure on pass plays and get in the backfield to disrupt the running game. The 3rd D-lineman in Fangio’s scheme (#94) is close to a standard 3-4 DE but usually shades the strong-side tackle’s outside shoulder. The 5-tech DE’s role requires the ability to hold his ground against the run despite frequent double teams. If the DE can force a double team it frees up the lanes on either side of him for the linebackers.
Clark >>> The 3-tech DT (#91) lines up between the guard and tackle on the weak side and is ideally the D-line’s best pass rusher. The 3-tech DT’s responsibility is to generate interior pressure on pass plays and get in the backfield to disrupt the running game.

I think that, unless a younger and more reasonable priced FA drops in GB’s lap, that they need to draft 2 DL.
One DT, and one DE.
Previlon was on the PS all last season, but he’s a long shot to be any kind of solution.
This is a critical draft.

I think Watt is going to get overpaid I can see some team paying him 3 years $30 million with 10-15 guaranteed

I think Watt is going to get overpaid I can see some team paying him 3 years $30 million with 10-15 guaranteed
$10m is worth the gamble to some team and it’s not really overpaid. Years and AAV are irrelevant

I like Nixon.
Alim McNeil has done a virtual interview with Packers already.
So he’s, possibly, in the mix at this point

Back