Packers Among Teams Interested in Signing Watt

J.J. Watt was double teamed more than any other edge rusher in the NFL last season – at a rate 30.1%, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Za'Darius Smith was second (27.2%). That alone likely makes Watt intriguing to Packers' GM Brian Gutekunst, who has expressed interest in the former Texan (according to Bill Huber of PackerCentral/SI)

J.J. Watt was double teamed more than any other edge rusher in the NFL last season – at a rate 30.1%, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Za'Darius Smith was second (27.2%). That alone likely makes Watt intriguing to Packers' GM Brian Gutekunst, who has expressed interest in the former Texan (according to Bill Huber of PackerCentral/SI)
bh) bh) come on man stop with the groupie reporter stuff.... it's all about greedy(

I get the sense that a lot of Packer fans are feel it’s their birthright to see famous Wisconsin athletes play for the team, so they are going to have a bad day when he signs somewhere else.

IMO he wants to play in Pittsburgh with his bros.

I get the sense that a lot of Packer fans are feel it’s their birthright to see famous Wisconsin athletes play for the team, so they are going to have a bad day when he signs somewhere else.

IMO he wants to play in Pittsburgh with his bros.
The homer in a lot of us probably would like to see this, the comment he made to Peter King that It was his dream to play at Lambeau and that he attended practice just put gas on the fire but taking the green and gold glasses off its not the best long term and short term for the organization

My bet is Tennessee but who knows, like I have said he and Condon knew the market before he got released

Last edited:
I wouldn’t be upset if they signed him, it’s not my money and he can still play. But some fans are really attached to this guy, it’s kinda nuts.

I wouldn’t be upset if they signed him, it’s not my money and he can still play. But some fans are really attached to this guy, it’s kinda nuts.
yeah he's the perfect Wisconsin story, from Pewaukee, transferred to UW as a walk on to an All American and NFL draft pick in round 1

The problem here is your in a very risk/ meh reward situation and would need to put a great deal of cap into signing him rather than going and acquiring younger talent.... we need speed. TB proved that twice last year and he doesn't solve the issue.

Has there been any real news on who Watt has visited or had serious contact?

Has there been any real news on who Watt has visited or had serious contact?
no and doubtful there will. As I have said before he knew the market and who had interest before he was released. This was not some spur of the moment decision and plan

J.J. Watt could have a new team by as early as Friday and while many believe Watt would love to land on the Steelers with his brothers, another AFC North team has emerged and is being seriously considered per a report.

Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com, is reporting that the Browns have what Watt is looking for.

According to the report, Watt is looking for a chance to win the Super Bowl and money, and the Browns can offer both of those things.

The Browns were pretty relevant this year, and their head coach Kevin Stefanski even won Coach of the Year.

Adding a player like J.J. Watt would be huge for the Browns considering they have Myles Garrett on the other side. Watt is a five time first team All-Pro who will not come cheap, but would the Browns be willing to give him what he was expected to make with the Texans this year if he remained on the team?

The Texans were expected to pay him 17.5 million. The Browns do have the cap space to make that happen, but will they do it? The Browns are 10th in the NFL right now with the most cap space at 21.7 million, but if they could add Watt and his 101 career sacks they could be the team to beat in the AFC North.

It will be something to watch moving forward.

Back