Packers 2022 Thread

Even Captain Obvious can understand that this is Aaron Jones last year in GB.

This is probably true. The thing that's interesting is that for 2023 the Packers only have 25 guys under contract as of now. As of this moment they are about $80+mil under the CAP, depending on how the CAP number shakes out for next year. (and that includes AR's $33mil CAP hit for 2023) If AR is gone they'll have even more CAP space.

If as you suggested in "shout" that this team will need to take a hard turn in the direction of draft and develop, (which I agree with), they may be willing to absorb some of these big CAP hits because they will fill the roster with draft picks and low priced UDFAs and street free agents. That'll leave them room to do contracts on Alexander, Jenkins and Gary.

How can we be $80M under the cap - including Rodgers?

That's a ton of money to keep guys.

This is probably true. The thing that's interesting is that for 2023 the Packers only have 25 guys under contract as of now. As of this moment they are about $80+mil under the CAP, depending on how the CAP number shakes out for next year. (and that includes AR's $33mil CAP hit for 2023) If AR is gone they'll have even more CAP space.
You can't know those numbers as next year's cap number isn't a set year it's just an estimate. We also don't know what if any new contract AR will get( it won't be the same# as today).

Let's stick to 2022( as in the thread name)

Two things:

1.) Was against giving Jones a big money contract. He's a nice piece to have but not elite like Taylor or King Henry or a couple of others. Add in that at least from my memory has only played one entire season w/o missing any time to injury. He can't carry a team and imo that is the kind of money he was paid.

As much as it sucks for RBs in today's game, RB is the one position that has been devalued. Also add in that the average RB doesn't last in NFL due to the punishment of wear and tear on their bodies as other positions.

IK some hate me referencing the Pats a lot, but when they have the rings and your team only made it to the dance once (w AR) it warrants the comparison. Pats have either drafted or signed RBs on friendly deals and not invested the big bucks at the position, like Dallas did w Elliot and are stuck as his production went down.

2.) Alexander....love him and was glad to see him realize the potential I saw in him when we drafted him.

That said, when he was out w injury, our Secondary still was good for the most part w Douglas and Stokes. Wasn't high on Stokes when we drafted him and had another player for Corner in Rd 2.

So was pleasantly surprised that Stokes out played my expectations. Just needs to spend some time q the jugs machine as he had drops that could have been INTs.

Douglas was a nice pickup and a surprise making key INTs in games.

The weak link right now is a guy was high on when drafted but has yet to realize his potential in Safety Savage.

The Pats parted ways with Gilmore who many consider the best Corner in NFL but wanted to get a new big money deal. But didn't miss a beat cuz of undrafted free agent who became one of the best Corners. Believe his last name is Jackson but might have that wrong on name.

Point is sometimes hard decisions have to be made and every year there are players you hate to let go but can't afford to pay everyone w current cap and salaries escalating

Two things:

1.) Was against giving Jones a big money contract. He's a nice piece to have but not elite like Taylor or King Henry or a couple of others. Add in that at least from my memory has only played one entire season w/o missing any time to injury. He can't carry a team and imo that is the kind of money he was paid.

As much as it sucks for RBs in today's game, RB is the one position that has been devalued. Also add in that the average RB doesn't last in NFL due to the punishment of wear and tear on their bodies as other positions.

IK some hate me referencing the Pats a lot, but when they have the rings and your team only made it to the dance once (w AR) it warrants the comparison. Pats have either drafted or signed RBs on friendly deals and not invested the big bucks at the position, like Dallas did w Elliot and are stuck as his production went down.

2.) Alexander....love him and was glad to see him realize the potential I saw in him when we drafted him.

That said, when he was out w injury, our Secondary still was good for the most part w Douglas and Stokes. Wasn't high on Stokes when we drafted him and had another player for Corner in Rd 2.

So was pleasantly surprised that Stokes out played my expectations. Just needs to spend some time q the jugs machine as he had drops that could have been INTs.

The weak link right now is a guy was high on when drafted but has yet to realize his potential in Safety Savage.

The Pats parted ways with Gilmore who many consider the best Corner in NFL but wanted to get a new big money deal. But didn't miss a beat cuz of undrafted free agent who became one of the best Corners. Believe his last name is Jackson but might have that wrong on name.

Point is sometimes hard decisions have to be made and every year there are players you hate to let go but can't afford to pay everyone w current cap and salaries escalating
T. I floated the idea a few days ago of trading Jaire this off season if they can get a couple high picks for him.
Extending his contract is going to mean adding another $100M+ contract to the ledger and I just don’t see how that is in the cards given the current situation.
While I consider it a desperation move, I don’t see it as out of the realm off possibility.

Two things:

Alexander is 6 years younger than Gilmore, the reason NE cut bait was you don't pay a 31 year old CB that amount of cash. If he was 26 he's still there. You need CB in this league and Alexander is close to elite and in his prime. You don't just cut bait

You can't know those numbers as next year's cap number isn't a set year it's just an estimate. We also don't know what if any new contract AR will get( it won't be the same# as today).

Let's stick to 2022( as in the thread name)

With all due respect, I wasn't trying to turn it into a 2023 thread but was looking at it the way the team might be. I'm sure the Packers F.O. is looking ahead. My point, which I maybe didn't make well, was that they don't have many contracts going out beyond 2022. If they backload all these deals, and plan to keep these guys, they may be thinking they have the flexibility to take a low cost strategy in terms of how they fill the roster. since they don't have as many long term commitments. It was meant to support danno's theory he mentioned in shout that they will have to go heavy in terms of draft and develop if they keep on doing these CAP gymnastics this year.

With all due respect, I wasn't trying to turn it into a 2023 thread but was looking at it the way the team might be. I'm sure the Packers F.O. is looking ahead. My point, which I maybe didn't make well, was that they don't have many contracts going out beyond 2022. If they backload all these deals, and plan to keep these guys, they may be thinking they have the flexibility to take a low cost strategy in terms of how they fill the roster. since they don't have as many long term commitments. It was meant to support danno's theory he mentioned in shout that they will have to go heavy in terms of draft and develop if they keep on doing these CAP gymnastics this year.
Or they can continue to kick the can down the road and adjust and restructure on thr fly. And, not trying or even attempting to make this a 2023 and beyond thread the cap should jump emensly in the next 2 years based on new revenue deals, the Amazon TV deal and Sunday Ticket deal.

Back