Packers 2022 Thread

Alexander is 6 years younger than Gilmore, the reason NE cut bait was you don't pay a 31 year old CB that amount of cash. If he was 26 he's still there. You need CB in this league and Alexander is close to elite and in his prime. You don't just cut bait
No debating the comparison of Alexander to Gilmore. Agree with the premise.
But with Bak and Clark contracts on the books, and Jaire expecting north of $100M soon to be followed by Gary, the x-factor in keeping Jaire (now) becomes what they do with the Rodgers/Adams deals.

If they both leave, Jaire gets his deal. If they either/both stay, I just can’t see how they fit Jaire in.

There’s already been too much kicking the can down the road in terms of void years on contracts. What they do going forward could nuke the Packers cap for several years to come.

No debating the comparison of Alexander to Gilmore. Agree with the premise.
But with Bak and Clark contracts on the books, and Jaire expecting north of $100M soon to be followed by Gary, the x-factor in keeping Jaire (now) becomes what they do with the Rodgers/Adams deals.

If they both leave, Jaire gets his deal. If they either/both stay, I just can’t see how they fit Jaire in.

There’s already been too much kicking the can down the road in terms of void years on contracts. What they do going forward could nuke the Packers cap for several years to come.
At least with Alexander you can keep the cap number low the first year or so with low base and allow the SB to be prorated over 5 years. GB has for years also used roster bonuses to mitigate the hits early.

At least with Alexander you can keep the cap number low the first year or so with low base and allow the SB to be prorated over 5 years. GB has for years also used roster bonuses to mitigate the hits early.
I think there are two things that complicate this decision.
1) The Packers have expressed the desire to keep Rasul Douglas, and an extension for him would be much more manageable than an extension for Jaire.
2) The medicals on Jaire’s shoulder. Does it have the potential to become chronic? And therefore career threatening/shortening.

JMHO, but I think the Packers have a lot to figure out on Jaire before they throw north or $100M his way.

I think there are two things that complicate this decision.
1) The Packers have expressed the desire to keep Rasul Douglas, and an extension for him would be much more manageable than an extension for Jaire.
2) The medicals on Jaire’s shoulder. Does it have the potential to become chronic? And therefore career threatening/shortening.

JMHO, but I think the Packers have a lot to figure out on Jaire before they throw north or $100M his way.
The medicals much more than Douglass. On talent alone I give the $$$ to Alexander, and on Douglas the sample size really small. And let’s not get hung up on the $100m / APY number. It’s about structure, has been always will be.

The medicals much more than Douglass. On talent alone I give the $$$ to Alexander, and on Douglas the sample size really small. And let’s not get hung up on the $100m / APY number. It’s about structure, has been always will be.
Totally understand about the structure, but get the feeling they will need to absorb somewhere around $60M in guaranteed money.
If the medical checks out, I can see them wanting to keep him.
But if there are any long term questions about his durability going forward, then I think they need to pivot.

Totally understand about the structure, but get the feeling they will need to absorb somewhere around $60M in guaranteed money.
If the medical checks out, I can see them wanting to keep him.
But if there are any long term questions about his durability going forward, then I think they need to pivot.
Your point is valid. The long term issues can be addressed with roster bonuses and such which I am sure Alexander will not be happy about but it’s a business

Is he wrong about Rodgers? I don't think so.
If you believe the $50m number yes or the why that number is out there.

Just me and said it yesterday. I just think he is close to walking and Murphy asked “what wound it take?” Dunn threw that number out to see if it stuck. The offer of $50m reaks of desperation and Dunn know that $50m is just not workable, unless Murphy is desperate…..or Dunn trying to see what the “open market” would bring …a trial balloon

Back