Packers 2022 Thread

It's interesting seeing how people work at manipulating the cap to keep people on the roster. I'd bet that's a large part of every day at 1265 Lombardi Avenue. Trying to figure out how to make the whole thing work in 2022, and beyond. It's very difficult.

What makes matters even more interesting is whether or not the players in question are even interested in going along with the program. I wonder how many would balk at taking deals, unless there were voidable years that they could walk away, and still have gotten a nice paycheck paid out front for having signed the deal. Rest assured, the agents are all angling for the best deal for their clients, no matter where it is, not anything to make a team happy.
Typically teams project cash out and cap for 5 years and thing is cash out is just as important as cap and most restructures like this the cash out with conversation to SB from base give guys cash access right away

Those 5 years of working in the same offices as Octagon were very educational to say the least

You know, since Rodgers wants to keep the band together for another run, AND since he’s such an intelligent guy, why not have him sit down with Russ Ball and crunch the numbers on how to make this work.
Then, have Aaron go and pitch it to his teammates, along with his kumbaya gratitude that he’s so full of.
I would not want another player to know the team financials. Lot of legal issues

Clark was certainly the easiest decision and easiest to accomplish. A no brainer.

Next easiest, in a sense, is cutting ZSmith. There's no desire on anyone's part to continue the relationship, it seems. I'm not sure why this hasn't already been done unless they are holding out some vague hope that someone will trade for him.

Other than the sentimental reasons, the next easiest moves are cutting Cobb and Crosby. AR might have issues with both. (Which is why I'd like to just move on from him.)

After that things get tougher. You can get some money with a small re-work of BakhT's deal but then you are really on the hook for him for 2 seasons and pretty big CAP implications in future year(s).

Cutting Lowry makes some sense except he just came off his best season and you lost Keke. Maybe Barry wants him. Is a conversion of salary to bonus something they are looking at with him as well?

The rest are all contract re-writes on guys like Amos, PSmith, Alexander, Turner?, others?, and those things take time.

The next 2+ weeks will be interesting, to say the least.

Clark was certainly the easiest decision and easiest to accomplish. A no brainer.

Next easiest, in a sense, is cutting ZSmith. There's no desire on anyone's part to continue the relationship, it seems. I'm not sure why this hasn't already been done unless they are holding out some vague hope that someone will trade for him.

Other than the sentimental reasons, the next easiest moves are cutting Cobb and Crosby. AR might have issues with both. (Which is why I'd like to just move on from him.)

After that things get tougher. You can get some money with a small re-work of BakhT's deal but then you are really on the hook for him for 2 seasons and pretty big CAP implications in future year(s).

Cutting Lowry makes some sense except he just came off his best season and you lost Keke. Maybe Barry wants him. Is a conversion of salary to bonus something they are looking at with him as well?

The rest are all contract re-writes on guys like Amos, PSmith, Alexander, Turner?, others?, and those things take time.

The next 2+ weeks will be interesting, to say the least.
IMO the easy decisions are cutting Crosby, Cobb, Z Smith, Turner, Lewis and Lowry. I honestly don't think any of those cuts make the team appreciably worse. The painful but necessary move is cutting P Smith. That gets you were you need to be. Then you factor in restructure for Bakhtiari (result is modest but helpful), new deal for Alexander to open up more room, then whatever they're going to do with Rodgers (extend or trade).

His honorable gauntness will walk away if they can’t find a way to keep Adams, and to a slightly lesser degree the same might be said of his merry band of brothers (Cobb, Crosby, & Lewis).

Terminate any/all of them and it could be later-gater.

There's also room to restructure Amos. Per over the cap, by cutting Crosby, Cobb, Z, P, Turner, Lewis, Lowry, and restructuring Amos and Bahktiari, I'm at $17.17m under the cap. That's without extending Jaire or reducing Aaron's $47m cap number.

Are players really linking their restructuring or resigning to AR? If so, what are their assurances that he does come back and does come back for another 3 or 4 years?

If these players are saying "Hey, or best chance to win is with AR"....how long does AR stay?

Last edited:
Are players really linking their restructuring or resigning of AR? If so, what are their assurances that he does come back and does come back for another 3 or 4 years?

If these players are saying "Hey, or best chance to win is with AR"....how long does AR stay?
Guaranteed money will be enticing enough.

Back