Official Week 8 Green Bay vs LA Rams Thread

Rams 24-13. The Packers are melting. My estimate of 7 wins this year are beginning to look like a reach. I should adjust downward now, to about 5.

This might sound like a dumb question, but based on what I've seen, is it possible that LeFleur and/or Gute are on a short leash at this point, and could be gone when the season ends? It wouldn't be the first time people in positions similar to what they are in get the boot, despite their records from previous years.

Just curious more than anything. Some of the little things we've been hearing now kind of takes the luster off of what seemed like a bright and shiny operation. It's beginning to sound a bit disjointed, and maybe LeFleur carries chips on his shoulder. Not a good thing on his job.

Even if they are on a short leash, do we trust Murphy to hire the right GM and HC? Also, who would work for someone that is going to be retired in a year and a half?

I honestly think we are stuck like this until Murphy is out.

DC, OL, WR, and S coaches should all be gone.

GB probably ends year with 5 wins. I’m guessing there is a win somewhere in there that nobody is expecting.

This year is a throw away. After next year I wonder if things are as bad if they make changes then.

Murphy is done in 2025, I doubt he makes another round of hires at GM and HC under his name anyway. I've assumed Ed Policy for about 5-6 years now will be the next guy but I don't see any GM/HC changes until the President spot turns over. It's a conservative organization, Packers way, etc etc.

DC, OL, the defensive backfield, OC are all under the microscope.
I agree. I think LeFleur and Gutey will get a one year reprieve, but several sacrificial heads will roll. Some should. The problem is, when you bring in assistants who are pretty confident the guys who hire them are on a short leash, it's not a comfortable position. You usually don't get the best candidates out there, because most of them are more inclined to work for jobs that have a little more long term potential.

Why do I say that? Because that's exactly what a couple of NFL assistants told me in the past. They'd take less money for a job if it offered more of a future, than one year. The reason? You learn more, and can show more, as to what your capabilities are. The next job can be a step up, not necessarily lateral or a step down. It made sense.

As for LeFleur, and Gutey, they either turn in a winning record next year or they can both pack their bags. As a parting gift to the Packers, in 2025, They'll both be gone, along with the assistants, so the new President replacing Murphy will be able to choose his own people to take those important jobs. I'm not certain what would play out on Ball. I have a hunch he's doing nothing more than trying to turn pennies into dollars, to try to keep the whole thing in the black on cap space. I wonder if he's the one who puts the stamp of approval on the contracts, or is just the guy who is told to "make it happen?"

We'll know more, I believe, before next season, as roles become redefined. Murphy is not going to take the fall for the failures.

i remember how excited we all were to replace the aging mike mccarthy with a young, upcoming matt lafleur. and that excitement sure seemed legit when he started out with three straight 13-win seasons. now there are many who can't wait until he's gone. i put far more of the blame for what has happened this year (and last year) on whomever is pulling the strings in the draft and free agency decisions than on ml, but i don't think he is completely blameless. he is very stubborn when it comes to his staff decisions. dingleberry should have been shown the door long ago. he was a bad hire and most people knew that from day one. and whatever is going on with our position coaches is just plain ridiculous.

it's just a truly sad thing to watch as we slip back into the 1970s.

Last edited:
Even if they are on a short leash, do we trust Murphy to hire the right GM and HC? Also, who would work for someone that is going to be retired in a year and a half?

I honestly think we are stuck like this until Murphy is out.
That, to me, is a real problem too. Tenure isn't long enough for a lot of coaches to be interested in the job.

i remember how excited we all were to replace the aging mike mccarthy with a young, upcoming matt lafleur. and that excitement sure seemed legit when he started out with three straight 13-win seasons. now there are many who can't wait until he's gone. i put far more of the blame for what has happened this year (and last year) on whomever is pulling the strings in the draft and free agency decisions than on nl, but i don't think he is completely blameless. he is very stubborn when it comes to his staff decisions. dingleberry should have been shown the door long ago. he was a bad hire and most people knew that from day one. and whatever is going on with our position coaches is just plain ridiculous.

Is it safe to say now, that AR is gone, we are seeing how his offense and team is supposed to run? I'm not down on ML but he is the HC and some of the decisions and heat does fall at his feet but I'm not as high on Gutey and Co. as some might be at this point. This year is a mess for sure and there is plenty of blame to go around.

i remember how excited we all were to replace the aging mike mccarthy with a young, upcoming matt lafleur. and that excitement sure seemed legit when he started out with three straight 13-win seasons. now there are many who can't wait until he's gone. i put far more of the blame for what has happened this year (and last year) on whomever is pulling the strings in the draft and free agency decisions than on nl, but i don't think he is completely blameless. he is very stubborn when it comes to his staff decisions. dingleberry should have been shown the door long ago. he was a bad hire and most people knew that from day one. and whatever is going on with our position coaches is just plain ridiculous.

Don't think we are there yet, I've been preaching about the ramifications as has FlaPack about this management approach for how many years? This year is the payment due, it's fixable but it might take a year or two.

Back