Official 2020 Week 8 Green Bay vs San Francisco Thread

I agree with you Pack. Our defense is not on the top of the talent list. But, what is infuriating to me, they are no where near the tops of the hustle and effort list. It's been this way for a long time. I just don't get how you draft or sign defensive players that don't appear to like to hit.
Couple of reasons. Tackling or lack of starts at the college level. Just watch some games on Saturdays even at P5 schools and it’s apparent. Another is some of these kids played out of position at the college level and are not prepared for the pro game. It’s faster and more physical I don’t buy the no hustle or effort thing. Lack of energy at times yes.

i think you're exaggerating, but let's assume you are correct. that would mean that our player acquisition people are completely incompetent. not just bad at their jobs, but atrocious. how can you be running the procurement of on-field personnel for one of the nfl's most successful franchises and be that horrible at your job?

not including this year's sraft, in the previous five drafts we used 13 of the picks in rounds 1-3 on defensive players and only four on offense. our defense should be loaded with talent.
Yes I think our college and pro evaluation people are awful. Gary was reach, he’s not a OLB, Jackson should be a safety and that’s even questionable based on his film at Iowa. Burks was a safety at Vandy, he’s has no instincts to play ILB. We have reached for guys and also tried to put square pegs in round holes. As to pro, other than Z Smith our ROI has been poor.

Yes I think our college and pro evaluation people are awful. Gary was reach, he’s not a OLB, Jackson should be a safety and that’s even questionable based on his film at Iowa. Burks was a safety at Vandy, he’s has no instincts to play ILB. We have reached for guys and also tried to put square pegs in round holes. As to pro, other than Z Smith our ROI has been poor.
Have to question are the scouts that bad or has Ted and Gute just ignored any reports and advice given to them and just go by the film they watch and what they think of a guy when drafting.

Have to question are the scouts that bad or has Ted and Gute just ignored any reports and advice given to them and just go by the film they watch and what they think of a guy when drafting.
Both GM’s have scouted in person it’s not just film and I don’t think they ignore scouts or other FO staff. Its a team effort

Regarding Gary. Wasn't a knock on him that he took plays off - a lot of plays off? Lack of energy - lack of hustle lack of desire - whatever. Why are we drafting a guy like that?

And, why oh why are we drafting "square pegs for round holes" (which I agree we seem to do way too much)?

And, another thing. We haven't done so good evaluating what talent we have in Green Bay. There's at least a couple of guys that we let walk that are playing well elsewhere - or at least more consistent than what we have. Hyde and Hayward come to mind.

Our stocking of the defense has been horrible.

If I was ML, I would start to question whether this front office can get it done. He needs the right ingredients to do his cooking but I'm not impressed with what I've seen from Gutey.

I have zero respect for the talent evaluation ability of anyone within the Packers organization. At this point I'd rather they didn't make any trades, sign any free agents, or do a darned thing, because I believe they need to find people out there in the football world that they'll listen to, and make better judgement based on their opinions, and observations. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if we see a major overhaul of the internals in all areas of building the roster over the next few years. It's obvious that not one of their moves has actually been one that has had a ROI equal to the money thrown at the players. Pointing at Smith as a singular success is not acceptable in the scheme of roster building for the future. He's only there for the short term, and will be gone.

If you want to feel the depth of how poorly the Packers evaluate talent, ask yourself this one question. What could the Packers get today for Love, in a trade? Your answer to that question will tell you pretty much what you need to know.

Regarding Gary. Wasn't a knock on him that he took plays off - a lot of plays off? Lack of energy - lack of hustle lack of desire - whatever. Why are we drafting a guy like that?

And, why oh why are we drafting "square pegs for round holes" (which I agree we seem to do way too much)?

And, another thing. We haven't done so good evaluating what talent we have in Green Bay. There's at least a couple of guys that we let walk that are playing well elsewhere - or at least more consistent than what we have. Hyde and Hayward come to mind.

Our stocking of the defense has been horrible.
Heyward had one good year (2016) for the Chargers but he’s been pretty pedestrian. King is more athletic so no loss there. Hyde is want he is but would he be an upgrade over Savage ? No. Amos maybe

If you want to feel the depth of how poorly the Packers evaluate talent, ask yourself this one question. What could the Packers get today for Love, in a trade? Your answer to that question will tell you pretty much what you need to know.
Probably a 2. That was his value on draft day. But based on the QB pool out there who knows.

Back