Lowest Point in your Packer Fandom?

What's the difference between a branch of the armed forces buying TV time to run PR/recruiting commercials vs. paying the Packers to do the same kinds of stuff in front of a crowd or that at times shows up on TV?

Very little. Either way the money flows either directly to the Packers or indirectly through apportionment of the TV contract revenue.

Or look at it this way...should the networks give away free air time for PR/recruiting ads when the Defense Department has a $500 billion - $1 trillion budget depending on the current state of war? If not, then why should the Packers not accept payment for running ads on the scoreboard?

In regards to the O.P., the question for me is: "Did the Packers go looking for the money, or did the money come looking for the Packers". Until we know how this went down in more detail, I have absolutely no problem with this.

If the Packers said, "hey we want to honor some vets, how about some cash", then I have a problem. If the military came to the Packers and said, "we'd like to honor some vets and work with you guys because we like what your organization represents and we want to use the "Packer" name to help us recruit", then the Packers were more than in-bounds on taking the money.

In the second scenario, the Packers did not "use" the vets to make money, the military used their own people to "advertise".

I have no problem with the military doing things like this. The military and the men and women that are it's member have a dual role that sometimes is difficult to reconcile. They perform an honorable and noble mission that is selfless, BUT they are also part of something that essentially has a business aspect to it. They need to recruit good people and that takes money. They have budgets and need to use them to best advantage. The people in service are paid and some are looking for things like money for college as part of their motivation. You need to sell the idea of military service to many of them. Much like a church, there is the noble mission, but there is also an everyday financial reality that cannot be ignored.

No matter the scenario the Packers took the good will from putting on the displays as if it was done out of the goodness of their hearts and their respect for our military...that has proven to be inaccurate, and that's shameful to me.

It was a $50,000 deal. Not even in the universe what an NFL local team sponsorship run. And no this was nor a sponsorship IMO. But I digress. If they used it for recruitung GB gave them a sweetheart deal

No matter the scenario the Packers took the good will from putting on the displays as if it was done out of the goodness of their hearts and their respect for our military...that has proven to be inaccurate, and that's shameful to me.

To me, that's the only thing that matters. Personally, I am way beyond fed up with all this "let's honor the vets" hoopla (and all the hyper-patriotic ceremonies at every imaginable public gathering these days), but if that's the way the Pentagon wants to spend their PR money, it's their business, not mine. I have no problem with it; I think it's perfectly appropriate.

And, if the Packers want to take some of that money to help the cash flow out a bit, then again - more power to 'em. If someone's offering it, grab it. I got no problem there, either.

But when they take the money and pretend that they're doing it out of their own pockets because of their noble principles, that's where I get off. That's a flatout lie, and I'm offended. If they'd told the truth about it, and everything was aboveboard, nobody could beef about it. But I'm really ashamed of them, and disgusted with them.

Lowest point in my life as a Packer fan? No, not even close. But I've lost a hell of a lot of respect for the organization, and I doubt they'll ever get it back. Something of the qualities that made the Packers special in my eyes - unique among professional franchises - is gone, and it's not coming back. I suppose I was naive to some extent in how highly I regarded this organization, but now I've been brought back down to Earth somewhat.

Every freakin' season, the people who run this game that I grew up loving so much manage to find a new way to ruin it a little bit more for me.

It was a $50,000 deal. Not even in the universe what an NFL local team sponsorship run. And no this was nor a sponsorship IMO. But I digress. If they used it for recruitung GB gave them a sweetheart deal

This, to me, sounds similar to saying that it's okay to get a prostitute on Friday night because she only charged 50 bucks and it only matters if she offered the date or you went seeking it, as if that would make some kind of difference. In the end, no matter, it's still prostitution. The Packers prostituted themselves and made it look like they had a legit date and I'm saddened to learn they were really out with a hired girl. That's how it is to me.

Now, when they honor a child with a terminal illness, or something along those lines, I'm going to be wondering if they took money to do it. That is what's lost here the idea that our org truly has a heart not some blacked business piece of coal where their heart should be. To say it's okay is akin to saying all the other orgs would do it. I expect our org to be different and above these kinds of things. We aren't and for that I'm disappointed.

The Packers prostituted themselves and made it look like they had a legit date and I'm saddened to learn they were really out with a hired girl. That's how it is to me.

Hardly. It's kind of odd that you see things in terms of prostitution?

The military has an absolute right to spend their recruiting money however they wish.

Does anyone honestly believe that not only the Packers but most teams did so because of the money?

Now, when they honor a child with a terminal illness, or something along those lines, I'm going to be wondering if they took money to do it.

Wow. That's sad.

Personally, I am way beyond fed up with all this "let's honor the vets" hoopla (and all the hyper-patriotic ceremonies at every imaginable public gathering these days)

Man, FT.

All I can do is assume that many of your ancestors did not lose their lives in war after war after war.

Starting in 1539 for me.

:)

OH! My lowest point in Packer Fandom.

hm.

Probably watching Favre driving up to the giants game and then cowering inside the tunnel because it was cold.

As soon as I saw that, I knew we would lose.

Hated the fail mary.

Totally blowing it in the last 3 minutes of the Seattle game.

To me, that's the only thing that matters. Personally, I am way beyond fed up with all this "let's honor the vets" hoopla (and all the hyper-patriotic ceremonies at every imaginable public gathering these days), but if that's the way the Pentagon wants to spend their PR money, it's their business, not mine. I have no problem with it; I think it's perfectly appropriate.

Every freakin' season, the people who run this game that I grew up loving so much manage to find a new way to ruin it a little bit more for me.

Since the thread is still running, despite the question of being a Packers football topic, I'll ask here instead of a PM. Regarding the first paragraph, are you beyond fed up with the "honor" part, the "vets" part, or the "hoopla", and what determines the "hyper" part of the ceremonies?

Does the second paragraph refer at all to the patriotic shows when you were growing up (and when was that?), in which case who paid for what then, or what else is it that's ruining the game for you?

Tried not to, but I also can't help asking if you (or someone close to you) ever served and if you think it's inappropriate to wave the flag in appreciation for what we have.

Back