Lowest Point in your Packer Fandom?

I just don't see where the team pretended it was for free. What did I miss. I'll say it one more time. The fee, sponsorship whatever you want to call it was for Guard recruiting efforts. Yes the event was part of that deal but it's not like the team "took" money.

Typically, when someone is a sponsor, you will hear verbiage such as: Now, here's a few words from our sponsor, Pepsi...etc. Everyone knows Oneida Nation is a sponsor. The Packers don't have their signs up because they're native american friendly...they're there because they pay to be. I believed the Packers honored the military for honoring's sake...if that makes me a dupe to you then I'm a dupe. I just don't think anyone here or elsewhere thought those patriotic displays were any kind of business deal, but they were.

Now, if the Packers trot out a marching band at halftime I'll seriously wonder if it's because the Packers want to entertain the Lambeau faithful or if they've just taken money from whatever university the band is from. Those are things I didn't have to think about before the knowledge of what the patriotic displays were about.

Have the Packers ever done a tribute to honor vets before the military paid them? I believe they have. If the military came to them and wanted to increase the scope of the ceremony and were willing to cover the cost of it, I don't see how they did anything unethical or even deceitful. Does the $50,000 that they were paid even cover the cost of placing 80,000+ colored pieces of cardboard to create the stadium flag effect? The fireworks? The fly over? Is it possible that the added funds allowed them to do a bigger much more impactful tribute? Ask yourself, how much would Chevy or Coke have to pay for the same kind of display before a game? I bet it would be 10x or 20x the price. To think that they actually made money on this is a stretch and they could have passed on the tribute and made huge money doing actual advertising. I chose my avatar because I was at that game and thought it was a fantastic experience and a really cool way to honor the troops. Hearing that the DOD helped to cover the cost doesn't diminish it in any way to me.

That's an interesting point of view. Very fresh perspective, and thought-provoking (for me, anyway). I had not considered that at all.

The $50,000 fee was like giving it away. Normal NFL local deals begin at low to mid six figures

Back