It's not Eliot Wolf we need to keep.......

TT remaining in an advisory role probably isn't the best idea, but it really depends on structure and what the understanding is regarding autonomy of the new GM by Murphy and the BOD. The Brewers kept Doug Melvin around in an advisory capacity and it certainly didn't seem like it caused Stearns any issues at all. He went full speed ahead with his rebuild plan. You never even heard Melvin's name all season.

If TT is allowed to keep any power then it would be bad. If he's simply put in a scouting or advisory capacity I don't see a problem. TT is not a media hound. He won't be talking to the press or undermining the new GM. He may disagree with the new GM on some things, but he's a team guy and will keep his mouth shut, I suspect. Not saying it's a good idea, but I'd rather have him in an advisory capacity next year than actually being in charge.

I disagree somewhat "Pack" regarding FA. I agree that the organization likely is not willing to take on the really huge, risky, first-day deals that can put you in a financial bind. I also think they probably avoid the serious character risk/reward types. That said, they spent plenty on a guy like Peppers and others before him. I think they can and will attempt to be more active in FA, if the GM is so inclined. Again, I'm not suggesting they will chase the mega-buck first day guys, but I'm not sure they would cut off the new GM's legs as long as the finances are sound.

They enter next year $36mil under the CAP. With Shields likely retiring they will gain another $9-12mil. It's also pretty likely they cut ties with Starks, saving another $3mil. That will leave them close to $50mil under the CAP. The new GM (if there is one) will have plenty of CAP room to work with both this year, and probably in 2018.

They enter next year $36mil under the CAP. With Shields likely retiring they will gain another $9-12mil. It's also pretty likely they cut ties with Starks, saving another $3mil. That will leave them close to $50mil under the CAP. The new GM (if there is one) will have plenty of CAP room to work with both this year, and probably in 2018.
You're kidding! Are they really going to be that much under the cap?! Then why all the talk of how they may lose Perry because he'll be too expensive??? Sorry folks. I don't get it. Who else needs to be extended that will be a cap killer? Just strange to me. sh))

Well Wolfman, I'm no CAP expert, but here is the site I use.

http://overthecap.com/calculator/green-bay-packers/

Unless I'm misinterpreting something, it shows us an estimated $36mil under the CAP for next year. Then you look at the savings from Shields and Starks being gone and it comes to about $50mil. Now of course that is not accounting for deals that need to be decided on and done - like Lang, Perry, Jones, Cook, Lacy, Hyde, Tretter. Those deals will certainly tie up some money.

Lang and Perry will eat up some big money, probably close to $15-18mil/yr between them. They may just pass on Jones. Cook could get some decent money in the $3-4mil/yr range. Hyde probably ends up in the same territory. Tretter's injury might limit his money and Lacy probably doesn't get a whole lot more than vet minimum. Either way if they sign the bunch of them, we probably end up $20-25mil under the CAP when all is said and done and depending on how the deals are structured. Might even be more if they pass on Lang or Cook or ??.

Bottom line . . . they have plenty of CAP space to sign their own and still look for a couple of FAs. While Rodgers and Matthews do represent big money commitments, the team has plenty of room and flexibility even with those deals. Every team has a few of those contracts but it's not crippling. (The Seahawks have $32mil invested in Wilson and Sherman next year - about the same as Rodgers and Matthews.)

Unless I'm misinterpreting something, it shows us an estimated $36mil under the CAP for next year. Then you look at the savings from Shields and Starks being gone and it comes to about $50mil. Now of course that is not accounting for deals that need to be decided on and done - like Lang, Perry, Jones, Cook, Lacy, Hyde, Tretter. Those deals will certainly tie up some money.

Lang and Perry will eat up some big money, probably close to $15-18mil/yr between them. They may just pass on Jones. Cook could get some decent money in the $3-4mil/yr range. Hyde probably ends up in the same territory. Tretter's injury might limit his money and Lacy probably doesn't get a whole lot more than vet minimum. Either way if they sign the bunch of them, we probably end up $20-25mil under the CAP when all is said and done and depending on how the deals are structured. Might even be more if they pass on Lang or Cook or ??.

Bottom line . . . they have plenty of CAP space to sign their own and still look for a couple of FAs. While Rodgers and Matthews do represent big money commitments, the team has plenty of room and flexibility even with those deals. Every team has a few of those contracts but it's not crippling. (The Seahawks have $32mil invested in Wilson and Sherman next year - about the same as Rodgers and Matthews.)

It's definitely an appealing situation for the next GM.. I'd also add that they should rework the CMIII contract. He's not playing up to the current one. Which could also save some more cap space.

It also leaves them room to go after a top FA if there is one.

It's definitely an appealing situation for the next GM.. I'd also add that they should rework the CMIII contract. He's not playing up to the current one. Which could also save some more cap space.

It also leaves them room to go after a top FA if there is one.

Really no point in re-working CM3 deal. I doubt the team plans to extend him at all and after next year he has no more dead money left on his contract and has a total of 2 years left on his deal after this year.

Really no point in re-working CM3 deal. I doubt the team plans to extend him at all and after next year he has no more dead money left on his contract and has a total of 2 years left on his deal after this year.

Good point

Thanks for posting that, 57. thumbsup

I don't know that I would re-sign Jones. He doesn't do much and he seems like kind of a cement head. Of couse, he is learning a new position. Lang is getting older and has been injury prone lately. I really like him and think he's a great pro. But not sure the Packers will break the bank here. We'll see. Lacy probably needs to sign another one year prove it deal after yet another injury. Cook I would definitely try to extend. He is a real difference maker when he's in there. I'd like to see another good TE added fairly high in the draft. Tretter I really like and want him to stay. A super flexible OL like that is hard to come by. Seattle, I think would go hard after him. However, they don't have much cap space. Good thing! Schneider doesn't sit on his thumbs, ala Ted. I wonder if they will try to sign Peppers to a 1 year deal? I think he's still got it, amazingly enough! Glad someone else will be operating with all that cap space!

Are there going to be any good DB's available in FA this year? Anybody know? DL's? These are two areas I think need upgraded on this defense. As good as the Packers have been playing, I just don't have confidence in the defense against teams like Atlanta and especially Dallas. I hope whoever takes over is as good at finding good defensive players as Ted has been at finding great WR's!

Watch for them to either redo AR - or not. If they want him for the rest of his career, now is the time to do it. Will be telling either way.

Watch for them to either redo AR - or not. If they want him for the rest of his career, now is the time to do it. Will be telling either way.
When superstars redo their contracts, they rarely, if ever, lose money. They usually extend it to stretch it out, or give them more upfront money in bonus form to gain relief on the cap. I'd be shocked if Aaron refused to do it, unless they flat out ask him to take a big cut. Hopefully, they're smarter than that...and I think they are. His contract isn't up, is it?

Back