It's not Eliot Wolf we need to keep.......

Informative....knew a lot about him from his early days thru Wolf hiring. But didn't know how much of a hand he's had in recent times....

Good read, Dubz.

I am worried we will hire Elliot just because he is the son of Ron Wolf. Just because he worked under his father does not mean he is his father.

We need to ensure we look at all candidates before hiring the new GM when TT retires. (hopefully he does next year :))

One guy who also is talked about alot is Brian Gutekunst I think he could be a good GM also.

Alonzo is a talented man. Probably one of the best at his job in the nation. Does that make him ready to step in as a GM? It just might. Especially since so many teams aren't able to connect with the guys they should, through the draft. He could bring that dimension to a light of teams.

If he isn't gone after this season, he'll be gone after next year. Too good of a man to be kept out of sight too long.

Highsmith played the game. He understands it. He's played at a high level... you can't teach that kind of insight and understanding. Wolf would be a mistake..

Great read Dubz. I had no idea Alonzo was so integral to the Packers success. Great for him. Hopefully the Packers can retain him as it seems as if they have had a talent drain, in the front office, the past few years.

Highsmith played the game. He understands it. He's played at a high level... you can't teach that kind of insight and understanding. Wolf would be a mistake..

On the other hand, can't one say pretty much the same thing about TT?

And HOF'er Ron Wolf never played any meaningful football in his life. (Played some baseball at a small school in Tenn.) Ron's lack of past playing experience did not translate into a lack of understanding of how to build and run a football team at a high level. I'm not saying that experience as a player is not an asset, but I just don't want to make it more important than it is, and certainly not the main factor for deciding on new GM.

TT played, RW didn't, and both were successful. Bart Starr and Forest Gregg both played at a extremely high levels and it certainly didn't help them. John Schneider played one year of small school football while Dorsey and McKenzie played in the NFL for multiple years. All 3 are successful coming from different backgrounds.

Bill Belichick played a little D3 football and was arguably a better Lacrosse player than football player. He was helped by being around the game by way of his father who was a long-time football coach at the Naval Academy. Maybe that kind of background is an asset, not unlike Elliot Wolf's (and not unlike Highsmith who's dad was a coach). I'm not lobbying for Wolf, just saying that a guy's background may or may not be a major factor in future success as a GM.

I'm hoping that once that time comes, that both Wolf and Highsmith are options, as well as maybe other guys. I'm sure both Wolf and Highsmith have made their impressions on TT and Murphy over the years and they probably have a pretty good idea if either one or both are capable.

Once again I want to hire outside the team. Don't want to keep hiring inside the team so we have a new GM who thinks the same way Ted thought. Look at Ron Wolf. Packers hired him he had no connection to the team so had no Packers way of thinking. He hired HC with no ties to team so no Packers way of thinking. Think we need to do that again for the next GM and HC.

Back