I'm a Believer!

I think the Badgers win this weekend but need Colorado to beat Washington to get in the playoff. I just became Colorado's biggest new fan.

This will be the Badgers 6th game against a top 10 ranked opponent. If they win they will be 4-2.

I think this is the committee's toughest scenario.

If Michigan had won on Saturday, and then beaten the Badgers in the championship game their job is easy. Now, they have to take OSU. Alabama is an easy choice no matter what happens next week. After that it seems like you have to take Clemson if they win the ACC. Then things get tough. If Washington wins the Pac-12, do you take them, or a 2nd B1G team - either UW or PSU. I suspect they take Washington if Washington wins. Badgers fans have to hope Washington loses to Colorado. In that case, they are in if they win.

One factor the Badgers definitely have going for them is that their strength of schedule has stayed in the top 5 all season, even spending time at number 1, whereas Washington only just cracked the top 20 this week.

Will it be enough?

Like CC said, strength of schedule. Here's a link to the listing. SOS

If you compare Washington to the Badgers, the Huskies are out. They're only 17th on the list. I still get the idea that no matter what happens next week, the Badgers could get shafted. Even if Washington loses.

For some reason, the Badgers are always the odd man out in these darned things, and not always because of talent level. Often it's just politics.

Strength of Schedule can also be very subjective. Is it based on where the team you beat was ranked when you play them or where they are now? To Wisconsin I point to MSU. Let's take a look at quality wins

Wisconsin
LSU, Nebraska

Washington
Stanford, Utah

To me it's kind of a wash.

Strength of Schedule can also be very subjective. Is it based on where the team you beat was ranked when you play them or where they are now? To Wisconsin I point to MSU. Let's take a look at quality wins

Wisconsin
LSU, Nebraska

Washington
Stanford, Utah

To me it's kind of a wash.

If you are going to include Utah in quality wins then you need to include Iowa and Minnesota for Wisconsin. Those teams all have the same or better record as Utah in a tougher conference.

If you are going to include Utah in quality wins then you need to include Iowa and Minnesota for Wisconsin. Those teams all have the same or better record as Utah in a tougher conference.

I'll give you Iowa but but not Minnesota.
Minnesota was not ranked all year and did not have a win vs a team with a winning record

I'll give you Iowa but but not Minnesota.
Minnesota was not ranked all year and did not have a win vs a team with a winning record

I hear ya but Utah has lost to some cupcakes themselves only played 2 teams that were ranked in Washington and Colorado, losing both. They beat USC but USC was not ranked. USC is the only team they beat that has a winning record and they were 1-2 when Utah played them. USC would destroy them today.

I'm not arguing that Minnesota is truly a quality win, I'm thinking Utah isn't a quality win.

Last edited:
I hear ya but Utah has lost to some cupcakes themselves only played 2 teams that were ranked in Washington and Colorado, losing both. They beat USC but USC was not ranked. USC is the only team they beat that has a winning record and they were 1-2 when Utah played them. USC would destroy them today.

I'm not arguing that Minnesota is truly a quality win, I'm thinking Utah isn't a quality win.

I go by the eye test. Utah is a very solid team. Bad loss to Oregon withstanding.

I think our debate here will be similar to the committee. The committee char was asked if LSU was still a quality win and his answer was yes. His answer was "no coach really would want to play them". It's how they take a deep dive and evaluate teams. What is the criteria? I believe that there are coaches either on the committee or has input. I'm not saying your wrong here but it shows how subjective a lot of this is

The one factor that they have to admit is true about Wisconsin. Their two losses came to two of the top 5 teams. That said, who else, with two losses, or even one, outside of OSU and Michigan, can say that? To me, that's saying a lot.

Also, since the Badgers lost two in a row, they've been on a run, taking on solid teams that could beat anyone, on a given day... except Illinois....

Washington has played a cup cake schedule comparatively. As far as the Big 10, if OSU and Mich are invited, then Wisconsin deserves a third spot in the playoffs, if they beat Penn State. It's a progression, and if you figure Michigan gets a break because they lost to OSU in OT, so give the same break to Wisconsin.

But, we're just dreaming. Wisconsin will never get a break on this one.

Back