Giannis staying in Milwaukee?

Being that he's a restricted free agent, could he still "choose" to sign with the Bucks?
Yes via an offer sheet that Sac can match or sign and trade. Issue with sign and trade $$ have to match

Being that he's a restricted free agent, could he still "choose" to sign with the Bucks?
I think so but not 100% not sure if being under the hard cap would prevent it or not.

Seriously - this happens so much in the NBA - any of these unofficial trades could be investigated.
The difference here is the guy is a RFA. Which technically requires an offer sheet. If Milwaukee negotiated a contract extension that gets messy. Now if Milwaukee only submitted an offer sheet and then worked out a sign a trade with Sac that’s ok but even then it was prior to the window opening. I get the “wink wink” behind the curtain deals but the league came down on stuff like this last year. I’m sure a few organizations were a bit peeved, especially ones that were preparing offer sheets (Atlanta).

Why and who leaked this is what bothers me the most. Could it be some other club, who was preparing an offer sheet told what was going on and blew the whistle? Was it in Milwaukee and / or Sacramento offices? Usually guys like Wojo have to verify stories with a few sources before it’s published. That why am leaning that some other clubs got wind of this, got pissed and gave Wojo the scoop.

Goodie now Bucks can get fined
Your assuming that Milwaukee negotiated a contract direct prior to the window. If they did they deserve to get hit. I posted some other thoughts in my response to Howard. This thing is a clear case of devil is in the details

I imagine Donte & DJ are wondering what comes next. Too bad we're still saddled with the Sanders & Leuer dead cap numbers. About $5 mill? $7.5 mill cap hit for Donte & DJ. Not all that bad. Holiday for Bledsoe & Hill is a break even on the cap.

Lots of additional roster spots need to be filled. A big question on money.

While Bogdanovic is a better scorer than DeVincenzo we lose some defense, also Big Ragu is 4 years younger so in a strange way this gives Milwaukee some roster / financial flexibility. Starting 5:
  • Giannis
  • Lopez
  • Middleton
  • Holiday
  • DeVincenzo
Bench
  • Nwora
  • Connaughton
  • Brown
  • Thanasis
  • Merrill
  • (Mid Level Exception $9.5m)
  • Wilson
Needs
  • Backup PG
  • Center or stretch 4

While Bogdanovic is a better scorer than DeVincenzo we lose some defense, also Big Ragu is 4 years younger so in a strange way this gives Milwaukee some roster / financial flexibility. Starting 5:
  • Giannis
  • Lopez
  • Middleton
  • Holiday
  • DeVincenzo
Bench
  • Nwora
  • Connaughton
  • Brown
  • Thanasis
  • Merrill
  • (Mid Level Exception $9.5m)
  • Wilson
Needs
  • Backup PG
  • Center or stretch 4
Not sold on Brown or Connaughton being back.

Back