Cheese Curds, 1/26: Packers' free agency speculation begins

Don't forget Adams in the second round!

I think a lot of folks are being rather hard on Adams. When he is right he looks pretty good. This year was a wasted season but in the Washington playoff game I saw him make some really nice catches before he got hurt that were similar to those he made that got us all excited after his rookie season. I just hope he isn't one of those players who can't shake the injury bug.

Don't you know GMs are supposed to be able to predict the future when they draft? ;)

I understand your underlying point, but my knee-jerk reaction is "yes". If they have no idea what's going to happen, why not throw darts at the draft board? Heck, why not let this forum make the selections? There are enough folks who harp on the "crap-shoot" that is the NFL draft - if it's that uncertain, how can someone build an entire roster philosophy around it? A possible disclaimer to my rant is that TT gets paid big bucks to be better at this than others - whether he is that is open to debate (obviously), but to just say it's a tough job doesn't cut it, for me. I'm upset at weather forecasters and stockbrokers, too, in that they don't have to be right, just be able to explain the unexpected forces that caused them to be wrong. OK, back to your regularly schedule program. csr(

Ted is one of the better drafters in the league for sure. Like you said, it isn't an exact science. But neither is FA. I too wish he would dip his toes in there more than he does but I'm not going to hang him in effigy when he doesn't.

Ted is one of the better drafters in the league for sure. Like you said, it isn't an exact science. But neither is FA. I too wish he would dip his toes in there more than he does but I'm not going to hang him in effigy when he doesn't.

Thompson has missed on too many high picks look at his draft history in Rounds 1-4. His draft history on offense is very good. On defense not so much

Don't you know GMs are supposed to be able to predict the future when they draft? ;)

Never said that. That's exactly why I said he should get involved in FA...because the draft is a crapshoot. Aaron publically said he wanted Ted to make the trade for Marshawn. Favre publically asked to get Moss. Now Aaron just said they need a field stretching TE. Even the great players get tired of needs not being adequately filled in the draft. I don't blame them.

I won't post on the subject anymore. Sorry if I went overboard. I know some don't like a fan complaining about the Packers way of operating. I sincerely apologize if I offended anyone.

Never said that. That's exactly why I said he should get involved in FA...because the draft is a crapshoot. Aaron publically said he wanted Ted to make the trade for Marshawn. Favre publically asked to get Moss. Now Aaron just said they need a field stretching TE. Even the great players get tired of needs not being adequately filled in the draft. I don't blame them.

I won't post on the subject anymore. Sorry if I went overboard. I know some don't like a fan complaining about the Packers way of operating. I sincerely apologize if I offended anyone.

As long as it's done in a respectful manner post away.... We need all points of view for it to be a meaningful discussion.

I thought I was respectful. I've never tried to be mean spirited. Ever. Just the opposite. I don't like watching Ted operate. But I don't think I've ever said anything personally mean about the guy. I don't wish him any ill will at all.

Just maybe posted my frustration too many times. We'll see what he does this off-season. Hope he surprises me.

Last edited:
Early quick look at UFA TE options:

San Diego had an enviable situation at TE past season, but the franchise may be between homes, and two TEs are facing UFA:

- Ladarius Green is fast becoming this year's "Jairus Byrd". Seems to have everything we lack: Speed and size, no red flags, and hasn't gotten an opportunity to shine yet. Not terrible as a blocker, either. I'd like him a lot, but I fear the market will go bonkers if he decides to leave SD. Most Chargers fans want him back badly.

- Antonio Gates has defied father time but will be 36 when the season starts... Struggled with health this season and was suspended for PEDs. As 1-year rental I'd take him over Vernon Davis. Chargers fans want him back for a ride into the sunset, but don't trust him to start.

The Colts are also in a situation with 2 TEs threatening to leave:

- Coby Fleener has 4.51 speed we seem to covet. Has had issues with the dropsies, and has never quite put it all together to become a star. Colts fans aren't really campaigning to get him back and seem to think he can't block - PFF disagrees on blocking this year, but agrees in two previous seasons.

- Dwayne Allen has a nasty injury history, and 4.85 speed. He's gone from being PFF's top ranked TE in 2012 (due to great blocking) to being 2nd worst graded this season (and horrid blocking). That's an epic decline from a great rookie year to 109 yards in 525 snaps. Colts fans seem to like him as an all-arounder who's had bad luck.

Chicago may also end up with 2 TEs on the street, see below for Bennett:

- Zach Miller is an intriguing case. He has had a weird career: After a couple of nondescript seasons in JAX, he didn't play at all 2012-2014. Then da Bears signed him, and BOOM! 6th highest PFF grade (!) while sharing time with Bennett. Is 31 years old, a bit on the small side (6-3), but ran 4.53 coming outta college. Definitely worth a look! Bears fans seem to favor keeping him, but not with much enthusiasm.

Others:

- Jermaine Gresham is a solid blocker who last had 500+ yards in 2012. Upgrade over Q, definitely maybe.

- Ben Watson enjoyed a miraculous renaissance season at age of 35. 800+ yards, but a hoooorrible blocker. Few seem to believe he can duplicate that performance.

- Vernon Davis was traded mid-season and proceeded to excel in drops. Basically benched since week 16. 5 years ago, #¤%& yeah! Now? Two bad seasons in a row, big ego and will be 32.

- Marcedes Lewis would've been great to get in 2009. But he's had two years of under 250 yards in a row. Will be 32. Vet minimum backup, at best.

Potential cuts:

- Martellus Bennett is clearly talented, but most Bears fans want to run him and his 6M+ cap number outta town. Had a down year in many ways. Produced less than R Rodgers, ran his mouth and enraged a fan base with me-first -attitude. Year before had 900+ yards. No denying his talent, but does he fit GB locker room?

- Jordan Cameron is two years removed from his only good receiving season. Can he ever get back to that form? 4.53 coming out of college, definite deep threat. Graded near bottom on PFF two years in a row. Has always been a terrible blocker. Dolphins fans want him cut, or to take a big paycut.

- Jared Cook does have blazing 4.49 speed. And he can block, if you believe PFF. Buuut, he hasn't quite put it together. Led the league in drops this year. Was much better previous 2 seasons. Has a >8M cap charge and LA Rams fans REALLY want him out. Quote from a fan board:
"...it is excruciating watching him try to make a catch...or make a block..effort just seems lacking....frustrating talent..."

Thompson has missed on too many high picks look at his draft history in Rounds 1-4. His draft history on offense is very good. On defense not so much

I was being facetious. Didn't you see me wink? :)

The draft is a crap shoot but so can FA be. Ted struck gold with Woodson, Pickett and Peppers but struck out with Saturday and Marquand Manuel. I wish he would dabble more in FA but if he doesn't I'm not going to disparage him either.

Back