Cheese Curds, 1/26: Packers' free agency speculation begins

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
usa-today-9008386.0.jpg

Today's curds break down the Packers' kicker and backup quarterback situations, as well as look at the top free agents hitting the open market this March.

Now that we're over a week into the Green Bay Packers' offseason, the discussions about free agency are beginning. First up, everyone will try to break down the players on the 2015 roster who are hitting free agency, then a barrage of further speculation will result as writers try to guess who (if anyone) Ted Thompson will go after on the open market.

Those discussions are beginning in earnest today, as a few different outlets are looking at different positions to break down the decisions upcoming for Thompson and the Packers. First up are a couple of positions that aren't terribly exciting, but that can prove crucial to a team's success: kicker and backup quarterback.

We also find the first report of the year of the Packers holding a meeting with a draft prospect, and it's a name that will likely excite anyone hoping for an upgrade at inside linebacker. Read, click, and enjoy!

Mason Crosby wants to stay with Packers | JSOnline.com
The last time a kicker with a nine-year tenure in Green Bay hit free agency, he signed with Minnesota. Crosby hopes this is not the end of the line for him in Wisconsin.

Packers backup QB decision: Re-sign Scott Tolzien or use Brett Hundley - ESPN
There were rumors about teams looking at Tolzien as a possible starter even last year, and those rumors will only get stronger after a good preseason performance in 2015. However, Hundley's quick development could make Tolzien an unnecessary piece next season.

Need remains for Packers at tight end | Packersnews.com
Position coach Jerry Fontenot got fired, and the Packers still do not have an athletic, playmaking tight end who strikes any sort of fear in a defense with his ability to play up the seam.

20 highest-graded unrestricted free agents | Pro Football Focus
It would be a shock to see Ted Thompson sign any of these players, but there are a few excellent linebackers available who could help in the middle of the Packers' 3-4 defense.

Packers' cornerback duo wasted no time as rookies | Packers.com
It's a good thing that Damarious Randall and Quinten Rollins justified Ted Thompson's first two draft choices early on, because injuries to Sam Shields and overall youth at the position forced them into action more early on than many may have expected.

Packers reportedly interview Alabama LB Reggie Ragland | 247sports.com
Ragland is one of the top linebacker prospects in this year's draft (more on him later today in part 2 of our Senior Bowl preview), and is the first player reported to have met with Packers staff this draft season.

Can Thomas Davis play in the Super Bowl with a broken arm? - SBNation.com
The Panthers linebacker suffered the fracture during Sunday's game, but vowed to return to the field in two weeks in Santa Clara. Whether that is a possibility depends on the extent of the break, but it is not impossible for him to live up to his promise.

Continue reading @http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/ ...

I find articles about FA possibilities for the Packers to be hilarious.... And incredibly frustrating. bh(

I hope I'm wrong. But I just can't see Ted doing it, no matter how many deficiencies. Look how long it took to address the Safety position. And that was via Draft only. Just don't believe he'll do it.

The only free agent activity will be that of the UDFA kind....undraft and develop

Nah, guys. He'll get some free agents.

He likes the kind that get cut from their teams for cap reasons, because those guys don't factor into the compensation pick equation.

I would, though, really really like to see him take a run at some of the guys coming free that would really help shore up holes in his roster.

Evidently this isn't the best TE class coming in so perhaps Ted will look to FA there. But he isn't gonna sign a big name unless he can get the player for his price. Ted has a set salary in mind and avoids getting into bidding wars. If he decides to dip his toes in it will be a mid-level type TE. Of course that TE might be better than anything we presently have on our roster.

Evidently this isn't the best TE class coming in so perhaps Ted will look to FA there. But he isn't gonna sign a big name unless he can get the player for his price. Ted has a set salary in mind and avoids getting into bidding wars. If he decides to dip his toes in it will be a mid-level type TE. Of course that TE might be better than anything we presently have on our roster.
Green Bay was extremely desperate for a Safety a few years ago. The Safety class didn't offer much so you figured Ted would go FA to fill the gaping hole. Alas, no...we ended up with a couple of years of Jeron McMillian. Clinton-Dix just happen to fall in his lap.

I would LOVE to see Ted nab one of the SD TE's. I'll be beyond shocked if he pops out of his stupor and does it. Hate to be so pessimistic. Actually, I think of myself as more of a realist. We'll see. I really do hope I'm wrong this time.

Green Bay was extremely desperate for a Safety a few years ago. The Safety class didn't offer much so you figured Ted would go FA to fill the gaping hole. Alas, no...we ended up with a couple of years of Jeron McMillian. Clinton-Dix just happen to fall in his lap.

I would LOVE to see Ted nab one of the SD TE's. I'll be beyond shocked if he pops out of his stupor and does it. Hate to be so pessimistic. Actually, I think of myself as more of a realist. We'll see. I really do hope I'm wrong this time.

Didn't Ted have a deal in place for Gonzales but the GM in KC upped the ante at the 11th hour?

Good place to talk about the whole players/coaches/GM thing. I take what you say to mean that we really can't expect someone to come in and be an upgrade next year. If that's the case, we can't dump on TT much for that, but how about getting someone better the last (fill in your own number) years? Then, can't we expect the position coach (if there is one) to get more out of the guys we have? And, if not, can't we expect the head and offensive coaches to design an attack that doesn't require more than we've got?

And there is the issue. From a free agency and trade perspective Thompson is not aggressive at all. Moss, Lynch, Gonzalez we have had cap room. But neglect to use it when needed.

Good place to talk about the whole players/coaches/GM thing. I take what you say to mean that we really can't expect someone to come in and be an upgrade next year. If that's the case, we can't dump on TT much for that, but how about getting someone better the last (fill in your own number) years? Then, can't we expect the position coach (if there is one) to get more out of the guys we have? And, if not, can't we expect the head and offensive coaches to design an attack that doesn't require more than we've got?

Perhaps they thought RRod was going to be better than he is? sh)) He has decent hands but is slower than molasses in January.

Back