Cheese Curds, 1/26: Packers' free agency speculation begins

Good case in point. If RR has physical limitations that they can't improve, it's TT's bad. Given that, it's on the position coach to improve where he can. In the end, he should be a known quantity who should be used in a manner that acknowledges his deficiencies by the scheme people.

Evidently this isn't the best TE class coming in so perhaps Ted will look to FA there. But he isn't gonna sign a big name unless he can get the player for his price. Ted has a set salary in mind and avoids getting into bidding wars. If he decides to dip his toes in it will be a mid-level type TE. Of course that TE might be better than anything we presently have on our roster.

Philly just signed two TEs. Ertz received $7M a year with $20M guaranteed. Celek was $3-4M with $8M (?). Is TT willing to offer that to a TE FA? Doubt it. We have a better chance to see him drafting Hunter Henry as projected starter. IMO.

Perhaps they thought RRod was going to be better than he is? sh)) He has decent hands but is slower than molasses in January.
Isn't that why prognosticators had Rodgers going late in that draft? Isn't that why we were all upset when Ted took him in the 3rd?

Man alive. We had 2 third round picks that year and we ended up with Rodgers and Thornton. FP(

Green Bay was extremely desperate for a Safety a few years ago. The Safety class didn't offer much so you figured Ted would go FA to fill the gaping hole. Alas, no...we ended up with a couple of years of Jeron McMillian. Clinton-Dix just happen to fall in his lap.

I would LOVE to see Ted nab one of the SD TE's. I'll be beyond shocked if he pops out of his stupor and does it. Hate to be so pessimistic. Actually, I think of myself as more of a realist. We'll see. I really do hope I'm wrong this time.

Why is it when Ted makes a bad pick it's he sucks but when he makes a good pick the player fell in his lap? That doesn't seem accurate. Ted may not have the best track record of draft picks but it is not all that bad. My issue with TT is more along the lines of when he makes a mistake he takes to long to cut bait and run. I expect bad picks as there are no guarantees.

I would much rather get one of the FA ILBs than one of the SD TEs at this point. I still think Hunter Henry in the first round would be the right choice. Even if it is a little bit of a stretch. He is 6'6" can catch block and run.

I said that because Clinton-Dix was supposed to go way earlier than the Packers pick. I also say, with abandon, that Aaron fell in his lap too.

Along those lines, I do not believe Richard Rodgers or Khyri Thornton 'fell in his lap'. :D

Perhaps they thought RRod was going to be better than he is? sh)) He has decent hands but is slower than molasses in January.

I don't know how they thought he might get faster. They were probably hoping that his blocking could improve. He's a great target when you only need a yard or 3.

Isn't that why prognosticators had Rodgers going late in that draft? Isn't that why we were all upset when Ted took him in the 3rd?

Man alive. We had 2 third round picks that year and we ended up with Rodgers and Thornton. FP(

Don't forget Adams in the second round!

Don't forget Adams in the second round!

Oh, yeah. Thanks alot for the depressing reminder, Cheesedog. :D

Wow. That draft could've been beyond a great one with all those high picks. This is why I wish Ted would get more involved in FA. Draft picks are a shot in the dark sometimes. I've never advocated spending blindly, like the Redskins and Eagles do. But c'mon. The Packers are a VERY rich organization. Ted, it's not coming directly out of your wallet. Don't waste the rest of Aaron's career. Please.

Why is it when Ted makes a bad pick it's he sucks but when he makes a good pick the player fell in his lap? That doesn't seem accurate. Ted may not have the best track record of draft picks but it is not all that bad. My issue with TT is more along the lines of when he makes a mistake he takes to long to cut bait and run. I expect bad picks as there are no guarantees.

I would much rather get one of the FA ILBs than one of the SD TEs at this point. I still think Hunter Henry in the first round would be the right choice. Even if it is a little bit of a stretch. He is 6'6" can catch block and run.

Don't you know GMs are supposed to be able to predict the future when they draft? ;)

I wasn't thrilled with RRod and had no clue who Thornton was. Ted does strike out on draft picks but so does every other GM in the league. I thought this last draft was one of Ted's better ones. It isn't easy to find real game changers when you are drafting towards the end of every round. This is the rub with having continued success and why Ted wants to have as many picks as possible. The more swings you have the better your chances at getting extra base hits.

BTW, when does FA begin? March?

Last year Adams in the second round looked like a steal. After this years performance not so much. Get him and the others a full time WR coach and I'll give him the benefit of one more year to prove himself. Could have been a sophomore slump. Could be he doesn't have what it takes.

Back