Bears to start Fields

Yeah roll the pocket for one would help
I agree that rolling the pocket occasionally could help. But I'm listening to a lot of sports radio personalities that basically want Nagy to call that every play. The flip side to that is whether or not Fields is, or can be, an accurate passer while rolling out - not all QB's can do that.

I agree that rolling the pocket occasionally could help. But I'm listening to a lot of sports radio personalities that basically want Nagy to call that every play. The flip side to that is whether or not Fields is, or can be, an accurate passer while rolling out - not all QB's can do that.
Agree that’s unrealistic. But when your OL is a turnstile you can’t just be 5 steps and drop. Fields was fine on the move at OSU, there is some body of work to go by there

Wasn't a lot of what Fields did at OSU when he rolled out with the option? It would seem to me that he should be well versed in that aspect of the game. Nagy not employing it as one of the key elements with his offense doesn't make sense.

We're back to trying to force square pegs into round holes.

Wasn't a lot of what Fields did at OSU when he rolled out with the option? It would seem to me that he should be well versed in that aspect of the game. Nagy not employing it as one of the key elements with his offense doesn't make sense.

We're back to trying to force square pegs into round holes.
Yes. Not read options but more spread concepts and some RPO

Yes. Not read options but more spread concepts and some RPO
They were running the read option around 10 plays a game with him in the line-up. He was fast, therefore perfect for the play. They just feared he'd get hurt, so limited the usage. He's always been able to throw on the move, so the roll out would be perfect for him with the Bears.

What would make it even more effective is how teams would have to shadow him constantly because he could end up running instead of throwing the ball. Running would not be a high priority though.

They should've done what GB did last year and just stashed him, let Glennon take the lumps

As for the actual game, I went back and watched that thing and I think what happened to the Bears was very similar to what happened to GB in game one. The just couldn’t string a few plays together. I’m sure they had stuff in there for Fields but they couldn’t get to it. Cleveland didn’t score a whole lot but it seemed like they were going on these long drives, Chicago’s offense just couldn’t swing anything back in their favor.

I think Fields should have been played when Bears were out of it later in season that way Fields gets better grip of offense in practice.

I thin Nagy though is fired by week 10. At that point Bears are likely out of playoffs and by then will give Fields the job to see what he can do.

Back