2023 NFL Season Thread

still the stupidest rule change ever imho. fair catch the ball at the two yard line, goes to the 25 yard line. there's literally no way to pin a team deep unless the return man is stupid enough to run with the ball. nuts((thumbsdown))
I think that’s part of the point. It’s a completely offense focused league now. People want inflated scores. So gotta give the offense every crutch they can.

I think that’s part of the point. It’s a completely offense focused league now. People want inflated scores. So gotta give the offense every crutch they can.
But they say it's about player safety. I heard some stat yesterday that there are 2x the number of concussions per kickoff play than on any other play.

How cold is Seattle? Only a year after trading Russell Wilson have given his #3 away to recently signed Artie Burns. Wilson is perhaps the best player in team history. You would expect the team to never re-issue his number and retire it in after Wilson would be done playing. This would be like GB giving away 12 to some no name vet. GB will never do that and will remain unissued until Rodgers retires and the number is retired. IMO that is a lot of disrespect by Seattle towards Wilson.

See yesterday all the RB's were throwing hissy fits over pay because Jacobs and Barkley did not get deals that they wanted. They are making $10 million on the tag and reports out that Barkley had a offer on table that averaged over $14 a year and guaranteed over $20 million but he wanted to be at highest paid RB level. Guy is injury prone and what the Giants offered was more then fair. All these RB's crying like babies saying they don't get enough. Well guess they should find a new position to play in college that pays better in the NFL. RB is a position that is devalued. We are in a passing league and many teams have now moved away from a bell cow back to a system that uses 2 if not 3 RB in tandem. There is no need to have a expensive lead back anymore when you can get the same with many guys and just replace one when they are off their rookie deals or get to old.

See yesterday all the RB's were throwing hissy fits over pay because Jacobs and Barkley did not get deals that they wanted. They are making $10 million on the tag and reports out that Barkley had a offer on table that averaged over $14 a year and guaranteed over $20 million but he wanted to be at highest paid RB level. Guy is injury prone and what the Giants offered was more then fair. All these RB's crying like babies saying they don't get enough. Well guess they should find a new position to play in college that pays better in the NFL. RB is a position that is devalued. We are in a passing league and many teams have now moved away from a bell cow back to a system that uses 2 if not 3 RB in tandem. There is no need to have an expensive lead back anymore when you can get the same with many guys and just replace one when they are off their rookie deals or get to old.
Maybe all these owners should stop crying about how expensive good players are. Good for the players get as much as you can…. It’s your body you’re sacrificing for these guys.

Maybe all these owners should stop crying about how expensive good players are. Good for the players get as much as you can…. It’s your body you’re sacrificing for these guys.
Yeah but only so much cap room to go around. You think the QB's or WR's are going to take less so the RB's are going to get paid more. That won't happen.

Changes in rules have turned the NFL into a passing game. The run is secondary. As such, the guys carrying the ball aren't nearly as important. Now, if they are pretty good at catching a football, it will add a few shekels to their paycheck. If not? Not so much. Even better offensive linemen make more.

Eventually, as teams strengthen defenses, and teams realize that giving a mediocre QB 40% of their freaking cap money to be inept is not the answer. When that happens, the run will be a "new fad," catching on.

In the meantime, watch the RBs being treated like one of the least important people on offense.

Looks like SF is going to move on from Trey Lance. They are starting Purdy and announced Darnold as QB2.

I liked Lance as a prospect but he was certainly a project. I don't think SF did him any favors in his development. He's bigger than Love, faster than Love, throws harder than Love but man, from the little preseason I've seen from SF, he's not playing QB nearly as well.

I wonder if the Vikings or Lions would pick him up and try to develop him further.

Back