2023 NFL Season Thread

Looks like SF is going to move on from Trey Lance. They are starting Purdy and announced Darnold as QB2.

I liked Lance as a prospect but he was certainly a project. I don't think SF did him any favors in his development. He's bigger than Love, faster than Love, throws harder than Love but man, from the little preseason I've seen from SF, he's not playing QB nearly as well.

I wonder if the Vikings or Lions would pick him up and try to develop him further.
If any team wants to invest the time, and roster position in developing Lance, he could end up a serviceable NFL QB. Not a great one, but of some value. The problem is finding roster space to do it.

Right now, his confidence level has to be zero, and it will take time to even turn that problem around.

Looks like SF is going to move on from Trey Lance. They are starting Purdy and announced Darnold as QB2.

I liked Lance as a prospect but he was certainly a project. I don't think SF did him any favors in his development. He's bigger than Love, faster than Love, throws harder than Love but man, from the little preseason I've seen from SF, he's not playing QB nearly as well.

I wonder if the Vikings or Lions would pick him up and try to develop him further.
Not sure they trade him. He's worth only a day 3 pick. I think for so little and new 3rd QB rule they keep Lance in case Purdy or Darnold get hurt

It's perplexing how it shook out in SF, to me Darnold has no future, he has very questionable decision making and slow processing, with all his starts these things never improved and I can't imagine they ever do. How does Lance have a lower floor than that?

People blow so much sunshine up John Lynch's behind, this is one of the biggest QB botch jobs I can remember. Fireable.

It's perplexing how it shook out in SF, to me Darnold has no future, he has very questionable decision making and slow processing, with all his starts these things never improved and I can't imagine they ever do. How does Lance have a lower floor than that?

People blow so much sunshine up John Lynch's behind, this is one of the biggest QB botch jobs I can remember. Fireable.
They Rushed him onto the field before he was ready, got him hurt, and never had the time to develop.

They Rushed him onto the field before he was ready, got him hurt, and never had the time to develop.
I wish that more people learned this lesson, Mark...

that the problem isn't Lance; the problem is continuously thinking that smaller school guys or raw talents can "only learn by playing' and rushing them onto the field before they are ready.

I hope among hopes that love works out and people can finally start saying "wait, Favre-to-Rodgers-to-Love worked. Benching Mahomes for a year worked. Rushing talented but unpolished guys like Fields and Lance looked like a disaster. Maybe sitting rookies who need more work should be THE NORM, not the excepetion. Anthony Richardson about to go stunt his development all season long. And we're out here just being smart and patient.

I wish that more people learned this lesson, Mark...

that the problem isn't Lance; the problem is continuously thinking that smaller school guys or raw talents can "only learn by playing' and rushing them onto the field before they are ready.

I hope among hopes that love works out and people can finally start saying "wait, Favre-to-Rodgers-to-Love worked. Benching Mahomes for a year worked. Rushing talented but unpolished guys like Fields and Lance looked like a disaster. Maybe sitting rookies who need more work should be THE NORM, not the excepetion. Anthony Richardson about to go stunt his development all season long. And we're out here just being smart and patient.
I've always believed that a new QB in the NFL needs two years on the sideline learning the game, and understanding the flow. The first year is learning the system, the second is when you understand how your actions fit into the system. Pushing it too fast and all you have is a young QB who ends up losing any semblance of confidence.

Coaches don't allow for this most of the time, because they usually draft a QB out of desperation, and plug them in long before they're ready.

That's why I like how Love is coming into the game this year. He has had the time learning the game, and should be ready to take control.

I hope someone does invest the time in Lance to be honest. I felt he has some raw talent that could bring good results.

Still think Lance was way overrated coming out of the draft. Only started 1 year against sub par talent.

I never will buy these kids who only start one year at QB then all ofa sudden are 1st round picks.

Former first rounder Isiah Simmons being traded from the Cardinals to Giants for a 7th round pick.

Another tweener bites the dust. Don’t draft positionless players early!

So Lions safety Brian Branch pick 6 in his first NFL game. GB could have had him but traded away that pick to the Lions for a late round pick.

Back