2021 Off Season Thread

The difference with the Bucs is that their recent drafts are better, especially on the defensive side of the ball. They did sign some free agents - about the same number as the Packers. Of course Tom Brady was the key, but the rest of the team was assembled similarly to the Packers except that their draft picks were mostly better than our draft picks.
Though with the Bucs having better drafts you also have to remember they were garbage for a number of years and had a lot of high draft picks too.

Though with the Bucs having better drafts you also have to remember they were garbage for a number of years and had a lot of high draft picks too.
And they had their share of misses also, Agustin, Spence, Winston, Howard....and hit some non 1st round picks like Godwin and Bunting that hit. I get the talent point and it’s valid but how they managed cap this year is not how GB does it. And let’s be fair, we might like to push can forward and make a run but we also are critical of other organizations that do it.

Difference is they are willing to add fake void years to push the cap hit further down the road and they had a QB that was willing to make concessions. Neither of those things happen in GB.
Exactly. In Brady's case didn't hurt that he has a former super model wife who made a ton of money.

More on AR in a thread am working on what's been coming out of GB locally

Exactly. In Brady's case didn't hurt that he has a former super model wife who made a ton of money.

More on AR in a thread am working on what's been coming out of GB locally
His wife had zero to do with it. It’s not like he has not been well compensated over his career.

Funny tidbit coming from former Pats.

Their status quo used to be sign bargain free agents and second chance players when Brady was there and laugh at teams spending big money on free agents.

Then this year contradicted their m.o. and spent big money on free agents rebuilding the team w Brady gone and mega cap room at start of f.a.

What about the Bucs then? Found a way to bring all of their own back on D and signed w new deals deals on players coming off rookie deals?

The difference between the Bucs signing their own and the Packers signing their own can be summed up in two words: Talent Level.

The difference is that the Bucs are bringing back a team that won the Super Bowl, and the Packers are bringing back a team that has had its flaws exposed in the NFC title game two years in a row, at the expense of actually addressing those flaws.

None of these moves in and of themselves are bad. It's good to have Aaron Jones on your team. There is a role for Mercedes Lewis on the team. Kevin King can play a role in the secondary. What's so disheartening is the overall attitude of "good enough" from the FO, and the seeming blindness to real roster holes that exist which can't now be addressed because they brought back everyone that was just good enough.

The difference is that the Bucs are bringing back a team that won the Super Bowl, and the Packers are bringing back a team that has had its flaws exposed in the NFC title game two years in a row, at the expense of actually addressing those flaws.

None of these moves in and of themselves are bad. It's good to have Aaron Jones on your team. There is a role for Mercedes Lewis on the team. Kevin King can play a role in the secondary. What's so disheartening is the overall attitude of "good enough" from the FO, and the seeming blindness to real roster holes that exist which can't now be addressed because they brought back everyone that was just good enough.
This is the winner today. Way to put it into context. You nailed it.

Of the 3 you mentioned I have less issues with King being on this team than the other 2. Jones, while productive he is inconsistent and when you factor in $$ it’s not a smart move from both a football and financial perspective. Lewis might have had a role 6 years ago but you just invested draft capital on 2 other TE you also have Toynan. King at the very least gives you depth at a thin position.

I get your point on just good enough but to me it’s bad roster and cap management

Of the 3 you mentioned I have less issues with King being on this team than the other 2. Jones, while productive he is inconsistent and when you factor in $$ it’s not a smart move from both a football and financial perspective. Lewis might have had a role 6 years ago but you just invested draft capital on 2 other TE you also have Toynan. King at the very least gives you depth at a thin position.

I get your point on just good enough but to me it’s bad roster and cap management
We can debate the players, but to me it's missing the forest for the trees.

We can debate the players, but to me it's missing the forest for the trees.
I was just looking at the guys that were mentioned. I am not sure its the "just good enough" attitude, its roster management and overall player evaluation on both the pro and college level which to me is more serious issue short term and long term

Back