2021 Off Season Thread

Okay, now it's just getting stupid. On some level it makes sense to keep a team mostly together that's only a small step away, BUT, that doesn't make it right to overspend for marginal guys like King and Lewis. Hell, $6mil for the two of them together would have seemed a little on the high side for me, but this is just nuts. Don't get me wrong, I'm actually OK with Lewis coming back but I figured it'd be more like $2-3mil for 1yr.

Okay, I should wait for the details on the contract, but I don't think I'll feel much better.

We better have like 4-5 draft picks produce right away as that's the only new talent the team is bringing in

This doesn't make sense on any level. Do Gutey and Murphy think people are dumb enough to think these are smart moves that make this team competitive? Or do they themselves think these moves make them competitive? Maybe the pack will get an easyish schedule again and look good during the reg season which appears to be all that counts to Gb right now.

I also can't see how this helps ML take the team to the next level. Fans like to laugh at DET and CHI, but GB is one QB move/retirement away from being just as much of a joke as those teams are.

I hear you. They overvalue too many guys. I was just pointing out that the annual "winners" in free agency don't win Super Bowls either. There's always some team like the Jets signing shiny new toys in FA to fix a crappy roster and it never works either. While the Packers overvaluing their own is certainly a contributor to not winning more championships, it seems to me that their ho-hum draft picks are the bigger problem over the past 5-6 years.
What about the Bucs then? Found a way to bring all of their own back on D and signed w new deals deals on players coming off rookie deals?

The difference between the Bucs signing their own and the Packers signing their own can be summed up in two words: Talent Level.

What about the Bucs then? Found a way to bring all of their own back on D and signed w new deals deals on players coming off rookie deals?

The difference between the Bucs signing their own and the Packers signing their own can be summed up in two words: Talent Level.
Difference is they are willing to add fake void years to push the cap hit further down the road and they had a QB that was willing to make concessions. Neither of those things happen in GB.

So hearing differing amounts on Lewis deal. This morning now saying the guarantee is $2.1 million. Guess we will have to see what the contract says.

The difference with the Bucs is that their recent drafts are better, especially on the defensive side of the ball. They did sign some free agents - about the same number as the Packers. Of course Tom Brady was the key, but the rest of the team was assembled similarly to the Packers except that their draft picks were mostly better than our draft picks.

Back