What the hell is going on out there ? Roster cut edition

This was confirmed by Lang himself yesterday. Brass told him and Josh at the same time. They want to focus on Bakh and Tretter. Maybe I'm crazy but I'd love to see TJ back anyway for stability.

And perhaps they will focus on Lang after they finish with Bak and Tretter. IMO right now Lang is better than Sitton and younger so I too hope we can keep all 3 of these guys in 2017 and beyond.

MM only has the second best win loss record behind B.

The Pats can be ruthless getting rid of players too. Back in 2013 they cut their starting DT when they found out he had diabetes. Last year they let Wilfork go without compensation and Vince went on and played well in Houston.

I hate the comparisons to the patriots. They've won 4 SBs under that regime and have been to another 2. If MM and TT had that kind of track record you'd be hard pressed to find people around here who'd be critical of them. The packers are not the patriots. Ted Thompson doesn't belong in the same sentence as Bill belichick

I hate the comparisons to the patriots. They've won 4 SBs under that regime and have been to another 2. If MM and TT had that kind of track record you'd be hard pressed to find people around here who'd be critical of them. The packers are not the patriots. Ted Thompson doesn't belong in the same sentence as Bill belichick

All I pointed out was we aren't the only team in the league that will cut a good player and get nothing in return.

Yes, NE won more SBs but all I was suggesting was the only team in the league with anywhere near the amount of regular season success and playoff appearances is that little team in northern Wisconsin. Is this success meaningless because we didn't win it all as much as they have?

All I pointed out was we aren't the only team in the league that will cut a good player and get nothing in return.

Yes, NE won more SBs but all I was suggesting was the only team in the league with anywhere near the amount of regular season success and playoff appearances is that little team in northern Wisconsin. Is this success meaningless because we didn't win it all as much as they have?

For a lot us, kinda. Quick, now, without looking, when did the Pack win (or play in) Super Bowls? Pretty sure you got that one. :) Without looking, what were their regular season records and/or playoff records in any time-frame you pick (prior to just knee-jerk memory)? A little tougher? When the average Pack fan talks about domination, does the number 13 come up a lot? Does (whatever the number is for winning seasons, playoff victories, division championships, or anything else like that) come up a lot?

Without really being snarky, you get my drift. Minnesota has had a lot of good seasons, a lot of division titles. The Bears, also. How much bragging is their fan base entitled to?

For a lot us, kinda. Quick, now, without looking, when did the Pack win (or play in) Super Bowls? Pretty sure you got that one. :) Without looking, what were their regular season records and/or playoff records in any time-frame you pick (prior to just knee-jerk memory)? A little tougher? When the average Pack fan talks about domination, does the number 13 come up a lot? Does (whatever the number is for winning seasons, playoff victories, division championships, or anything else like that) come up a lot?

Without really being snarky, you get my drift. Minnesota has had a lot of good seasons, a lot of division titles. The Bears, also. How much bragging is their fan base entitled to?

It's like an Atlanta braves fan in the 90s comparing themselves to the Yankees in that time period IMO.

I'm always reminded that the Vikings under Bud Grant made 4(?) trips to the Championship & never won. I'm also reminded that Buffalo made 4 trips and never won.

Depending on your point of view, you could say both teams were successful, or failures. I always remember Lombardi saying; "I have finished twice in my time in Green Bay. I don't want that to happen again." That sums up the difference between being a winner and a loser.

I'm a sore loser. But, I do understand there are times you accept it, and walk away, your head held high, because you did the best you could with what you had. It's when I sometimes feel that McCarthy hasn't game planned properly for a team, or fails to identify halftime changes that can be done to turn a game around, that I want him and his coaches gone.

MM is in the upper 1/3 as a HC. But at the same time how many wouldn't be if they have Rodgers as their QB?

What I do know is that addition by subtraction doesn't make your team better. Sutton wasn't only our best OL, but maybe the toughest SOB playing through injury since Favre. Would have let Lang or Bulaga go before Sitton.

How quick ppl forget the switch/swap of Lang/Sutton. That move improved the run game and helped pass pro.

Old news now, but thought I'd weigh in. Obviously it was done to take our minds and concerns off the Masthay cut.

Seriously, a bold move especially given this is a SB-capable team. IMO, this was mainly a "strategic long-term" decision with some minor reasons. Dump Sitton's salary and have that money available to negotiate and front-load new contracts replacing those contracts due to expire after this season. They must figure the OG position is safest to refill. Also guessing, when Sitton was told they weren't re-negotiating his contract during the season, that created an issue. Probably other issues as well we may never become aware of.

I'm always reminded that the Vikings under Bud Grant made 4(?) trips to the Championship & never won. I'm also reminded that Buffalo made 4 trips and never won.

Depending on your point of view, you could say both teams were successful, or failures. I always remember Lombardi saying; "I have finished twice in my time in Green Bay. I don't want that to happen again." That sums up the difference between being a winner and a loser.

I'm a sore loser. But, I do understand there are times you accept it, and walk away, your head held high, because you did the best you could with what you had. It's when I sometimes feel that McCarthy hasn't game planned properly for a team, or fails to identify halftime changes that can be done to turn a game around, that I want him and his coaches gone.

Bold 1 = IIRC, Lombardi finished every time in Green Bay (some better than others). :)

Bold 2 = That's why I say the Gory Years didn't bother me as much as they did some. We knew, going in, that it was a lousy team in need of significant improvement. Hence, winning almost any game was good, and winning one to mess with another team's season (especially our own division) was really something to savor (as much as the last two decades should have been with all the SB wins).

Back