What the hell is going on out there ? Roster cut edition

When the wheels start to fall off the bus, everyone is pointing at the other guy for not tightening them.

I think the coaching staff may have been given an ultimatum about doing better this year.

I look at Les Miles with LSU, and how the school is about to dump him because of his "lousy" 9-3 record last year, and I wonder if this isn't a similar situation. The loss to Wisconsin was devastating to him and his program. You have the talent out there - use it.

I agree with both points of view from their individual perspectives. It's a difficult read.

When the wheels start to fall off the bus, everyone is pointing at the other guy for not tightening them.

I think the coaching staff may have been given an ultimatum about doing better this year.

I look at Les Miles with LSU, and how the school is about to dump him because of his "lousy" 9-3 record last year, and I wonder if this isn't a similar situation. The loss to Wisconsin was devastating to him and his program. You have the talent out there - use it.

I agree with both points of view from their individual perspectives. It's a difficult read.

Difference is LSU had the most talented team in the conference maybe sans Alabama. Talent level in GB is overall very good but not elite. Yes elite at QB but other than that we lack difference makers.

I digress.

Bottom line. Lot of blame to go around

This situation is also a useful reminder of the leadership void in the locker room. I'll bring it up again because I think it's a good parallel, but the Pats cut Logan Mankins for ostensibly similar reasons in 2014 but went on to win the SB. They had the leaders in that room to focus and not feel sorry for anyone, especially Brady.

This is still strikes me as a soft team. MM treats them with kid gloves except when he's double talking or cutting them. I sense a lack of focus or willpower or something from AR but he's the guy they need it from the most.

Maybe history is a teacher....

Not that many years ago was the Favre divorce and that mess. Then more recent was Jennings and Jennings bashing back at the organization.

Sutton got paid, we got nothing in return, and as usual no one speaking from GB.

As usual am in agreement with Pack when it comes to issues like this. And no don't give TTa pass, in fact quite opposite and if been around my posts over the years have made that quite clear :)

Reactions: TW
First of all, I'm not wearing green and gold glasses nor am I drinking any koolaid. I still am left scratching my head on Sitton's release, BUT he's gone. No draft pick, no compensatory pick. That's the reality.
Believe it or not, some in the NFL weren't horribly surprised. It's tough to trade anyone when you just start shopping them the week of final cuts. Did TT, MM or the whole organization make a mistake? We don't know yet. It might seem like it right now, but I've never bought into the idea that they are trying to sabotage the team on purpose.
Just got done listening to Adam Caplan (ESPN?)on the radio and he claimed a couple of NFL GMs said they thought Sitton's play has regressed the last couple of years and the thing that surprised them was that the Pack didn't try to renegotiate his salary down to the $2-3M range reflecting his level of performance. They were said to be more surprised the Bears paid as much as they did.
Did the Pack offer to renegotiate? I haven't heard that anywhere. Did they tell Josh he was near the bottom of the OL priority list and he wanted out? That sounds a little more plausible, but nobody knows.
The proof will be in the pudding. As a Packer fan, I hope Taylor is better than my current opinion of him, but time will tell.
I get this: some of the board hate TT and use every excuse to jump on him. Some of the board have really grown tired of MM (myself included). But there are about 30 teams out there who wish they had the Packers problems. Just saying.

Last edited:
I am starting to read some rumors of a Sitton/Barrington spat that may have been over Sam Barrington's support of Kaepernick. I heard Sitton may have used some offensive language in the altercation. Combine that with his willingness to question authority, his unhappiness about his contract not being up for negotiation during the season and maybe it was an easier decision then we think. Maybe Sitton wasn't a cancer but maybe they thought he could become one. The eerie silence on both side just make me believe it is something they don't want us to know.

Did the Pack offer to renegotiate? I haven't heard that anywhere. Did they tell Josh he was near the bottom of the OL priority list and he wanted out? That sounds a little more plausible, but nobody knows.
I heard Lang and Sitton were both told their deals would not get redone during the season. Neither were happy about it but it didn't sound like they were outspoken about it. Maybe Sitton's agent got involved.

I heard Lang and Sitton were both told their deals would not get redone during the season. Neither were happy about it but it didn't sound like they were outspoken about it. Maybe Sitton's agent got involved.

This was confirmed by Lang himself yesterday. Brass told him and Josh at the same time. They want to focus on Bakh and Tretter. Maybe I'm crazy but I'd love to see TJ back anyway for stability.

Moves like this is why we have only 1 SB appearance while Pats keep returning.

TT & company either hold on to players too long getting nothing in return or a comp pick, while Pats trade players and get high draft picks. You don't just cut your best OL and get nothing for him.

This is a much bigger loss on field then most realize no matter how anyone spins it. The bs that they put the best players on the field and keep them doesn't apply anymore and hasn't for awhile.

Bill Walsh said a HC has a window and then his message gets stale. MM is past that time window. There are exceptions like coach B, but MM isn't close to him imo. For that matter neither is Thompson when it comes to player moves, draft moves, and free agency.

And yes something is wrong in GB and has been for at least 2 years.

MM only has the second best win loss record behind B.

The Pats can be ruthless getting rid of players too. Back in 2013 they cut their starting DT when they found out he had diabetes. Last year they let Wilfork go without compensation and Vince went on and played well in Houston.

Regardless of whether or not sitton's play has regressed it's highly unlikely that Lane Taylor is better than him at the present moment. The fact is that he was able to get a good deal from another team within 48 hours after his release. This speaks volumes about how other GMs in the league feel about his ability.

Even IF he was a locker room problem, which I doubt since we've never heard anything about it since he was drafted, I think it's hard to make a case the packers are a better team than they were a few days ago. That's the bottom line. Personally, I suspect that this move will come back to bite them. We shall see.

Back