What the hell is going on out there ? Roster cut edition

Fritz Shurmur's "bend but don't break" defense. He'd allow teams to move the ball between the 25 yard lines, then the defense would put them away when they got near the red zone. He did it using disguised schemes, and guys who fit specific roles, and did them well. It was a joy watching his teams work because you knew that even when the other team seemed to have the upper hand over our defense, Fritz was merely lulling them to sleep.

He was my favorite DC in Green Bay, all-time. Nolan Cromwell the best ST coach I've ever seen. These two guys knew how to train junk yard dogs.

So, Mark Chmura was on "Homer & Gabe" today and pretty much insinuated that he knew exactly what happened, that it had nothing to do with contract or salary, and that the best comparison he had is what happened to Wayne Simmons back in his day.

He also said that what happened is something that would probably have been tolerated in, say, Dallas or Baltimore. But not in Green Bay.

Take that for what it's worth.

not really sure what chmura is referring to, but i found this on the interwebs:

Simmons was a key contributor to the Packers' 1996 Super Bowl team, and tested free agency before resigning with the Packers after a long conversation with coach Mike Holmgren. The Packers traded Simmons to Kansas City on October 7, 1997.

Cliff Christl of the Journal Sentinel staff wrote in an August 24, 2002 story that "Simmons was traded after the Packers decided to bench him and insert Seth Joyner in the starting lineup." Holmgren figured that Simmons would be a disruption within the team if he remained as a backup player.

"I really look at him the same way I do (Andre) Rison," Holmgren said at the time. "Very, very volatile, high-strung guys who had been starters for their careers. I thought if we go ahead and do this, he might not accept it very well."
At the same time, Holmgren praised Simmons for his contribution during the Packers' (1996) championship season.
"Last year, he was a very, very important part of the team and I thought he had a great year," Holmgren said.

Whatever it was, Chmura said that was a big contributor to why they didn't repeat. The drop off from Simmons to Joyner was huge, similar to what Jason Wilde said on air is the difference between Sitton and Taylor.

He also said Shurmer fought like hell to keep him, but that Holmgren made the decision and sent him packing.

Not sure what chmura is referring to either. We need him to take us on a hot tub time machine.

not really sure what chmura is referring to, but i found this on the interwebs:

Yep another article saying Simmons and Holmgren did not get along and that's why he was shown the door.

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?5377-WAYNE-SIMMONS-STORY-TOUGHEST-GB-LINEBACKER-I-EVER-SAW

Sitton questioned play calling. MM said that Sitton needs to worry about playing guard. What I think happened Sitton voiced his thoughts once to often in front of other players MM was sick of it and told hi he was gone. If that's the case both sides are at fault. Sitton should hot have been bad mouthing the coach in front of other players. But MM should have been an adult and told him you have a problem with me come into my office and tell me face to face not to the players and undermine me.

.... But MM should have been an adult and told him you have a problem with me come into my office and tell me face to face not to the players and undermine me.

we don't know - maybe he did. maybe he did more than once and he just got fed up with the insubordination.

Whatever it was, Chmura said that was a big contributor to why they didn't repeat. The drop off from Simmons to Joyner was huge, similar to what Jason Wilde said on air is the difference between Sitton and Taylor.

He also said Shurmer fought like hell to keep him, but that Holmgren made the decision and sent him packing.
Which is another point at this stage... we most likely won't know what happened for sure for yrs if ever. But again a HC has made a key decision that could impact our season. It's rather moot now since it's done but I guess we can revisit this at seasons end and see what effect it truly had.

OT thought... MM is a complete idiot regarding the heat in the south and if they all end up with cramps on Sunday fully expect me to use bad language in shout. (You have been forewarned )

If this was really the issue then MM is too thin skinned. Man up for pete's sake. Sitton was outspoken sure, but he is also an All Pro. Did anyone question the effort he put out on the field? You don't weaken your OL because you got your feelings hurt. Arod questions stuff too, more than once. MM gonna cut him? Finley, same thing, but he always got a pass as being a passionate player.

If this was it then MM is slipping more than I thought.

If this was really the issue then MM is too thin skinned. Man up for pete's sake. Sitton was outspoken sure, but he is also an All Pro. Did anyone question the effort he put out on the field? You don't weaken your OL because you got your feelings hurt. Arod questions stuff too, more than once. MM gonna cut him? Finley, same thing, but he always got a pass as being a passionate player.

If this was it then MM is slipping more than I thought.

I think MM is thin skinned. He hates anyone who questions what he does. IMO MM thinks that no one has the right to question his judgement.

OT thought... MM is a complete idiot regarding the heat in the south and if they all end up with cramps on Sunday fully expect me to use bad language in shout. (You have been forewarned )

How so? Just out of curiosity

Back