What the hell is going on out there ? Roster cut edition

I think Dubz scenario might be closest, at least from my perspective. Other than that first season TT hasn't really made a lot of personnel moves just based on money. They don't need the money to extend Tretter and/or BahkT.

It doesn't even have to be Sitton and MM having a conflict. Who knows, maybe his agent stuck his nose in and said, "You know, Josh has played injured in the past, but if you won't extend him and give him security, I'm going to recommend to him that he sit if he's not 100%."

Maybe Josh agreed with that stance and told MM and TT that. Might make them think differently about the situation given that his back has left him less than 100% for quite a few games the past couple of years. I'm just throwing that out there as a scenario. Not saying there is any truth to it.

It runs both ways. I agree that the player needs to look out for himself and at the same time, the team needs to do what it needs to do, so might not have wanted to cut a young guy in favor of an older guy that won't be back, and in circumstances that might get testy by the end of the season given that other guys are getting paid and Sitton isn't.

I do know Sitton got the money he wanted, and he was not going to get that kind of cash from the Pack. Best of luck to him.

Lastly, while we can blame TT/MM for not handling it well, at least both are staying pretty classy about it. McGinn asked TT about Sitton and TT said he had nothing to say other than something to the effect that "Sitton is a great player and certainly one of my best draft picks". While the fan-base may want more answers than that, does it really benefit the team. You say something that can be construed the wrong way and you have a PR situation with players thinking you'll throw them under the bus. This way, the players may not like it, but at least you don't anger them more by saying anything that could be taken the wrong way and used against the player.

All of that said, no matter the outcome of this season, I think the TT/MM ship has nearly reached port. Might be time for them to get off in the next couple of years and let someone else sit in the wheelhouse.

Unless I have missed it where has his agent been. They are usually the first ones to stick up for their player.

This is what I'm talking about. There is way to much radio silence right now. Usually those agents are out ahead of this giving us their spiel. Nothing. Not a word. Something deeper than we know.

This is what I'm talking about. There is way to much radio silence right now. Usually those agents are out ahead of this giving us their spiel. Nothing. Not a word. Something deeper than we know.

I've been wondering about that since the first day we found out about this because of this:

“I really don’t want to talk, man,” Sitton wrote in a text message to Jason Wilde of ESPN.com. “I’m thankful to the organization. It’s a tough business. . . . I’m sad I will be leaving Green Bay. I am thankful for my time here.”
Packers General Manager Ted Thompson said the move “was done with a focus on what is best for the team and the growth of the offensive line.” When asked about any explanation from the team for the release, Sitton wrote to “call my agent.” Wilde did, but didn’t get a return call.

So, it certainly looks like Sitton was just trying to get Wilde off his back, and nobody had any intention of saying anything.

His client is signed sealed and delivered with a big contract. Smart to lay low no reason to leak info. He has other clients on the team if I remember correctly

I am still onboard the Sitton conspiracy train, but if you want a look at the broader NFL picture that this move took place in, this IMO is a very good article:

https://theringer.com/the-nfl-has-an-age-problem-7068825845e4#.nzg9rq6c5

In particular this line stood out to me:

In every year since the NFL/AFL merger in 1970, a 36-year-old offensive lineman had appeared in a game — until last season, when there were no 35-year-olds, either. Last year, the number of offensive linemen age 28 or over who appeared in a game dropped nearly 20 percent compared to 2011, while the number of players age 31 or older at any position fell 20 percent from a decade ago.

That floored me, in my mind this is still a league where those grizzly old OL could still line up and hold their own but it's just not so, and you better believe TT has been aboard this train for a long time. They're just not going to go there with OL on their second contract, and Sitton is right there at the chopping point.

Good read R.

I've said for years this is a business with zero loyalty. This reinforced my opinion on that. I don't think this was a decision made last week. It was made this summer.

My scenario -

Club went to Sitton and restructure his contract. But it came with a pay cut. In other words I'll give you more years of security but less money. And Josh if you don't take it we will release you.

Thompson was "confident" he would be loyal and accept. Sitton camp countered with extention with a pay raise. Ok who blinks first. Club tried to trade him. No takers. Or not at their price which is an issue with Thompson. See lynch, Moss, Gonzalez.

Team thinks they won't miss a beat. Plus could be a locker room issues. So cut was made. Saves cap room to extend others.

One other thought. When / if they attempted to trade him Thompson saw a soft market Sitton. Agent thought different. Thompson imo is out of touch with the FA market. For him it's draft develop and scouting. I'm not convinced the front office has close relationship with agents. They won't or cannot gauge the market.

One other thought. When / if they attempted to trade him Thompson saw a soft market Sitton. Agent thought different. Thompson imo is out of touch with the FA market. For him it's draft develop and scouting. I'm not convinced the front office has close relationship with agents. They won't or cannot gauge the market.

Soft trade market but maybe a strong FA market. Wouldn't it have been wise to get some compensation?

Soft trade market but maybe a strong FA market. Wouldn't it have been wise to get some compensation?

True. But again agents know the market and it's about playing the game. Thompson anticipated a soft FA market. Called their bluff and lost

Back