Thompson: "We value draft and development, we value free agency"

Overthecap.com says we have $22,135,614 in cap space. Sounds like a LOT.

But 19 teams have more. Jags have 80M, Raiders almost 75M. Bears, Giants, Rams, 49ers, Titans and Bucs have about 50-60M.

It's VERY likely some team is willing to spend like a drunken yuppie on Green and especially Trevathan. If not, I agree, we should go get 'em!
Take out $6m for rookie pool and about $4m for Crosby. Then decide on Neal Perry Hayward. It's not much.

Overthecap.com says we have $22,135,614 in cap space. Sounds like a LOT.

But 19 teams have more. Jags have 80M, Raiders almost 75M. Bears, Giants, Rams, 49ers, Titans and Bucs have about 50-60M.

It's VERY likely some team is willing to spend like a drunken yuppie on Green and especially Trevathan. If not, I agree, we should go get 'em!
Thanks for the update. I did not realize all those teams have so much cap space. It seems every year Seattle goes after top FA's. There are articles out here every year (this year being no exception) of FA's Seattle is targeting. Not sure why Ted and Co., can't figure out creative ways to get deals done? It seems like Brandt always figured out ways to get these deals done in team-friendly deals. What's changed? sh))

The Raiders probably figured, 'It's Ted. Why bother? He won't even try to match it.' Now Thompson comes out and says this team has very few weaknesses. He should study the team when Aaron is hurt.

ILB, TE, OL depth, another wideout, another OLB to spell and eventually replace Peppers, DL are all needs....not luxuries imo. Would it kill him to sign a TE like Green and an ILB like Travathon? Then the draft doesn't have to be strictly tryng desperately to fill all the needs. You don't have to spend like a drunken yuppie.

'We value fee agency.' What a joke.
Ted signs quite a few of his own guys. People don't regard that as "free agency." This team also has a knack for finding quality undrafted guys. That's "free agency" too.

Ted signs quite a few of his own guys. People don't regard that as "free agency." This team also has a knack for finding quality undrafted guys. That's "free agency" too.
What quality undrafted guys are impact players on this team or would be considered quality depth?

What quality undrafted guys are impact players on this team or would be considered quality depth?
Shields.

Elliott, Pennel, Gunter. Joe Thomas was actually OK as pure coverage ILB.

Tolzien, Kuhn. Banjo on STs. Those three are UFAs at the moment.

Some of the above were originally UDFAs for other teams.

No doubt it's veeeery rare to get a difference-maker outta UDFA. But it isn't like you can't get any production.

Exactly. They give millions to guys like Sean Richardson. That's FA too, I guess. If you're going to use two 3rd rounders on Rodgers and Thornton, you gotta use other means to acquire players. That's probably not fair. Every GM misses on picks. But using Draft and UNDFA's only is inadequate, imo. They're wasting Aaron's prime years waiting to fill all the holes in limited ways. Look how long it took to address the Safety inefficiencies. nailbite)

Last edited:
Shields.

No doubt it's veeeery rare to get a difference-maker outta UDFA. But it isn't like you can't get any production.
Salmar, you make good points. However, of all those guys, Shields is the only true stud. Players go undrafted for a reason. There is usually holes in their game somewhere. We don't need a pure coverage LB at the ILB position. Ted needs to get a stud in there. I hope it doesn't take as long as it did to get a good Safety. Sorry, but I'll take a GM like Schneider any day of the week over a stubborn 'My way only' GM like Ted. Just my opinion.

Thanks for the update. I did not realize all those teams have so much cap space. It seems every year Seattle goes after top FA's. There are articles out here every year (this year being no exception) of FA's Seattle is targeting. Not sure why Ted and Co., can't figure out creative ways to get deals done? It seems like Brandt always figured out ways to get these deals done in team-friendly deals. What's changed? sh))
SEA has had success with FAs. But do not ignore Seattle's utter failures with some of those aggressive moves. Flynn? Sydney Rice? Zach Miller? The Harvin and Graham trades? It's not like Schneider has Midas' touch with that, he's hit AND missed.

For me, Schneider's style sure would be more fun. Especially this time of the season. I'd love to be more entertained, and love for him to become our GM when TT retires! His biggest strength, for me, has been drafting well. Both him and TT have same number of SB wins since Schneider went to Seattle.

Ball is good at doing team-friendly deals. Getting players re-signed, and at low guarantees. I don't think Brandt got THAT many guys on great deals, especially from the outside. Essentially he got Woody, who was a reject at that point. Pickett was a role guy, but nothing special. Those creative deals just aren't always available - often some team hands out simple cash and silly guarantees.

Shields.

I'll give you Shields but let's not use special teams guts as examples of impact players or quality depth.

I'll give you Shields but let's not use special teams guts as examples of impact players or quality depth.
I think you're setting this thing up in a way, where there's no way to defend having them.

If you mean by "quality depth" someone who is instantly ready to step into a starting role (preferably also proven), you're right. Veeeery few UDFAs can provide that. Out of ours, I'd count Kuhn and Pennel as such. Tolzien and Gunter likely can't replace the starter, but few could.

But TT and MM don't count on them being starters, either! Mostly you can only get role/ST players outta UDFAs. They can be quality depth at that specific role. Most of them are deep depth, who rarely play. Last guys on the 53, with maybe some potential in the future. And are dirt cheap.

If I have to guess your reasoning, it would be that we should replace some UDFAs with UFAs, who are probably more impact or provide depth of better quality. But I don't see those two as interchangeable. Those last roster spots better be cheap and play STs. I'd look more into the middle-level contract guys as those who could be replaced with better and richer alternatives.

(Sorry in advance for the guesses. I tried to make this conversation move somewhere.)

Back