Thompson: "We value draft and development, we value free agency"

I think you're setting this thing up in a way, where there's no way to defend having them.

If you mean by "quality depth" someone who is instantly ready to step into a starting role (preferably also proven), you're right. Veeeery few UDFAs can provide that. Out of ours, I'd count Kuhn and Pennel as such. Tolzien and Gunter likely can't replace the starter, but few could.

But TT and MM don't count on them being starters, either! Mostly you can only get role/ST players outta UDFAs. They can be quality depth at that specific role. Most of them are deep depth, who rarely play. Last guys on the 53, with maybe some potential in the future. And are dirt cheap.

If I have to guess your reasoning, it would be that we should replace some UDFAs with UFAs, who are probably more impact or provide depth of better quality. But I don't see those two as interchangeable. Those last roster spots better be cheap and play STs. I'd look more into the middle-level contract guys as those who could be replaced with better and richer alternatives.

(Sorry in advance for the guesses. I tried to make this conversation move somewhere.)
I'm ok with Tier 2 guys but Thompson avoids that also. He has failed to fill holes at the ILB. The depth at OL is beyond poor. But if you want guts like Barkley keep using cheap UDFA guys. I get there is a drop off on all teams past the first 22 but ours is drastic. Plus for draft and develop to work you need to hit a high percentage in Rounds 1-3. Thompson has missed too much.

And here we go again....

Did anyone honestly think TT would change his ways? rofl( I have said this before and I will say it again, we will be lucky to win another Super Bowl before AR retires. TT is too conservative and MM is a horrible game manager and gets out coached consistently in the playoffs. bh(

Deal with it gentleman. This is the hand we have been dealt. Look forward to the rebuilding years in 4 years. coffee(

I'll give you Shields but let's not use special teams guts as examples of impact players or quality depth.

i think elliott is going to be a starter some day. pennel and gunter are quality depth in my opinion.

I'm ok with Tier 2 guys but Thompson avoids that also. He has failed to fill holes at the ILB. The depth at OL is beyond poor. But if you want guts like Barkley keep using cheap UDFA guys. I get there is a drop off on all teams past the first 22 but ours is drastic. Plus for draft and develop to work you need to hit a high percentage in Rounds 1-3. Thompson has missed too much.
Barclay is great depth. He's not meant to be a starter. We have a ton of depth on this team thanks to Ted. We are thin in some areas, but I think by far what has cost us the last two years is Mike's game management (or lack thereof.)

Pretty sure I can get many to agree that Barclay is NOT considered great depth - maybe he's not meant to be a starter, but he's not meant to play like we've seen him perform (badly), either. IF that's the case, the only real depth I've SEEN on the OLine is Tretter. TE doesn't even have a starter with whom we're happy, so depth isn't worth discussing. Allowing for Jordy to come back as before, and therefore Cobb gets better again, who has SHOWN the ability to be the depth? Won't bother with QB since conventional wisdom is that if AR is out, so is the Pack. RB has a "will he come back" Lacy and a minimum wage Starks. FB is pretty deep, though.

Defensively, the DBs, overall are nowhere near the question mark they once were. However, for ILB, see the TE situation above (depending upon how you view Matthews), and at OLB, Peppers played well but is old, Perry and Neal are a combination of brittle and UFA (although maybe Matthews helps here - pick one). DL has Daniels and...

Obviously a subjective evaluation, but I sure don't see the team depth.

Barclay is great depth. He's not meant to be a starter. We have a ton of depth on this team thanks to Ted. We are thin in some areas, but I think by far what has cost us the last two years is Mike's game management (or lack thereof.)

Sorry, but I have to disagree. If Barclay was "great" depth, then his job is to be able to play when needed in a part-time role. He should be able to give you a credible effort for a game or two (or parts of games) with maybe some minor fall off from the starter. Barclay was FAR from credible. He was a problem.

Instead they needed to go through 3 more guys after him until they found some depth - Tretter. Every back-up has to be able to start for a game or two or parts of games and be "decent". Barclay was not decent.

Barclay will be lucky to make the team this year. Every time he was out there this year he got his butt handed to him.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. If Barclay was "great" depth, then his job is to be able to play when needed in a part-time role. He should be able to give you a credible effort for a game or two (or parts of games) with maybe some minor fall off from the starter. Barclay was FAR from credible. He was a problem.

Instead they needed to go through 3 more guys after him until they found some depth - Tretter. Every back-up has to be able to start for a game or two or parts of games and be "decent". Barclay was not decent.
He should never have been in a position to play LT. He can get it done on the interior, and if his knee gets back to where it was at RT.

Barkley was a disaster in 2015. Hes serviceable as a run blocker but in pass pro he got abused. Depth? Not at

Back