Super Bowl or Bust?

Dix. We know how good Harrison Smith and Eric Berry are. We still don't know how good HHCD will be! :)

On the defensive issue... I've been raising cain about that defensive front since Capers messed with it. Yes it's talent because your drafting OLB as DE and or hand in the dirt 43 DE and plugging them in at OLB. So it's a combination of talent.. coaching and scouting on that particular issue.

Stop trying to plug square pegs in round holes and fix the bloody issue already !

On the defensive issue... I've been raising cain about that defensive front since Capers messed with it. Yes it's talent because your drafting OLB as DE and or hand in the dirt 43 DE and plugging them in at OLB. So it's a combination of talent.. coaching and scouting on that particular issue.

Stop trying to plug square pegs in round holes and fix the bloody issue already !
That's kind of my point. They're talented square pegs! Not sure the defensive scheme is right, but I'm hoping it all gels this year on the defense side, DC doesn't go to "bend don't break" as often or too early, and someone (on-the-field leader) lights a fire under their butts during those crucial stands so they can make one!

Could it be because of good offensive coaching and game planning & management and poor defensive game management. It seems the defense has been the focus of most of the TT drafts. I don't know, just throwing it out there. sp)

On the defensive side, it could very well be a combo. I know that sounds like and easy way out but I can't quite put my finger on the problem. I am not a big Capers fan so I border on being biased with my comments. I don't particularly like the output of his defense and I think the game may have passed him by but you'll have more than a fair share of fans pointing to the favorable critique of Capers amongst his fellow coaches.

I hate to bag on the talent but with this offense, the prowess of Rodgers and McCarthy as offensive gurus, then how couldn't an average defense not suffice? So if this is a supposed above average D, talent-wise, this team should be banging on the door of a Super Bowl every year. If one believes in the talent, then Capers must be the problem. If one believes that Capers is handling his duties well, then it must be the players. It may not be either or. It just may be a combo of both.

That's kind of my point. They're talented square pegs! Not sure the defensive scheme is right, but I'm hoping it all gels this year on the defense side, DC doesn't go to "bend don't break" as often or too early, and someone (on-the-field leader) lights a fire under their butts during those crucial stands so they can make one!
Perry is the perfect example. He not an OLB and that's not his natural position. That's on Thompson.

Burnett, Dix and Hyde are not out of position square pegs. They just are not Collins or Woodson.

The scheme is not perfect but as an example compare the speed on defense Denver and Carolina had last year compared to GB. Night and day

Not sure the defensive scheme is right, but I'm hoping it all gels this year on the defense side, DC doesn't go to "bend don't break" as often or too early, and someone (on-the-field leader) lights a fire under their butts during those crucial stands so they can make one!

That's always been a concern of mine and I'm not sure why they seem to do that so often. Maybe it just seems that way but it always feels like the game is made closer than it needs to be because of it.

The scheme is not perfect but as an example compare the speed on defense Denver and Carolina had last year compared to GB. Night and day

I would almost go so far as to say that most, if not all, 2015-2016 playoff team defenses had more speed.

On the defensive side, it could very well be a combo. I know that sounds like and easy way out but I can't quite put my finger on the problem. I am not a big Capers fan so I border on being biased with my comments. I don't particularly like the output of his defense and I think the game may have passed him by but you'll have more than a fair share of fans pointing to the favorable critique of Capers amongst his fellow coaches.

I hate to bag on the talent but with this offense, the prowess of Rodgers and McCarthy as offensive gurus, then how couldn't an average defense not suffice? So if this is a supposed above average D, talent-wise, this team should be banging on the door of a Super Bowl every year. If one believes in the talent, then Capers must be the problem. If one believes that Capers is handling his duties well, then it must be the players. It may not be either or. It just may be a combo of both.
Well said. I believe in the defensive talent. With essentially the same D talent-wise and using the same scheme as last year, but one year more experience means there should be some improvement. Better on-the-field leadership and better late game management and we're banging on that Super Bowl door.

Last edited:
The best statement I heard in this entire thread stated that an owner, not Packer ownership, would have fired Thompson and McCarthy for not getting the job done. We're complacent, whether we want to admit it or not. Packer fans sign on with the front office, and coaching staff, and treat them like family. Unless someone in that family totally runs over another member, they're forgiven for their mistakes. Agree or not, that's why we had the 70s and 80s. Complacency. Believing that because a guy's name was Forrest Gregg, or Bart Starr, they could do nothing wrong. Sandwiched in were other coaches, and people out front, who were in the same boat. They couldn't do much of anything without the Board of Directors approving it. I doubt they could even change the brand of toilet paper used in the locker rooms to be honest.

Having supported the team during that 20 years when the Packers were called "The Siberia of Football," I saw players who felt their career was over the moment they hit Green Bay. I also saw guys who couldn't cut it anywhere else comment that they could be in the league, only if they stayed in GB. I'm not talking of "heard about it," but actually had these things said to me by players, over drinks in bars! Before you throw this out as being marginal players, that's not the case. This includes guys who made it to Canton, and are honored members of the Packer Hall of Fame.

Not that long ago, I heard a comment coming out of McCarthy's office that fans who don't support them and their efforts aren't real fans. Kind of made my blood boil. He's lost sight of who he is. He's a guy collecting millions of dollars to produce a winner, and quite honestly, 12-4 with an early exit from the playoffs when you have what could be the premier QB in the league is totally unacceptable. You have to win when you have that much fire power.

As far as Capers, I was a strong supporter of Capers coming in. That's history. Like was stated by someone else, the game has passed him by. His schemes, and disguising of schemes, is no longer in touch with today. He's lost big time with his constant shuffling and pointing at whipping boys at ILB. Somewhere along the line, he has to face the consequences for his errors, not pin it on a guy who has been given an impossible assignment on the field.

If they don't win the whole show this year, I'd dump the lot of them to be honest. They're caught in mindset. The Rodgers era is going by the wayside and we should have at least one, probably two more Lombardi Trophies already, to show for it.

Check out Oak, I've never seen him so active on a Packer board. Normally he sits back and observes and now he's all over it.
Wonder what the heck has got into him? Whatever it is, I like it.pop(

Back