Super Bowl or Bust?

But look at the quality of players Ted drafts. I think he has got average to above average in the last several drafts. Does not seem to see many blue chippers on this team. You replace Rodgers with a average to above average QB this is a 7-9 to 10-6 team year in and year out.

How many "Blue Chippers" are on the Packers in your opinion? How many Blue Chippers does the average team have?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...lers-panthers-headline-10-most-talented-teams

This article lists Blue Chip players for 10 teams. With as liberal as they were at designating a player Blue Chip, I would say the Packers have A. Rodgers, Jordy Nelson, Julius Peppers, Clay Matthews, Mike Daniels, Josh Sitton, Bryan Bulaga, Mason Crosby and even HHCD.

But when you are drafting 20 or below every year you don't get a shot at Blue chip players. I think Thompson has drafted well on offense. Nelson Cobb Lacy but he has really missed on defense for the most part
Could it be because of good offensive coaching and game planning & management and poor defensive game management. It seems the defense has been the focus of most of the TT drafts. I don't know, just throwing it out there. sp)

Could it be because of good offensive coaching and game planning & management and poor defensive game management. It seems the defense has been the focus of most of the TT drafts. I don't know, just throwing it out there. sp)

There is more talent on offense

How many "Blue Chippers" are on the Packers in your opinion? How many Blue Chippers does the average team have?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...lers-panthers-headline-10-most-talented-teams

This article lists Blue Chip players for 10 teams. With as liberal as they were at designating a player Blue Chip, I would say the Packers have A. Rodgers, Jordy Nelson, Julius Peppers, Clay Matthews, Mike Daniels, Josh Sitton, Bryan Bulaga, Mason Crosby and even HHCD.

Dix I would not put in that category

Dix I would not put in that category

I agree to a point but if you look at some of the guys in the article that are considered Blue Chip, Dix isn't far behind. For instance Harrison Smith from Minnesota and Eric Berry from KC are considered Blue Chip but HHCD had at least as good of stats as those guys if not better.

There is more talent on offense
Okay... why? Is it simply "natural talent"? Can it be because offensive coaching has better schemes to succeed? Is it because coaching has put them in or removed them from their natural positions? Is it because of leadership on one side of the ball or the other?

I can hire the most talented people and put them in to bad systems and they will fail. Often, the opposite is true as well. Or I can have great people but be a bad project manager (game manager) and the team fails.

Example... one year we see Cobb look like he has all the talent in the world and the next he looks no better than an average WR at best. Was it different talent? In this case we know his talent didn't change, rather it was due to injuries on the offensive side.

My point is, I'm not sure the defense lacks talent as opposed to poor defense management.

I agree to a point but if you look at some of the guys in the article that are considered Blue Chip, Dix isn't far behind. For instance Harrison Smith from Minnesota and Eric Berry from KC are considered Blue Chip but HHCD had at least as good of stats as those guys if not better.
I'll take both over Dix. Just me

Okay... why? Is it simply "natural talent"? Can it be because offensive coaching has better schemes to succeed? Is it because coaching has put them in or removed them from their natural positions? Is it because of leadership on one side of the ball or the other?

I can hire the most talented people and put them in to bad systems and they will fail. Often, the opposite is true as well. Or I can have great people but be a bad project manager (game manager) and the team fails.

Example... one year we see Cobb look like he has all the talent in the world and the next he looks no better than an average WR at best. Was it different talent? In this case we know his talent didn't change, rather it was due to injuries on the offensive side.

My point is, I'm not sure the defense lacks talent as opposed to poor defense management.

Reality is Rodgers makes Cobb and as Nelson better. Put Andy Dalton back there it changes things.
As to the defense. We blame the linebackers but the DL gets pushed around. Perry played out of position, and we lost a shutdown guy in Woodson. Collins had more range than Burnett or Dix.

I get your point but you win with play makers and other than Matthews this defense lacks play makers. Look at the SB team. Woodson, Collins, Matthews, Williams, Raji. Are there scheme issues yes but top to bottom there is a talent void

I knew you'd hit on the talent issue. That's the key. It was a good article. A lot of drafting later in the rounds. That doesn't excuse the lack of talent on the roster but it highlights the fact that you have to have a darn good scouting team as well as hitting way more than missing on those picks.

And one more thing on coaching. The position coaches need to share the blame on development.

Back