Rodgers Prime time woes

I mostly agree with Marks overall evaluation but saying we were spoiled by Brett kinds of glosses over some of the really poor years Brett had at about the same point in his career.

The year Brett turned 30 he had a 22-TD, 23-INT season with a passer rating of 74.7. To show that wasn't a fluke, the very next year when he turned 31, he had a 20-TD, 16-INT season with a rating of 78. He rebounded with a nice year in 2001 but once again had a more pedestrian 2002 with 27-TD, 16-INT, 85.6 rating.

Brett didn't exactly have a flat trajectory to his career either and interestingly had a similar dip in his career right in that age 30-33 point. I think he would point some fingers at himself as Aaron should as well, but that also corresponded to a period with some questionable coaching and a dip in WR talent.

This is gonna sound nutty but things might not be as dire as we fear. If we think about it we went on the road against a divisional rival who was christening their shiny new greenhouse that seems to be just as noisy as the Humpty Dump was. We played poorly and if not for a foolish decision by McCarthy for not taking the sure 3 point FG we still had a shot at winning that game until late. Interesting facts about the game:

Total yards? GB - 263
MN - 284
Time of possession? GB - 29:42
MN - 30:18
First downs? GB - 20
MN - 15
TURNOVERS? GB - 3
MN - 1

So the biggest reason we lost was, as is usual in the NFL, turnovers. If we can beat Detroit at home next week I doubt MN is gonna go to Carolina minus AP and win there and we'll be back to even after 3 weeks. :)

Good points Pugger. It's a division rival and a tough place to play. The schedule is in the Packers favor but they have to clean it up. Penalties hurt but Minny had 65 more penalty yards. What's concerning is Rodgers play. He's missing open swing passes, throwing footballs at WR's feet and had 3 fumbles. Lot of season left to get it righted.

Last edited:
Good points Pugger. It's a division rival and a tough place to play. The schedule is in the Packers favor but they have to clean it up. Penalties hurt but Min NY had 65 more penalty yards. What's concerning is Rodgers play. He's missing open swing passes, throwing footballs at WR's feet and had 3 fumbles. Lot of season left to get it righted.

I hope so. I love talking about our favorite team on these forums but it has been damn depressing to read these last night and today. It almost seems like we all want to fire everybody, bench Rodgers and start over. :(

I'm still trying to come to grips with a stat that was thrown out in the shout box where it was said that AR has had 14 consecutive games with a passer rating under 100? That's concerning isn't it? I'm not a huge follower of QB passer rating so anyone with more knowledge please share but this is hard to wrap my brain around, especially since this is Aaron Rodgers we're talking about.

Well, isn't that a cheerful little read? :)

Rodgers' stats are frightening to anyone who's ever worn a piece of cheese on their head. The all-time leader in single-season passer rating (122.5) and career passer rating (104.1) hasn't broken into the 100s in 14 straight games. The last two times he threw for more than 300 yards were the first two games after last year's Denver debacle, and it took Rodgers 48 and 61 attempts to get there. He's had days of 212, 202, 204, 151, 210, 199 and 213 passing yards scattered among the last 14 games. He's averaging 206 yards in the first two games of 2016 -- 27th out of the 30 quarterbacks who started in Weeks 1 and 2. In a year in which more than half of NFL quarterbacks have ratings above 90, Rodgers is at 82.6, looking up at Dak Prescott.

Ugh.

Lots of issues: No apparent WR depth, AR can't rely on timing and separation to get in sync with his #1 and #2 compounded by a 3rd who can't catch the ball, the 4th, 5th and TE not getting opportunities due to whatever reason, and too much pressure.

Maybe it is a matter of knocking the rust off and it coming together. Playing time has been nil for many to get perfectly in sync. I was amazed at the actual (lack of) number of padded practice hours these players actually to receive in today's NFL! And then sit for most of preseason games, it may be a number of games.

In the meantime, maybe mix in more formations, simple motion, and route combinations (legal picks) rather than the precise timing routes that require separation and a perfectly timed and ran dropback and release. Also, don't give up on establishing a running game so early.

Back