Rodgers Prime time woes

Budman

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Legend In His Own Mind
Reaction score
Is it a trend or just a string of bad luck? We all know the offense struggled last year so I'm hoping these numbers get a little better this year with a healthy team.

LINK

Reactions: TW
It does make us think. In fact, a lot of the Packers offensive game needs to be thought out. It was so explosive, and suddenly evaporated against teams with respectable defenses.

Is it Rodgers, or is it McCarthy's game plans? A weak game plan will have a direct effect on Rodgers results.

Is it Rodgers, or is it McCarthy's game plans? A weak game plan will have a direct effect on Rodgers results.

Reminds me of an article or piece on a sports show, can't fully remember, but they talked of how Belichick'so offense specifically game plans for anext opponents defense as to exploit that defense. In contrast, MM believes in his personnel packages beating their man. He's gonna continue to use the same groupings and it's up to them to beat their man.

Again, going off memory so if it's all bunk, go ahead and rip it apart but this is why I think the NFL has caught up to MMs offense. They know what's coming. I commented, in the shout during last game, about how this offense and AR frequently seem to operate on broken plays. There's rarely seems a time where AR drops back and suddenly drills a WR. From what I see, is that he often drops back, has to drift, slide and even escape pocket before he can try and deliver a ball. Is it just that the plays take a long time to develop? WR's not getting separation? Defense knowing what's coming? I don't know but continually having to rely on AR to create magic is not going to be a long term successful game plan.

Agree completely, Budman.
This happened against Jacksonville last week. AR had 5 to 6 seconds alot of the time yet no WRs were open.
This is also part of the reason why we dont use the TE like we should. There have been numerous times where we could have worked the middle of the field with the TE and we dont or the defense knows what's coming so it is covered.
We havd all discussed this before. MM is a stubborn ass. He wont change and defenses will continue to give us an early exit in ghe playoffs.

i remember a few years ago how rodgers was regularly receiving praise in the media for how quickly he got rid of the ball. that sort of quickness relies on receivers getting to their spots quickly and being open. but as bud says, if you never change up the game plan, it doesn't take long before opposing defenses know where those spots are and figure out how to keep the receivers from getting there.

i agree that mike mccarthy's methodology of using the same packages and plays every game puts an unnecessary burden on the offense. mm has become stale and seems to be unwilling or unable to put the time in to create specific game plans for each opponent.

i remember a few years ago how rodgers was regularly receiving praise in the media for how quickly he got rid of the ball. that sort of quickness relies on receivers getting to their spots quickly and being open. but as bud says, if you never change up the game plan, it doesn't take long before opposing defenses know where those spots are and figure out how to keep the receivers from getting there.

i agree that mike mccarthy's methodology of using the same packages and plays every game puts an unnecessary burden on the offense. mm has become stale and seems to be unwilling or unable to put the time in to create specific game plans for each opponent.
I agree wholeheartedly

I think we're all seeing something happening the same. The offense has become "stale," to quote a term that might fit.

If it's "McCarthy's offense," and all the coordinators and offensive assistants follow the "blue print as shown," they can only follow the lines defined on paper, which in this case would be the routes, formations, and just about everything else related to our offense.

Even my wife watches the game and can tell pretty much what every play will be when it comes to pass or run, and can also guess it right 75% of the time as to where the run or pass will be thrown.

Where we have been fortunate over the early years with Rodgers is that he is so good he's been able to thread the needle, even to guys in double coverage. As his legs age, and his arm becomes a little less elastic, the throws take longer, and that 1/20th of a second he has to make that decision is gone, and he has to look to a more conventional connection.

I'm not throwing Rodgers under the bus. I'm saying that Bum Phillips said it best; "Coaches are hired to be fired!" When asked to explain it, he said exactly what you guys are actually saying in your own way.

The defenses in the league have caught on to the arc of calls and formations the Packers use on offense. It's time that they modify their WCO, and go to counter measures that stop teams from being as confident as they are, when it comes to defending against our offense.

I remember when Holmgren found teams cheating in with 8 in the box, he'd pass over the middle to TEs on quick slants, and short crossing routes from the WRs. He also found ways to get the RBs out of the backfield into the flats for screens against bull rushes. These were all calls based on player packages on the field, and the QB making the changes, so defenses couldn't be over confident.

I also believe that the Capers defensive schemes have run their course. I see a lot of teams playing a more hybrid version of the 3-4, and getting better results. It starts by having a huge safety type player controlling the middle of the field when it comes to passes, not a huge LB who can't match up in speed.

This has to be one of the best discussions of the year so far.. thumbsupCLP)br)

Everything said here is why MM cant get over the hump. When he goes up against a defense who has the talent to cover the WR close his game plan fails because you need to create space and diversion.

Thats why I say its time for him to go,

It's never popular amongst average fans to say a coach should be fired when the team is still winning. You can't even say "why" they're wrong. If you tell the truth, they get mad.

The fact is, a lot of fans are just "fans." They know that Nelson, Matthews, and Rodgers play for the Packers. Mention anything that's nuts and bolts of the game and they are lost. There's still fans out there that walked away from the Packers because they think Favre should still be the QB. Were they really Packer fans? Are they Packer fans?

I'm not knocking them. I'm just pointing out the difference between people who understand the game, and those who watch it strictly as fans.

I was fortunate. I married a lady who liked watching me play, coach, and saw one of our sons play at all levels through college. She learned the game, and can talk about it as well as anyone I know. Don't find many of those. That's one of the reasons we've been married nearly 52 years.

It's just nice to be able to discuss this in a manner that allows for all types of opinions. Sometimes I watch these games and feel like I'm the only one that views it this way and I question if I really know what I'm seeing. It just gets frustrating when a team can lose their starting All Pro, sure fire HoF caliber QB, and the coaching staff inserts a QB and gets the team ready to win their opener against a darn good playoff team from the previous year. I know it's only one game so far this year and I'm not all out advocating MM to be fired. I just wanted to see if anyone else had any concerns and if they were seeing the same things as me.

Back