Rodgers Prime time woes

Guess what ? Your all missing the obvious. Your dear number 12 is getting a bit old. GB fans were spoiled by a man named Brett Favre who played extremely well in his 30's but boy's and girl's that the exception not the rule.

His passing skills were off last yr... high throws.. under throws. Holding the ball. All the "he has confidence issues" are nice fairy tales but QB/ players skills start eroding around 30 and up in most cases sometimes sooner. While it's rather convenient to push all this on MM and play calling that's just not the case.

Let's also add in an OL that has had good yrs and just bloody awful years... WR that played lights out and like last yr some that plain sucked.

Bottom line answer Bud...

It's a combination of the following :

A QB who's 32 and aging
An OL that's been hot/cold or just sucked
Inconsistent WR play
A sometimes there or not run game ( see starting RB who kept Burger King in business last yr)
A GM who drafts 6/7 rd and UDFA depth because he loves the underdog.
A HC whom has been preoccupied with life since the Hawks game and losing his brother.. has all the signs of a guy burning out.

Mix it all together you get what you see. Put the pitch forks down. Grab the bourbon and let's see what this lot of green and gold misfits can do in 2016/17.

sb(tc(br)

Good breakdown Mark. That's a pretty good in depth look at the issues.

I think MM does a pretty good job with overall offensive game planning. Where I think he struggles is adjusting in game when teams throw a monkey wrench in his plans. Now some of the in game calls are a little tricky to pin responsibly completely on him since rodgers has a ton of freedom to audible.

My biggest complaint with the play calling is the handful of plays like the slow developing outside runs to lacy or that goddamn TE screen to richard rodgers that he seems to fall in love with even though they never seem to **** work.

Rodgers seems to be getting greedy the last 2 years. He will look for the big play more then take the check down or throw away. My big issue really is his run up the middle instead of throwing it away is going to lead to a 255 LB hurting him badly and cutting his career short. Throw the damn ball away Aaron.

32 is old for a QB who has only started 8 years in the NFL? Man, a guy has one "down year" where he only threw 31 TDs and 8 INTs and he's almost past his prime? wondering(

I don't think there's any question that Rodgers is one of the best QBs in the league. That's not the issue. He can still be good, but not as good as he was a couple of years ago, when his arm was more elastic, and his legs were better. Everyone starts to lose a certain amount of their ability as the years take their toll.

The question you have to ask yourselves is "How many years do we have left to win a championship with Rodgers?"

That's what we're dealing with, because beyond that, we have no idea what's going to happen.

I honestly see Matthews, Nelson, and Rodgers, all kind of riding off into the sunset at the same time, and there's nobody on the roster now that I can see who will step up in the next 4 to 5 years to replace them.

It might have just been his footwork and some other uncontrollables....this article might give a little insight. The link to the article also provides the original source link.

LINK

Rodgers comment about footwork is true. But, what he didn't say is that his legs aren't what they were, and that has a direct affect on his footwork.

Another interesting statement was repetition. Something many of us talked about before the season. We didn't feel he got enough game time work to be prepared for the first game. He pretty much confirmed what we said with that statement.

You can also read a little bit of a rub between Rodgers and guys on the team. His being a perfectionist can easily put a guy in a position where he won't trust him to make plays. A couple of drops and you end up way down on the pecking order.

All these issues with footwork fall back on the coaches. They have to work with Rodgers to get it right. It's what they did before he took the field to replace Favre. Now they have to work with him to maintain.

Great points TW. Sometimes the great ones, as they age, have to realize they aren't spring chickens and even though they are elite athletes, they may have to modify and adapt as they age. Sort of like you and I have in order to maintain our greatness as we've aged. rofl(

Reactions: TW
thumbsup

You know me way too well! Have we met? LOL

I don't know if I want MM fired, but changes have to be made. He has shown he will be down to try new things, but maybe his game planning is not one of them. I don't know. I agree with everything people are saying in this thread. I got really excited with Cook. I mean I feel we lost a lot when we lost Finley. It's still early so hopefully as the season goes on we will see him start to stretch the field and open the middle up for guys.

Back