Post Game Giants Defeat Packers in London 27-22

Look at it another way: ask yourself, what were the reasons Pettine was fired? Have those issues been addressed/changed under Joe Barry?
Pettine agreed to stay and help Matt thru his first couple years. Also, remember that Conference Championship?

Exactly. You're singing to the choir. IMO, no. In this day and age, and Pettine was the same philosophically, Barry takes the same tact about defending pass first. Limiting chunk plays, keeping the game in front of them, etc. The problem is, it seems the defense is giving up chunk plays and they can't seem to get off the field. Again, I would have to look at the stats but it seems that 2nd and 3rd and longs are getting converted regularly. It's one thing when a 3 and 13 and a guy gets a quick hitch, jukes his defender and scampers 13 but these WR's are catching it at the 13 yard mark with the defender still 2 yards off. This defense is lackluster and plays soft. To it's detriment.
Defense is much better with a lead. Maybe someday we'll sustain one of those, like we did the last two years or so.

It’s a major black eye for ML that canning his hand picked DC after two years is even a question, that is all on him. Barry was his pick. He probably could’ve gotten better results with this group if he just promoted Jerry Gray.
Yes and No, actually Jimmy L was his pick...it dragged on and he settled on Barry because it was late. Jerry Gray plays a 40 front and they didn't want to retool the whole defense to fit it.

Defense is much better with a lead. Maybe someday we'll sustain one of those, like we did the last two years or so.
They play the same way with or without a lead. It doesn't matter to them. No urgency. They stay the course no matter what. Look at some of the comments by Slaton. I think he said they were practicing one way for the Giants O, and then when game hit, they were seeing things they hadn't seen in practice and coaching didn't want to adjust in game. That's unacceptable. Winning or losing, this defense stays the course.

Fine, but ML had his list of candidates. He didn't get his first choice but he got his second. People like Matt so there is a tendency I think the absolve him from blame and put it on Barry or Rodgers but I'm starting to have some questions about what his ceiling is as a HC.

Fine, but ML had his list of candidates. He didn't get his first choice but he got his second. People like Matt so there is a tendency I think the absolve him from blame and put it on Barry or Rodgers but I'm starting to have some questions about what his ceiling is as a HC.
13-3....13-3.....13-3 39- 9 over 3 years. You can bitch and moan if you want but guys with that win % don't grow on trees.

The problem is everyone believes because AR is the QB it should mean Super bowl.... the last one was 11 years ago. Might be time to temper our expectations a little.

Two things need to be corrected immediately, one on offense, the other on defense.
  1. I believe there is a serious leadership tug-of-war going on within the Packers especially on offense. Second half, the Giants played more cover-1, just daring the Packers to pass. So Rodgers did, going 0 for 6 on deep shots. Stupid, especially considering that Jones and Dillon had just 19 combined carries (averaging a respectable 5.1 yards per carry) to Rodger's 39 pass attempts! Result: Green Bay scoring no second half points. A real head-scratcher.
  2. Still miscommunication issues on defense. Jones was too effective at picking apart our secondary; Again, Stokes looked confused on who to cover; Savage missing tackles; Douglas stupid penalties at the worst times; no interceptions or forced fumbles; on and on... They just looked "confused" for lack of a better word - like they're lacking leadership to rally/organize them together.
The common factor to me is lack of effective Leadership. I do believe the talent is there. It's just too undisciplined and sloppy, and that indicates a leadership issue to me.

Last edited:
13-3....13-3.....13-3 39- 9 over 3 years. You can bitch and moan if you want but guys with that win % don't grow on trees.

The problem is everyone believes because AR is the QB it should mean Super bowl.... the last one was 11 years ago. Might be time to temper our expectations a little.
This post is a great example of people being very touchy about ML. He has proven himself as a coach, no question. Murphy saddled him with Mike Pettine as DC. ML used his juice to get Pettine let go in order to bring in his own guy. His guy wound up being Joe Barry, whose personality and system act as a sedative on his players. ML has also been the HC of one of the worst ST teams in the league. He gets more leeway from me there because he doesn’t control coaches salaries or roster moves, but he controls how practice is run and how much time and effort is devoted to that aspect of the game. He is not a bystander and he’s not a victim. He’s made choices that both helped them win 13+ games in each regular season, and also got them ass kickings in the playoffs. I don’t think it should be controversial to suggest that the HC is responsible for the failings of his team.

This post is a great example of people being very touchy about ML. He has proven himself as a coach, no question. Murphy saddled him with Mike Pettine as DC. ML used his juice to get Pettine let go in order to bring in his own guy. His guy wound up being Joe Barry, whose personality and system act as a sedative on his players. ML has also been the HC of one of the worst ST teams in the league. He gets more leeway from me there because he doesn’t control coaches salaries or roster moves, but he controls how practice is run and how much time and effort is devoted to that aspect of the game. He is not a bystander and he’s not a victim. He’s made choices that both helped them win 13+ games in each regular season, and also got them ass kickings in the playoffs. I don’t think it should be controversial to suggest that the HC is responsible for the failings of his team.
In fairness, Packers front office passed over ST coaches selected by Matt, twice iirc.

The problem on offense is Aaron. The problem on defense appears to be Barry, but bear in mind, this defense last year was the most reliable defense since Fritz Shermer.

Back