Packers 2024-25 Season Thread

What I am I missing that says they are in good cap shape RP?

Well, to start with I didn't say they were in good cap shape. "They’re not in bad shape cap wise, plenty of moves to make to get where they need to be." Ken's chart gives the current view where no moves have been made. We know that moves will be made, right? I thought it went without saying but maybe it doesn't! Two things are damn near 100% certain and the third is almost there - DB will be released, Campbell will be released, Jones will either be released or take a pay cut.

Per OTC, making those three fairly obvious moves - straight pre-June 1 cuts - gets them from $2m in cap space to $30m in space. Figure whatever Ken is counting on for draft picks and whatnot, $18m for all that? Subtract that but still gives them $12m in space to sign whoever they can and carry the rest into the season. They can save even more space by cutting Campbell post-June 1. I believe they can save a little more by Jones taking a cut (will add a bit to future years but modest). Complications of any Bakhtiari injury settlements aside, those are three roster moves that I think are pretty straightforward that give them some flexibility. Hence, not in bad shape.

And there are other moves to make as well - Love is very likely going to get extended. That has huge repercussions on future years but any deal will most likely save cap space in 2024. What do they want to do with Preston Smith now? I don't know, probably keep him, but that's another possible cut.

Second part of what I said: "Question is one of prudence - do they want to be a little more aggressive this year and fast forward the teams development at the cost of future cap maneuverability, or do they want to take another TT year, let the cap heal and continue to draft and develop with another 11 picks?" The three moves above are just releases or pay cuts. If they want even more room they can restructure Jaire, or Clark, or both. That's the question of prudence - do they want to open up a bunch of room now to try to go after some bigger FA and kick the can with those salaries, or not? I don't know what they want to do or will do. But those are options that exist for them. If they want/need cap space they have means of generating it. Doesn't mean it's smart or wise but we also can't pretend those options don't exist.

So for those reasons, yes I stand by saying that they're not in bad shape, and there are moves they can make to get themselves the space they need. You gave me Ken Ingalls, I'll give him right back to you:

"They were always in a position to go after anyone they really wanted to." Don't like it? Take it up with Ken.

Personally I would NOT start restructuring guys. I would take the lump on the DB dead cap, free up space for your picks, keep an eye on the mid-lower tier FA market and gear up for next off-season. That's a TT-style offseason, I think it would be a smart play for the long term but who knows what they're thinking/feeling right now.

"They were always in a position to go after anyone they really wanted to." Don't like it? Take it up with Ken.
I never said I didn't like it. The numbers just don't match with that mindset unless they have a few restructures or other moves up their sleeve.

I never said I didn't like it. The numbers just don't match with that mindset unless they have a few restructures or other moves up their sleeve.
I guess it's a question of temperament then. Ted would look at the current situation and agree with you. Mickey Loomis would look at it and see a bonanza of money and possibilities. This current group in GB is probably somewhere in-between. I think it's just the way the league operates now.

First of all, I want to say I really liked Hafley's press conference. He seems very real and said all the right things about using players based on strengths and weaknesses. Definitely seems like an Xs and Os guy

Personally these are the moves I would make:

Bak release is a no brainer.

Jones extension or restructure is a no brainer. You can't release him. He is too valuable to this offense right now.

Campbell should be released. He is not a fit for this D, IMO. He is slowing down fast.

Preston Smith you have to keep for depth at end. And he is not costing a ton for his production.

The only FA I might look at would be Safety. Geno Stone would be great as long as he doesn't break the bank.

Then it's just drafting possibly a Safety, a CB, and a LB. If we can get a LT, OG, and a RB great but my biggest needs are S, CB, and LB.

First of all, I want to say I really liked Hafley's press conference. He seems very real and said all the right things about using players based on strengths and weaknesses. Definitely seems like an Xs and Os guy

Personally these are the moves I would make:

Bak release is a no brainer.

Jones extension or restructure is a no brainer. You can't release him. He is too valuable to this offense right now.

Campbell should be released. He is not a fit for this D, IMO. He is slowing down fast.

Preston Smith you have to keep for depth at end. And he is not costing a ton for his production.

The only FA I might look at would be Safety. Geno Stone would be great as long as he doesn't break the bank.

Then it's just drafting possibly a Safety, a CB, and a LB. If we can get a LT, OG, and a RB great but my biggest needs are S, CB, and LB.
Hafley definitely passes the first impression test. He at least has a vision and philosophy. So much of DC ability is when to call what. Defense is hard. The game is slanted towards allowing the offense to succeed. Every defense has holes. I'm just hoping they tackle well and hurry the QB up when needed more times than not. It's not about predominantly press or zone it's knowing when to use which to disrupt offensive tendencies. It's a given defenses are going to give up big plays, but can they create optimal conditions that create turnovers or snuff out the 3rd downplay because they're ready for it. A good DC is a gambler who intuits when to push his chips in.

For me, it always starts with tackling. If you can't get the defense to do that well all else is lost. You can talk scheme and energy and this and that, but the test is can you get your defense to consistently put the man with the ball on the ground around the first point of contact. Nothing frustrates an offense more than a lack of YAC. Offenses make mistakes and turn the ball over when they're frustrated and forced to try to do too much.

Hafley definitely passes the first impression test. He at least has a vision and philosophy. So much of DC ability is when to call what. Defense is hard. The game is slanted towards allowing the offense to succeed. Every defense has holes. I'm just hoping they tackle well and hurry the QB up when needed more times than not. It's not about predominantly press or zone it's knowing when to use which to disrupt offensive tendencies. It's a given defenses are going to give up big plays, but can they create optimal conditions that create turnovers or snuff out the 3rd downplay because they're ready for it. A good DC is a gambler who intuits when to push his chips in.

For me, it always starts with tackling. If you can't get the defense to do that well all else is lost. You can talk scheme and energy and this and that, but the test is can you get your defense to consistently put the man with the ball on the ground around the first point of contact. Nothing frustrates an offense more than a lack of YAC. Offenses make mistakes and turn the ball over when they're frustrated and forced to try to do too much.
MUCH more impressive then Barry was in his first presser.. Some things that I wanted that I heard...
1) TEACH - mentioned numerous times that coaching is really teaching
2) Energy from the entire staff. I always told our players that for us to be good , I couldn't be the person in the gym with the most energy at practice .... I was talking to my assistants as much as I was my players.
3) Put the players in position to do what they do best 4) Make sure that they players are physically and mentally capable of performing what you are asking.

So as of this Wednesday we are two weeks away from the new league year. We have heard zero news of what is happening with Bak. Right now GB won't have to make moves to get under the cap but they won't have any money to go and sign FA right away. Bak seems so hush hush because no one really knows if and when he would be able to pass a phsyical so GB could release him. Will it be like some rumors say he may not be able to see a football field until some time in TC and GB would have to hold onto him then? Or will both sides agree to having him released at the start of the league year with him agreeing not to file any greivence agaisnt GB so he would be free to talk with all the teams right away take any phsyicals and find the best deal he can when there would still be money to spend?

Also Aaron Jones does GB work out a reworked contract with him also before the start of the league year or does either or both sides want to see how FA is playing out for FA RB's to allow that to set the basis for a re-worked contract?

So as of this Wednesday we are two weeks away from the new league year. We have heard zero news of what is happening with Bak. Right now GB won't have to make moves to get under the cap but they won't have any money to go and sign FA right away. Bak seems so hush hush because no one really knows if and when he would be able to pass a phsyical so GB could release him. Will it be like some rumors say he may not be able to see a football field until some time in TC and GB would have to hold onto him then? Or will both sides agree to having him released at the start of the league year with him agreeing not to file any greivence agaisnt GB so he would be free to talk with all the teams right away take any phsyicals and find the best deal he can when there would still be money to spend?

Also Aaron Jones does GB work out a reworked contract with him also before the start of the league year or does either or both sides want to see how FA is playing out for FA RB's to allow that to set the basis for a re-worked contract?
I have never really known GB to do this type of thing early or publicly. Judging by Bak's actions he thinks he's staying but sh))

PS
It's the off-season.... relax and go enjoy some outside time or catch up on some old movies.

Back