Packers 2024-25 Season Thread

I thought the Packers did a great job of drafting based on need. The names may not be household names, but each of the players they've grabbed has attributes that the team needs to take a step up. The offensive line will improve, the linebacking corps will improve, and the secondary will become a lot better.

I'm looking forward to camp this fall. It should be interesting. There will be a few new names in the starting lineup, and there will be a changing of the guard in a lot of back up roles. We might even see a free agent signing of at least one player who can be an instant help as well, as some teams will try to dump salary problems. Just maybe we can snag one or two of those guys, who are looking to help someone win a ring.

The Green Bay Packers agreed to terms with eight rookie free agents. The agreements were announced Tuesday by General Manager Brian Gutekunst.
Table inside Article
No.NamePosHtWtCollegeHS Hometown
49Peter BowdenLS6-2239WisconsinSan Diego, Calif.
65James EsterDL6-3289Northern IllinoisDetroit, Mich.
44Ralen GofortLB6-1227WashingtonBellflower, Calif.
35Jarveon HowardRB5-10215Alcorn StateColumbia, Miss.
67Donovan JenningsOL6-4323South FloridaTampa, Fla.
68Trente JonesOL6-4305MichiganLoganville, Ga.
60Rodney MathewsDL6-1311OhioMemphis, Tenn.
43Messiah SwinsonTE6-7259Arizona StateBrookville, N.Y.
Bowden was at the University of Wisconsin for five years and saw action in all 39 games over the past three seasons (2021-23). In 2021, he handled the snapping for all kicks and over the past two seasons he was the long snapper for all special-teams action. Bowden was named a Patrick Mannelly Award semifinalist in 2022 and a finalist in 2023. Last season, he also helped K Nathanial Vakos earn honorable mention All-Big Ten honors.
Ester was a four-year team captain and was named team MVP twice during his time at Northern Illinois (2019-23). He played in 49 games with 43 starts, recording 121 tackles (50 solo), 20 tackles for a loss, nine sacks, two forced fumbles, a fumble recovery and an interception. In 2022, Ester second-team All-MAC honors from Pro Football Focus and Phil Steele's College Football, and was a third-team All-MAC selection by the league coaches. He followed that up by earning first-team All-MAC honors from Phil Steele's College Football and second-team honors from the league coaches in 2023.
(RAY-lun GO-forth) Goforth played in 40 games with 17 starts at the University of Southern California (2019-22) before transferring to play in 15 games for the University of Washington (2023). Last season, he registered 37 tackles (20 solo), four tackles for a loss, two passes defensed and a fumble recovery as he helped the Huskies win the Pac-12 title and make it to the national championship game.

Howard played in 26 games at Syracuse (2018-21) before finishing his career at Alcorn State (2022-23). He appeared in 22 games for the Braves, registering 2,048 yards and 19 touchdowns on 403 carries (5.1 avg.) while also hauling in 37 passes for 225 yards (6.1 avg.) and a TD. Howard earned first-team All-SWAC in each season at ASU. He was named the SWAC Newcomer of the Year in 2022 after leading the league with a career-best 1,273 rushing yards.
Jennings set a USF record with 55 career games played and made 45 career starts, tied for seventh most in school history. He earned second-team all-conference honors in 2021 when he started all 12 games at left tackle. After an injury shortened his 2022 season to four games, Jennings returned in 2023 to help lead the biggest turnaround in program history as USF went from 1-11 to 7-6 and returned to a bowl game for the first time in five years, culminating in a 45-0 defeat of Syracuse in the Boca Raton Bowl.
(TREN-tay) Jones played in 41 games with 16 starts for the Wolverines from 2020-23. He made nine starts at right tackle and seven starts in a six-offensive-linemen package. He started the final three games at right tackle this past season, helping Michgan win the national title. Jones was a contributor to a line that earned the Joe Moore Award in back-to-back seasons (2021-22). He earned Academic All-Big Ten honors four times.
Mathews played at Hutchinson Community College in 2019, where he was a team captain and earned All-Kansas Jayhawk Community College Conference honors, before playing 41 games for Ohio from 2020-23. In four seasons with the Bobcats, he registered 71 tackles (28 solo), 14.5 tackles for a loss, three sacks, two passes defensed, an interception, and a forced fumble.
Swinson spent three seasons at the University of Missouri (2019-21), appearing in 23 games, before playing two years at Arizona State (2022-23). He appeared in 24 games for the Sun Devils over the past two seasons, registering 21 receptions for 233 yards (11.1 avg.) and two touchdowns.

How much they paid Jennings I am thinking he has good shot at roster and with how bad our LS was last year Bowden has chance to win that job. Now can anyone else on this list win a job.

I wouldn't say Favre and Rodgers didn't work when they were younger. I think after they won a SB they thought they didn't have to work as hard, like many QBs. Let's hope Love wins us a title but then stays humble and continues to work hard throughout his career.
Sadly too many people treated them like they could walk on water....

Reactions: TW
Interesting that if Jones was a part of Michigan national title team that he didn’t at least get drafted in the 7th round or something. I know he wasn’t full time starter but still.

Interesting that if Jones was a part of Michigan national title team that he didn’t at least get drafted in the 7th round or something. I know he wasn’t full time starter but still.
UM had like a dozen guys drafted. Not everyone can be draftable talent. I don't think Jones even makes the team more like a developmental player.

Sometimes there are players coming out of college who didn't get on the field too much in school because their specific talents didn't exactly meet what their team needed. Yet, those particular talents might translate very well in the pro ranks.

Not specifically mentioning names, but I can remember several Badger players who didn't really seem that outstanding while at Wisconsin ending up with some pretty good NFL careers. A good example is Isaac Guerendo, picked in the 4th round in this year's draft. He was hidden behind some darned good RBs at Wisconsin, and ended up using the portal for one solid year at Louisville, where it earned him a draft spot. He has all the measurables you'd want, just didn't have the stats that were gaudy. Personally, I think he sticks for a while. He might even have a better pro career than Braelon Allen. It's hard to say.

It is interesting to note that Guerendo was picked 5 spots earlier than Allen in the draft. It might be an indication of how his talent translates to the pros.

Corey Ballentine switching to number 26. Last year wore by Darnell Savage

Michael Pratt assigned number 17 currently wore by kicker Anders Carlson

Evan Williams assigned number 33. Last year wore by Aaron Jones.

Kitan Oladapo assigned number 27. Last year wore by Patrick Taylor

Jacob Monk assigned number 6. Last year wore by James Empey.

Kelvin King assigned number 34. Last year wore by Jon Owens.

Travis Glover assigned number 79. Last year wore by Michael Jordan.

Michael Pratt assigned number 17 currently wore by kicker Anders Carlson
Hnqfb7.gif

That's kind of interesting. Either they think Pratt is a camp body, or they think Carlson needs to rent a U-Haul. Either way, it probably doesn't help either player when it comes to their comfort zone. I believe Empey's number was actually #62?

Back