Packers 2024-25 Season Thread

So anyone off this list worth signing in FA? Runyan and Dillon made the back end of the final 25 list of 100 which I agree on as none of the Packers FA's are big names or worth much. I am thinking maybe look at Xavier McKinney in FA. 24 years old in his prime as a Safety. He can be your big name FA to help shore up the S spot and then draft a guy. Bring back a guy like Owens or Savage as backup to go with Anthony Johnson who you drafted last year.

I think they'd be smart to sign a FA safety in addition to drafting at least one, maybe two. McKinney would make sense if the money is right. Geno Stone and Jordan Fuller would be fine too and might be more affordable depending on how the CAP issues shake out for the Packers.

I'd also bring back Ford and Owens (along with AJohnson Jr) for depth and special teams since they'll likely be cheap and can be cut easily if needed at the end of camp.

So anyone off this list worth signing in FA? Runyan and Dillon made the back end of the final 25 list of 100 which I agree on as none of the Packers FA's are big names or worth much. I am thinking maybe look at Xavier McKinney in FA. 24 years old in his prime as a Safety. He can be your big name FA to help shore up the S spot and then draft a guy. Bring back a guy like Owens or Savage as backup to go with Anthony Johnson who you drafted last year.

Well see McKinney may get the transition tag put on him which guarantees him at $14 million next year and allows NY to match any offer he gets. That would put him out of GB price. Might have to look at a guy like Geno Stone who has flaws but will be much cheaper to sign.

@RobDemovsky
·
4m

LaFleur said called former strength coach Chris Gizzi an "oustanding coach" but felt new leadership "could be benefical."Of Aaron Hill, who cames from the 49ers, MLF said: "I think they're doing some pretty cool things out there."

@RobDemovsky
·
10m

Matt LaFleur on new DC Jeff Hafley and his 4-3 base: “It will be a different scheme, but I think it’s one that will be easy to adjust to with the personnel that we have.”

@RobDemovsky
·
10m

MLF said he wanted to make sure “the pieces we have in house are capable of doing what he’s going to expect them to do. Anytime you have good players, they should be able to adapt.”

@RobDemovsky
·
1m

Matt LaFleur said former NFL QB Sean Mannion will be an offensive assistant working with the QBs. He said Mannion also interviewed with the Bears but he jumped on a Zoom call during the NFC title game and offered him the job."I guess we had more to offer," LaFleur said.

Is ML coaching relationship with SF like the Samon wrestling family that in some way they are all connected to each other thru blood or marriage? LOL

@TomSilverstein
·
11m

Hafley said the decision to leave Boston College was more about coming to the #Packers organization and working for Matt LaFleur than anything else. He said he also was wowed by the players that GM Brian Gutekunst has been adding. He stressed it was not an easy choice to leave BC
@TomSilverstein
·
8m

Hafley said the "vision-based" defense he'll play includes a lot of press-man coverage by the corners, but he said it won't be all they do. Said they are going to make it simple for the players so they can play fast.
@TomSilverstein
·
3m

Even though the #49ers defense isn't a a pressure scheme, Hafley said people will see some exotic looks and pressures on certain downs and distances. He worked in the Rex Ryan defense under Mike Pettine in Cleveland and learned a lot about pressure.

Press man is what I mentioned a long time ago. He would limit the zone defenses. We have CBs who are best playing man, not zone. That solves some of our defensive problems right there. There will be some happy players hitting camp, knowing they will be working more to their strengths.

I like the theoretical 4-3 vs 3-4, even though it won't be a constant. It's at least the start point, since we already have the horses who can play up or down on the outside in-house. It also will change the role of our inside linebackers. That won't hurt my feelings whatsoever.

Just an opinion, but I think we need to get one or two safeties in this draft, a corner, and a guy who can play one of the two down positions on the D-line, and that's going to make a difference. On offense, get a guy who can play tackle, hopefully either side, and an interior O-lineman. Might add a center if there's a guy out there worth grabbing at a given point.

It could be one heckuva season ahead. A year's experience under the belt of our receivers, and Love. The O-line more experienced. Major changes on defense. A new book is opening.

Back