Packers 2023-24 Season Thread

That's a good way to put it GBP. Picked him up for nothing, got some good play out of him, flipped him for a pick when his time ran its course. I understand all the reasons for not trading him and think they're valid but like you said, Gute obviously put pretty much everyone on the market and what they got offered for Rasul was the only offer worth the bite.

I've said for a while though that the D room needed to be broken up. Not just the coaches but to me the chemistry/leadership on that side is off. I've thought of Rasul as a good leader but who knows, maybe not. Or maybe he's not the right leader for this group right now. Sometimes teams respond positively to these changes and shake ups. Look at Denver this year, they got rid of their biggest name players on D and then played better over all. They may hit rock bottom but who can say, more than half the season left to play.

That's a good way to put it GBP. Picked him up for nothing, got some good play out of him, flipped him for a pick when his time ran its course. I understand all the reasons for not trading him and think they're valid but like you said, Gute obviously put pretty much everyone on the market and what they got offered for Rasul was the only offer worth the bite.

I've said for a while though that the D room needed to be broken up. Not just the coaches but to me the chemistry/leadership on that side is off. I've thought of Rasul as a good leader but who knows, maybe not. Or maybe he's not the right leader for this group right now. Sometimes teams respond positively to these changes and shake ups. Look at Denver this year, they got rid of their biggest name players on D and then played better over all. They may hit rock bottom but who can say, more than half the season left to play.
Not to mention Valentine is working out.

By trading Douglas and a 5th, for a late 3rd, the Packers got back the equivalent of an early 4th. That's a decent return for a guy you picked up off the scrap heap. I like that they added a day 2 pick; they need it, even though Rd3 has been a disaster for the Packers for a number of years. You need to go back to at least 2010 to find a solid starter from Rd3.

I was thinking about this lately on Christian Watson.

His usage this year is very different. They seem to use him mostly on the boundary now rather than getting him the ball underneath and over the middle and letting him run. Go look at his big plays in 2022 when he was healthy and you'll see him catching the ball on the run on 5-15 yard crossers. Not sure what is going on and why they seem to have him more on the outside now.

Of course, this does not excuse his crappy routes and dropped 50/50 balls.

If Gute cuts bait on Love he should not be the GM to pick another QB. He's the one who screwed Love over by not giving him anything to work with.

It's interesting that Gutey isn't certain about Love at this point, but pretty much expected, under the circumstances. If we said that Love was playing like a franchise QB, we'd be wrong. But, is that his fault? To a degree, yes. But, it's also equally the fault of penalties erasing good offensive plays, sideline clock management, play calling, a porous offensive line, missed blocking assignments, poorly run routes, and a multitude of other things I could offer and be right.

It all boils down to the fact that there probably aren't too many QBs who could do real well under these circumstances. But, also, what percentage of those out there now, can do as good, if not better?

I do believe that if the Packers decide that Love isn't the future, it will be after they see where they will finish the season. The earlier the draft pick, the better their opportunity will be to get a QB they believe could give them instant success. I don't think it's a reality, but let's face it, people who are drowning will reach out and grab anything they think will help them stay afloat. In this case, I see them possibly looking at several. Here's potential list from PFF, based on their ranking of the QBs who will probably come out. This is their ranking, not mine, so don't read into it, what I believe

• QB CALEB WILLIAMS, USC. BIG BOARD RANK: 1. ...
  • QB DRAKE MAYE, NORTH CAROLINA. BIG BOARD RANK: 3. ...
  • QB BO NIX, OREGON. BIG BOARD RANK: 20. ...
  • QB MICHAEL PENIX JR., WASHINGTON. BIG BOARD RANK: 23. ...
  • QB RILEY LEONARD, DUKE. ...
  • QB J.J. ...
  • QB SHEDEUR SANDERS, COLORADO. ...
  • QB MICHAEL PRATT, TULANE.
Here's PFF's Top 200 board. Have fun!

If Gute cuts bait on Love he should not be the GM to pick another QB. He's the one who screwed Love over by not giving him anything to work with.
Click bait headline by the hack.

His usage this year is very different. They seem to use him mostly on the boundary now rather than getting him the ball underneath and over the middle and letting him run. Go look at his big plays in 2022 when he was healthy and you'll see him catching the ball on the run on 5-15 yard crossers. Not sure what is going on and why they seem to have him more on the outside now.

He don't seem to like reaching out to grab balls on those crossing patterns where they're going to smack the bejeebers out of you. Part of that is on him, part on Love, who sometimes likes to have slight hesitation and unintentionally throws the receivers into big hits. Some of it is on Watson, being slow to make his cuts. He doesn't make the catches either way.

They were hitting him on those dagger concepts last year, I think that's what it's called. Defenses know they want to run it this year and have simply taken it away. It's not there. That first INT against the Raiders was on that concept, they were trying to hit Watson short middle while on the run and Love just didnt see the LB drop. It's also a concept where they need a run game or at least play action to help sell it, and for some reason - maybe Love isn't confident turning his back right now - ML just isn't calling a lot of play action and the actual run game is in the dumpster.

Back