Murphy says not time for a change

How many weeks did the Packers go without a RB while Ted just sat there and drooled on himself??? While I don't like the coaching staff there, I think the bigger problem is Ted.

If Murphy does nothing and sticks with the status quo, then Murphy should be shown the door as well. Fish rots from the head down. DHH(

I swear, if they just sit there and lose yet another promising exec like Eliot Wolf, while Ted keeps playing out the SNL skit, 'The Thing That Wouldn't Leave', I'm done with them! bh(

Last edited:
Part of being a good CEO is making tough decisions that may not be popular, but take the long term view of the good of the organization. And that is what Murphy needs to do right now. TT is merely running out the clock. I see no long term vision for where this football team is headed from his personnel moves and/or the draft. TT is merely going through the motions of an overpaid glorified scout. He seems to already be in semi-retirement as a scout and he seems solely focused on the draft. Speaking of the draft he is so strict at draft and develop yet he consistently has one of the youngest rosters in the league. Those two things are mutually exclusive. You can't develop if you stay young. If you stay young it means your drafts are not productive. And that alone should be enough to speed up the transition.

One thing that hurts GB is that it operates in silos. Murphy staying out of TT's way who is staying out of MMs way can be a positive. But it also means in a situation like this it covers up major deficiencies and the people in charge don't always see what is really going on. i.e. the fact that TT has not drafted well for awhile.

It's been over a full calendar year since this team showed even a hint of being what it used to be. And there are structural and organizational issues that go beyond just he roster. I'm sure there will be some window dressing changes, a few assistants here and there. I actually highly doubt Capers goes anywhere. He's MM's guy and I don't think he forces him out. It's the injuries and execution after all. The system is perfect.

Let's put it this way.
Did Shawn Payton all of a sudden get stupid or did Jason Garrett all of a sudden get brilliant?

NOLA still has a top 5 QB but the talent around him is a shell of what it was a few years ago. Dallas built itself around a great OL but how many of those were high picks? Look where they drafted Elliott

My point is we are not as talented now as we were 3-5 years ago. It's a combination of injuries, age and missing on a few picks plus lack of FA. All teams go through it at some point.

Do I think changes should be made? Yes but not for the sake of change. There needs to be a plan short term and long term how to restock depth and add a few pieces.

And no bringing in a new HC and/or GM will not get this team "fixed"

A caller had an interesting question on Wilde and Tausch a couple of weeks ago. This may be the topic for another thread, but I will put it here.

He asked the guys what 3 things would they have done differently from 2011 to now to make the Packers better/have played for another Super Bowl?

Tauscher didn't quite get the nuance of the question, and went rather broad and vague, but I want to share Jason Wilde's response, though paraphrased. He got very specific, and I really liked what he said:

Number 1: redo the 2011 and 2012 drafts, especially the first picks. The fact that there's only one guy left on the team from 2011, guys five/six years in that should really be forming the new core of certain groups, and there's nobody there. We thought at the time that there were better players that would fit better on the team than Sherrod and Perry (and in hindsight, there were plenty). And the 2011 draft took two tight ends, yet we missed on all of the good ones, who were all available yet prior to our later picks. Trading Denver picks and having them take Julius Thomas with our 4th rounder, for example.

Number 2: keep Charles Woodson. Yes, he was a little bit older, but he played very well back in Oakland, and would you tell me that he was worse than what we had in 2013, 14, and 15? Remember, in 2013 our safeties recorded 0-zero turnovers. That we lost Nick Collins and Woodson and didn't get anybody to replace either of them until the 2014 draft doesn't speak very well of Ted, again. And by keeping Woodson, the defense, at least, has that vocal/spiritual leader, plus plenty of veteran savvy on the back end.

Number 3: Don't cut Ryan Taylor prior to the 2014 season, and here's why. Ryan Taylor had no impact on the offense, but was a good guy on special teams. If we keep Taylor, he's out there on the onside kick in Seattle, not Bostick. And Ryan Taylor is the guy who isn't going to go for the ball, he's going to go block his guy and let Jordy get the ball. And we go to the super bowl. Also-if Charles Woodson is still on the team in 2014, he's not telling Burnett to slide down in the middle of the field with an open route to the sideline and another 15-20 yards clear.

So, for the most part, almost every single one of these comes back to Ted, probably. I'm still not sure who's actually in charge of the roster.

Interesting perspectives, and a lot of thought went into it. He obviously has done his homework. I can't say he's 100% right, but I can say that he has pinpointed some things that could have made a huge difference through the last few seasons.

Mike Silver, of NFL Network has a new fan. He said today that the problem is Ted and not as much the players or coaches. Thoroughly enjoyed his report. About time Ted got his toes put to the fire! Silver said his lackadaisical approach has really hurt the team. No kidding!! CLP)

As much as I enjoy listing deficiencies, numbers 2 and 3 seem to be the ultimate in unsupported assumptions, 20/20 hindsight, and selective memory. I don't remember the contract numbers for Woodson, but one number was his age, and I recall very little angst over letting him go, albeit with a hearty Thank-you - much like if Peppers isn't here in 2017.. And, to look back at the Seattle debacle and decide that another borderline player would have saved the day (who knows if he'd have even been in the right position to make the block) seems like the ultimate lookback. The same as decided what would have gone through Woodson's mind on the interception - it's not like the guy that did call for the lie-down was an excited rookie. This report just upsets me because there are plenty of 'real' problems at which to point, ala #1 - there's no need to go to extremes.

I agree Half Empty. It's an interesting perspective, but in all honesty, it's nothing more than conjecture based on his personal view of how things transpired over the course of years. It's also strictly a hind sighted view, because at the time, not too many people would have disagreed with the moves that were made, because they were right, at the time they were made. Looking back and judging is pretty much unrealistic.

I will say I didn't want to see Woodson go at the time. I thought his influence was still important, and his play wasn't diminished to a point where he wasn't effective. I'm saying the same thing now about Peppers. He's absolutely not responsible for the problems on the field, or sideline. He's a steady influence, and when he's on the field, they need to put one or two bodies on him to make sure he doesn't make a play. Despite that fact, he still makes those plays. With his limited 28-30 plays a game, he could extend a couple more years, and we need him at this point. We have nobody who can step in.

CC- thanks for posting that.
Interesting, but who couldn't do a better job with the advantage of hindsight?
Making a point of keeping Ryan Taylor for the ONE play? C'mon, that is a bit absurd. Plus, are you really going to blame TT or MM for Bostick's brain fart? You know I like to ride MM, but even he's innocent on that play. He had issues in that game but not that play. Plus, TT put together that team. That team would have been in the Super Bowl if any number of about 5 key plays would've been made.

Those two draft years? Yes, would love to have them back, but you can look at ANY team in the NFL and find years they totally 'shit the bed'. TT is fine on his draft record, but he fails at roster building overall because of his FA attitude.

As far as the debacle in Seattle, that still came down to coaching. Period. McCarthy was playing not to lose from about the 2nd quarter on. Two FG's from the half yard line with a battering ram like Lacy? I told my wife in the 2nd quarter, 'They're gonna lose. I know McCarthy and I can already see what he's doing! " It wouldn't be quite so bad if the jughead learned from it. When does he EVER put opponents away?? sh))

So he cuts Bostick as a means to pointing the finger at him for the loss. It was a bad play on Bostick's part. But that game should have been put away LONG before that play!

Back