McCarthy to Lacy: Get your fat butt in shape or you won't play

I'm 6'4", and my normal weight is mid 220s to 230. It's not fat; at that weight, I fit very comfortably into pants with a 36-inch waist. A couple of times when I was really busy with my wife's medical issues, I've let myself go; had to skip exercising, got sloppy with my food choices, etc. Not proud of it, but it is what it is.

Anyway, the last time this happened, I gained 20 pounds - and my god, I felt grotesquely obese. That was only 20 pounds on a 6'4" frame; this guy is 30+ pounds overweight on a 5'11" frame? How does he even fit into his uniform, much less play the game? I'm not insulting the guy, I'm genuinely puzzled how a RB who is 30 pounds overweight can even get past the line of scrimmage without being pulled down from behind. What is he thinking?

I'm 6'4", and my normal weight is mid 220s to 230. It's not fat; at that weight, I fit very comfortably into pants with a 36-inch waist. A couple of times when I was really busy with my wife's medical issues, I've let myself go; had to skip exercising, got sloppy with my food choices, etc. Not proud of it, but it is what it is.

Anyway, the last time this happened, I gained 20 pounds - and my god, I felt grotesquely obese. That was only 20 pounds on a 6'4" frame; this guy is 30+ pounds overweight on a 5'11" frame? How does he even fit into his uniform, much less play the game? I'm not insulting the guy, I'm genuinely puzzled how a RB who is 30 pounds overweight can even get past the line of scrimmage without being pulled down from behind. What is he thinking?
FT, when Lacy made that long run against Arizona in the playoffs, many said it looked as if he was looking for a place to fall down.
If he loses the 30 pounds that the Coach has asked him to, he'll show huge improvements. He'll get quicker, feel more athletic and psychologically I'd bet that he'll have an edge. Now if he keeps that weight on he'll be an ebarassment to both the team and himself.
But you're absolutely right, there's no way a Running Back of that height should be carrying that much weight.

Note here folks... We Don't know that Lacy was 30 lbs over we just know "reportedly " they want him down 30 lbs. FYI that "slim" down stuff has backfired a time or 2 with players. Taking a wait and see approach on this whole deal. Just me

Note here folks... We Don't know that Lacy was 30 lbs over we just know "reportedly " they want him down 30 lbs. FYI that "slim" down stuff has backfired a time or 2 with players. Taking a wait and see approach on this whole deal. Just me

At this point i'm gonna guess it's more conditioning than weight. You can be a big guy and still run well. Remember Jerome Bettis? That guy wasn't low body fat and he ran well..

Maybe Lacy was who Arod was talking about when he said guys need to lay off the video games and concentrate on work. Even an extra 10 pounds on a guy who isn't match fit can have a huge difference. Lacy may have tried to bulk up via a dirty bulk so added both muscle and fat. That could affect his conditioning too.

If he sticks to a proper conditioning program (diet too) the weight thing will take care of itself. But merely losing weight isn't a good tactic.

I notice alot of people are concerned he's unmotivated and won't make it to where they want him, etc.

My concern is the opposite. My concern is he'll come to camp with a P90X body and have a great year. Then he'll get a HUGE contact and afterwards, start dating Mayor McCheese's daughter again. Happens WAY too often in the world of sports.

I notice alot of people are concerned he's unmotivated and won't make it to where they want him, etc.

My concern is the opposite. My concern is he'll come to camp with a P90X body and have a great year. Then he'll get a HUGE contact and afterwards, start dating Mayor McCheese's daughter again. Happens WAY too often in the world of sports.

That's why you put a weight clause in his contract if you would re-sign him.

But either way I think next year is his last in GB. He either shows up still fat plays bad and GB does not resign him or he plays so well he gets a big deal from another team and GB elects not to match it. Also I question if he is even happy in GB or wants to go to a bigger warm weather city to play.

Unless you are an elite running back in this league (AP as an example) you have minimal value on the open market. There is some wear and tear on him already. Lacy is not an elite back He's a more of a power back and is replaceable in this system. I'm not losing sleep over this situation

Lacy has some value in GB if he's in shape. The offense was held back by lack of running threat before he showed up. However if he doesn't care enough to show up in shape, or work his butt off to get in shape during the season not sure he's worth big $$.

Only thing that makes me nervous is that Lacy is the only RB TT has actually hit on that produced for very long. He leaves and I'm not confident TT finds a decent replacement.

Lacy has some value in GB if he's in shape. The offense was held back by lack of running threat before he showed up. However if he doesn't care enough to show up in shape, or work his butt off to get in shape during the season not sure he's worth big $$.

Only thing that makes me nervous is that Lacy is the only RB TT has actually hit on that produced for very long. He leaves and I'm not confident TT finds a decent replacement.

Considering where we drafted Starks I'd say Ted hit on that guy too. We'll probably need to draft another one on the second day or find an UDFA seeing James will be 30 this month.

Back