McCarthy to Lacy: Get your fat butt in shape or you won't play

Considering where we drafted Starks I'd say Ted hit on that guy too. We'll probably need to draft another one on the second day or find an UDFA seeing James will be 30 this month.

Starks has low mileage on him for a 30 year old can see him back for another year.

Unless you are an elite running back in this league (AP as an example) you have minimal value on the open market. There is some wear and tear on him already. Lacy is not an elite back He's a more of a power back and is replaceable in this system. I'm not losing sleep over this situation
You're not losing sleep over an overweight, under-motivated, asthmatic RB who plays in sub zero temps? You sir, have nerves of steel. And you're now my hero! :D

In all seriousness, I don't think warmer weather is going to help him. He looked awfully asthmatic during that run in Phoenix. I think his main problem is conditioning. Period. And I really, really like the kid. Hope he gets together.

Considering where we drafted Starks I'd say Ted hit on that guy too. We'll probably need to draft another one on the second day or find an UDFA seeing James will be 30 this month.

Starks was a bust as a starter, which is what TT signed him for. As a backup change of pace guy he has been gold..

Starks was a bust as a starter, which is what TT signed him for. As a backup change of pace guy he has been gold..

Starks was a 7th round pick. I don't think TT ever saw him as more then a 3rd down back.

I hope people aren't forgetting how badly our offense suffered for so many years before we got Lacy, and how much it opened up the field for Rodgers when we finally had a legitimate ground-pounder capable of punching out 4, 5, or 6 or 7 yards from scrimmage on any given snap. Teams couldn't get away with dropping 8 or 9 guys into coverage anymore with him lined up back there. I'm pretty disappointed in the guy too, but I'm not so quick to toss him his hat and bid him adios. I'd rather he got his ass in shape, got his head back in the game, and gets back to what he was capable of being 2 or 3 years ago.

Can we replace him in the draft? Sure, we can probably find another Lacy in the 2nd or 3rd round. But who do we pass on to replace him? What hole that needs to get filled goes without being filled because we had to draft a running back instead? We have too many needs in the draft to waste a pick on a position we already have covered, if Lacy just gets his ass in shape.

Frozen, I think your points are valid...and I agree. It would have saved a lot of heartache and stress if Eddie had just kept himself in shape. However, I do think the Packers would have had to draft a change-of-pace back for depth anyway. It would be nice to have a ripped Lacy plus that extra back in place. I like Starks...but I hate the fumbling. I breath a sigh of relief every time he carries and holds on to the ball.

So I see Cobb on Radio Row yesterday asked about Lacy and he even said that he thinks Lacy could be in better shape and now coaches called him out and see what will happen.

Back