Is The Packers OL Better?

It's very possible this will be what happens. It points out the problem with large contracts.
I think it was danno who pointed out that Bakhtiari played all of 2-3 games on that monster contract before getting hurt. No one ever talks about it or frames it that way, but it's turning into an albatross

What more of an issue is structure. He’s got some roster bonus money due also. No void years so they did not kick the can down the road
Not referring just to Bak’s contract.
More of a general statement regarding players holding out for guaranteed money that is moving towards 100% of contract.

I was in favor of extending Bak back in 2020, but I’m developing a case of buyers remorse as players could be getting extensions they will never earn, and it destroys teams salary cap for years.

Just blue sky thinking on my part

More of a general statement regarding players holding out for guaranteed money that is moving towards 100% of contract.

I was in favor of extending Bak back in 2020, but I’m developing a case of buyers remorse as players could be getting extensions they will never earn, and it destroys teams salary cap for years.

It's a real problem right now. I can understand players wanting guarantees. It's a rough sport, and one play can end a career. Then there's after-effect, from all the hits, which haunts them for life, as their health evaporates.

On the other side of the coin is management, that's getting caught with guaranteed contracts for players that can no longer help them maintain team integrity on the field. Owners don't care about excuses, they just want results, and good leadership can be canned just because of unfortunate happenings.

I wonder where things will go with the next union agreement. It could be a dog fight.

It's a real problem right now. I can understand players wanting guarantees. It's a rough sport, and one play can end a career. Then there's after-effect, from all the hits, which haunts them for life, as their health evaporates.

On the other side of the coin is management, that's getting caught with guaranteed contracts for players that can no longer help them maintain team integrity on the field. Owners don't care about excuses, they just want results, and good leadership can be canned just because of unfortunate happenings.

I wonder where things will go with the next union agreement. It could be a dog fight.
Owners don’t really care to be candid. They get a shared revenue check for just shy of $400m each year which in reality funds player salaries. I believe the cap this year was $208m. Using Bak as an example he has roster bonuses guarantees due so that’s more like a “team option”. Dead cap is strictly an accounting function

Ownerships hard decision is more cash flow which was one reason GB did not make a run at Mack after they paid out some hefty signing bonus money. And remember SB money payouts can be negotiated to its not always one lump sum. The Rodgers deal has some payment structure.

Bak has not really played extended football for a year and a half. And it will be a minimum of 1 year and 8 months or even 1 year and 10 months. It takes a year of playing full time to get back up to speed sometimes. It could be 2023 before he gets back to 100% and then his whole contract has been wasted, IMO.
He's not ready to be 100% after a year he should be cut.

This I think is main reason Lamar Jackson has not signed. I think he wants a deal like Watson got but Ravens don't want to give that out to a guy who's game is in his legs. He losses his legs that becomes a bad contract.

In my world, which is usually hallucinogenic and way off based, but there needs to be a reset. Not sure if it ever happens but it'll take a few teams, fanbases etc., to turn away from this and let some of these players walk to other franchises in hopes those franchises strap themselves in the future. It may be a revolving door where some teams will dabble in it every 4 years after they clean up the wreckage but at some point, a reckoning will happen. In my limited thinking, I just can't see how teams will continue to afford those types of guaranteed contracts. You, FlaPack, Mark and others can speak with more knowledge on the cap, ramifications etc., so it'll be interesting to see what everyone thinks as far as if this is sustainable long term for most teams.

Last edited:
In my world, which is usually hallucinogenic and way off based, but there needs to be a reset. Not sure if it ever happens but it'll take a few teams, fanbases etc., to turn away from this and let some of these players walk to other franchises in hopes those franchises strap themselves in the future. It may be a revolving door where some teams will dabble in it every 4 years after they clean up the wreckage but at some point, a reckoning will happen. In my limited thinking, I just can't see how teams will continue to afford those types of guaranteed contracts. You, FlaPack, Mark and others can speak with more knowledge on the cap, ramifications etc., so it'll be interesting to see what everyone thinks as far as if this is sustainable long term for most teams.
I can see Bak 2 more seasons he is released after Rodgers leaves. GB then goes into the rebuild as they will be needing to make a lot of cuts to get under the cap.

Back