BYU football deal could test limits of new NIL system

So you don't think a highly touted Freshman QB coming into Bama, LSU, OSU would be worth $333K a year for market branding figuring he would be there 3 years and starts day 1?
No. Have the injury risk along with how they perform. I would fire the CMO if he made that deal. You don’t cut deals like that based on assumptions

So you don't think a highly touted Freshman QB coming into Bama, LSU, OSU would be worth $333K a year for market branding figuring he would be there 3 years and starts day 1?
Right now the only way we even get close to seeing 6 figures is co-licensing and more importantly group licensing and nobody seems to have the appetite to make that broad use thing. Some schools are doing small deals involving group licensing but its not something wide spread

Right now the only way we even get close to seeing 6 figures is co-licensing and more importantly group licensing and nobody seems to have the appetite to make that broad use thing. Some schools are doing small deals involving group licensing but its not something wide spread
Yet.

I think schools / conferences would love to hand group licensing over to CLC who has done it for years but with groups like Learfield now in the same space it’s not as uniform as it was say 10 years ago. And I don’t think some schools want to add resources to make sure it’s in compliance. Another thing the NCAA dropped the ball on

Reactions: TW
I wonder how players will be paid when video games come into play and have to pay to use name and likeness in games. Will all players get paid or will the non-stars still just be a nameless faceless player so they won't get paid.

I wonder how players will be paid when video games come into play and have to pay to use name and likeness in games. Will all players get paid or will the non-stars still just be a nameless faceless player so they won't get paid.
Only way is group licensing

How would group licensing work? Any player, whose name was added to a game, would automatically be eligible for rights based on his name. That would seem to apply even after he left college, unless he signed an agreement that said differently.

Now, what do you do with a kid who says, "Nah! I don't want them using my name!", or another who says; "They can use my name, but I want royalties on it even after I leave the program."

Are we heading for a college football player union here?

How would group licensing work? Any player, whose name was added to a game, would automatically be eligible for rights based on his name. That would seem to apply even after he left college, unless he signed an agreement that said differently.

Now, what do you do with a kid who says, "Nah! I don't want them using my name!", or another who says; "They can use my name, but I want royalties on it even after I leave the program."

Basically every player gets a piece of pie. It also involves marks and rights for each school. The Union thing was tried once and failed miserably so doubtful that’s ever happening.

there will be no royalty in perpetuity since the player will no longer be on scholarship and in the program. “Eligibility” is exhausted.

Just think of the old NCAA game. No name on back just QB1 or RB 1. Now it would be Mertz #5 who had the same number as Bollinger. And a new version of the game will be released each year

Last edited:

JT Daniels has signed a trading card deal that could net him seven figures. Note “could” being the key word

The Georgia QB will earn $100 per signature, plus 50% royalties on signed and unsigned cards.

He plans to share half of his earnings with his UGA teammates. Now what are the tax implications?

Back