2024 Draft Thread

Graham Barton at #41 would be a real catch, in my opinion. This guy is going to be someone's left tackle for a decade, and a regular member of the All Pro selections, after one or two years of service.
If that's the evaluation of Barton then you take him at 25. Don't overthink it, don't fuss around.

Personally I'm looking at some of the agility stuff for him today. He's right in GB's wheelhouse with height/weight. They generally don't draft guys over 6'6 or over 320. Arms a fraction under their threshold but I think GB tends to focus on agility over arm length. ~4.7 is the magic number in the shuttle. That number and under got them Zach Tom and Elton Jenkins and Bulaga and Bakhtiari and Sitton. To be fair, it also got them Spriggs and Josh Myers. Sean Rhyan was over, went against type, and you can see his limitations.

If that's the evaluation of Barton then you take him at 25. Don't overthink it, don't fuss around.

Personally I'm looking at some of the agility stuff for him today. He's right in GB's wheelhouse with height/weight. They generally don't draft guys over 6'6 or over 320. Arms a fraction under their threshold but I think GB tends to focus on agility over arm length. ~4.7 is the magic number in the shuttle. That number and under got them Zach Tom and Elton Jenkins and Bulaga and Bakhtiari and Sitton. To be fair, it also got them Spriggs and Josh Myers. Sean Rhyan was over, went against type, and you can see his limitations.
Like I said, if he's there at #41, you jump for joy and snap him up like a kid does a Hershey bar. You don't even have to think about it. If you watch the film on him, you'll see he's explosive on his blocks. That goes a long way towards dominating the guy across from you. When you hit him hard, on every play, he starts to think more about the hit coming than he does about his focus. Let's face it. In the trenches, it's an intimidation game, plain and simple. You're need to be the bully. Barton looks like that's his way of doing business.

When I played HS ball, we had this one kid who weighed about 165#. He played offensive tackle for us, and constantly went against guys who outweighed him by 40#. They'd just laugh the first time they lined up across from him. Then he'd lay leather on them, play after play, before you knew it, you could run through the holes he created, or behind him, because defenders were getting pummeled by his explosive blocking. He made you pay for even challenging him in practice. Loved Cookie and his style of play. When I coached, I emphasized his style with all the kids, because I knew what it did to the opposition.

I could see Barton at 25. If GB lets Bak, Runyan, and Newsome go you are really short at OL and going to likely need to draft 2 or 3 and sign at least one OL in FA to just help with depth.

Like I said, if he's there at #41, you jump for joy and snap him up like a kid does a Hershey bar. You don't even have to think about it. If you watch the film on him, you'll see he's explosive on his blocks. That goes a long way towards dominating the guy across from you. When you hit him hard, on every play, he starts to think more about the hit coming than he does about his focus. Let's face it. In the trenches, it's an intimidation game, plain and simple. You're need to be the bully. Barton looks like that's his way of doing business.

When I played HS ball, we had this one kid who weighed about 165#. He played offensive tackle for us, and constantly went against guys who outweighed him by 40#. They'd just laugh the first time they lined up across from him. Then he'd lay leather on them, play after play, before you knew it, you could run through the holes he created, or behind him, because defenders were getting pummeled by his explosive blocking. He made you pay for even challenging him in practice. Loved Cookie and his style of play. When I coached, I emphasized his style with all the kids, because I knew what it did to the opposition.
Again I ask, if that's your eval, why not 25?

Again I ask, if that's your eval, why not 25?
Because I feel our need at Safety is more important than left tackle. I still believe Kinchens will be our first pick, if he's on the board. If he's gone, Barton could well be the guy we'd grab at 25. Just my opinion. Based on most needed help.

Because I feel our need at Safety is more important than left tackle. I still believe Kinchens will be our first pick, if he's on the board. If he's gone, Barton could well be the guy we'd grab at 25. Just my opinion. Based on most needed help.
I don't think Kinchens is off their board after the bad workout, I do think they're going to go back and re-watch and see what the heck happened there and see if it shows on film. Just because he's the best S doesn't mean they have a Rd 1 grade on him. I also think they're going to do something in FA at S and then see how the board shakes out.

Depending on who you ask, Barton may not even be there at 25. Teams like the Steelers, Cowboys could be in on him.

I dunno. I know they need S help but I think it would be nuts to pass on one of these really good OL just because of need.

I don't think Kinchens is off their board after the bad workout, I do think they're going to go back and re-watch and see what the heck happened there and see if it shows on film. Just because he's the best S doesn't mean they have a Rd 1 grade on him. I also think they're going to do something in FA at S and then see how the board shakes out.

Depending on who you ask, Barton may not even be there at 25. Teams like the Steelers, Cowboys could be in on him.

I dunno. I know they need S help but I think it would be nuts to pass on one of these really good OL just because of need.
I think the same. Unless Kinchens has a killer pro day I think he will be there at 41 to draft. Kinchens might be a guy who rookie year can't start but has to fill that number 3 safety role as he learns and gets the speed of the game.

Can't make that defense work without 2 starting S that fit...if they try and ignore it then the staff and GM are fully culpable and at this point they don't have either guy on the roster. FA guys are just kind meh at the position unless you got $$$..we don't.

Priority one has to be safety, however, to your point, you wouldn't not take a corner or OT that was say a top 10 on your board either but otherwise, I can't imagine not taking the best S at #25 just my tc(

My assessment of Kinchens at 25 and Barton at #41 was based around Mark's draft that I referred to. How it would be a great pair of picks. I understand both could be gone. Anyone could be gone. I'm just saying that "if" Barton fell that far, and "if" we could get Kinchens at #25, it would be a darned good haul on day one.

That said, I'd be looking to augment the second safety position as soon as another guy came open that had starter potential. Maybe as soon as our 2nd of two second round picks. I pointed out Brooks as being a potential steal or bust, because I've watched him play, and I've also had a chance to watch him in the past at practices. He works on his cuts, but they are marginal at best. A friend, sitting next to me commented that at times his cuts look like someone running on ice in street shoes and trying to make a 90 degree turn at full speed. You know how that works out.

No guarantees that anyone will be available when the Packers make their picks. It's all a crap shoot, because everyone plays it so close to the vest. Even the Bears, with their wealth of picks is playing it close. Of course, in their case, I don't think they've made up their minds yet if Fields is traded and make that #1 pick, or keep Fields and trade the pick. If they trade the pick, I predict it's going to be like breaking a mirror for them. Seven more years of bad luck.

I think the same. Unless Kinchens has a killer pro day I think he will be there at 41 to draft.
i'm not picking on you, gbp, but which is it? is the combine totally meaningless except for player interviews and medicals, or did kinchen's horrible performance at the combine push him down teams' draft boards?

Back