2 or 3 offseason moves could give.....

What I wish for is a Lombardi. If what you suggest had been tried in 2011, who's to say something wonderful wouldn't have happened? Regardless, the last five years have produced exactly the same number of Lombardis. For those who are satisfied with anything less than the championship, it's obviously not the way to go. For those who live in the real world, it's obviously not the way to go. However, if someone is to go off the deep end, it makes some sense.

I don't think this organization is any different. Different era with free agency

Not just free agency but was there a salary cap then? There were definitely fewer teams. Much harder to be the best of 32 teams than the best of 14 teams. Apples and oranges to compare the Lombardi era with today.

Can't compare Lombardi and his era to now. Agree, only 14 teams and no opportunity for good players to shop themselves.

I love the guy, as I grew up becoming a Packer fan at the time, but had he stayed another 5 years he may well have fallen short of a championship in each of those years. He got out just at the right time. Team was getting older and some of his draft picks were not what he or others hoped they would be. Great coach who probably would have turned it around but I suspect even Lombardi would have found it tough to do anything more than make the playoffs in the years after he stepped down.

Is the window closed. Not yet but close. 2 years. I personally think Thompson is an average GM. Is not aggressive filling holes via FA or trade. Has he hit on a few later round picks but has missed too much on top picks and it's beginning to show. Can't trade 12 or 52 contracts are un tradeable

If they can't make a deep run in next 2-3 years time to re build

I was being factious. I don't believe for a moment the window is closing nor do I believe things are as dire as some on this site do. In 2014 we were a handful of screwy plays away from the SB and last season our offense was battered and bruised and we were OT away from the NFCC game. If we fix a handful of issues we will be back in the hunt for another SB in 2016.

Back