2 or 3 offseason moves could give.....

Terranimal

Reaction score
the push the team moves back into the elite.

Don't know about anyone else, but am tired of year after year watching Thompson draft for the front 7 on defense and not getting much back on his investment.

Meanwhile found McCarthy's comments very interesting at season's end on saying his Offense works best when He has 2 big targets on Offense, whether it be at WR or TE. His comments on Thompson's lack of using free agency was also interesting and leads one to wonder if maybe this is year we see Thompson do that with Rodgers being in his prime and the window starting to close.

IMO am still old school and believe games are won in the trenches on both sides of the ball. When our O-line was healthy the team had a chance. When the injuries hit, Rodgers had no time and took way too many hits.

One thing clear to me is that there are too many holes to fill with the draft alone. So with that premise, here are 3 possible players/positions that could not only fill gaps but improve each area of the team......

DT Damon Harrison..... One of the best 3-4 DT's in league. Perfect age at 27 and will command the money, but worth it?

or maybe

DE Malik Jackson who at 27 posted 3rd best grade among all DEs. There's no way Denver is going to be able to pay and keep everyone on that defense. My only question is that on that overly talented defense, is it pure talent or because of the sum of the parts? And there is some that think Denever will find a way to keep him.

Point here is that Thompson has gone year after year investing into the D-Line and the pay offs just haven't come through. This D-Line needs another stud besides Daniels.

Sticking with the front 7, would love to grab a stud OLBer and also move Matthews back to OLBer. Peppers isn't going to last forever and his future is uncertain at this time. But OLBers worth their weight don't just get free. So go to next best option and shore up a sore spot on this team at ILBer and move Matthews back to OLB. Already early Mocks have top LBers off the board before our pick. Here are 3 possible options....

Jerrell Freeman 29. Finished the season with the 2nd best grade out of all ILBers. There might be a youth movement in Indy which might make Freeman available to test the market.

Again back to Broncos. Winning has it's price and for them it's having key defensive players all available to the market at the same time. Doubtful they will be able to keep all the pieces intact. So odds are that either Brandon Marshall or Danny Trevathan will hit the market and either would be better then anyone else we have playing at ILBer not named Matthews.

The 3rd move isn't maybe a huge impact, but depth is of some concern on this team and loss of free agents is inevitable. Some think Thompson should make a play for a big name/stud OT. But looking at the age of the players on this O-Line unit, Sitton is the oldest at 28, which means this unit is still young. This is one of the better O-Lines when healthy, but depth is of a concern, especially at LT. So maybe picking up a serviceable stop gap OT vet wouldn't be the worst idea. The worst kept secret is we know Thompson will draft an OL player every draft, but trying to count on a young developing player has had it's up downs, so picking up a vet would seem to be a wise investment if possible.

So what have done here isn't a knee jerk reaction. This team suffered through too many injuries this past season and it caught up in the end. But what is disturbing is the record of this team losing close and overtime games w/o Rodgers getting the ball in his hands because the defense can't make a stop when it counts. We're not far away......

Hey Terranimal always good to see you post ! I agree but the question as always is will TT break his trend and sign any FA. We always have this talk and come up empty. Good post and welcome back ! br)

Nice to see you, T!

Yes, the cyclical TT angst begins anew. Will this be the year he surprises us? pop(

As a group our D line isn't bad. Daniels is a stud but we did get 43 sacks this past season. It wasn't up there like Denver with 52 but 43 is not too bad. If you look at team stats on nfl.com we were in the top 10 in passing defense, interceptions and sacks. We had issues in rush defense but this IMO was because we had mediocre ILB play outside of Clay. This position needs an upgrade so we can move Clay back outside. I don't care how Ted addresses it - FA or the draft - as long as he does.

Good stuff, though the we all know how the highest tier UFAs WILL become subject to bidding wars TT isn't likely to win.

NT Damon "Big Snacks" Harrison hasn't been mentioned much elsewhere (good find!), but he'd be a definite upgrade as run stopper/blocker eater over Raji, considering the latter's injury history and motivation risk.

Harrison is just 27, has stringed together three good/great seasons, and graded 6th best NT/DT + 2nd best run stopper in 2015. Had one less pressure than Raji in comparable snaps, but beat him in solo stops 51 to 10 .

They're different type of players, though: Harrison is an immovable rock, Raji is a pocket pusher. Raji, when healthy and motivated, is much more versatile and has better feet. I'd like the pre-injury 2015 Raji back, but his string of injuries and underachievement frustrates the heck outta me.

Pure nose tackles get waaaay lesser contracts than pass rushers. Paul Soliai and Vikes Linval Joseph got a bit less than 6.5M avg in 2014. Vince Wilfork and Terrance "Pot Roast" Knighton (who is again available as UFA) made $4.45 million annually as top UFA NTs in 2015.

ESPN's Jets reporter has said Harrison's looking for "at least" 5M annually. A pure NT is unlikely to play more than 50-60% of snaps for us, so more than 6M would be a stretch.

Guion is a UFA, strike away from long suspension, and limited in movement. Pennel is unproven, but promising, and is probably our only in-house replacement for Raji. Boyd didn't impress in 2014 and is coming off IR. The rest of our guys are pass rush oriented.

The draft class at DT seems unusually good and deep at the top, but those guys tend to fly off boards. And we have have needs elsewhere.

Good post "T". Haven't seen you post in a while.

Agree with the ideas that ILB and NT are areas to look at in FA. No way you are getting a top-flite OLB/Rusher or LT in FA. Teams don't let them go and they get really pricey really fast. Those other 2 positions are more manageable. One of those Denver ILBs would sure look nice in green and gold. I'd also take a NT, but would be OK with bringing back Raji and drafting a DL guy in a draft that seems pretty deep.

They do need to do something about the OL. The thing is, the cheaper guys in FA are typically not worth it and the expensive guys cost too much just to have as depth. Kinda why I'd like to just see them draft a viable pass-blocking type OT in the first few rounds. We know Tretter isn't a disaster at LT so he can fill the gap for a game or two if needed.

Get a couple of solid young draft picks in there to develop. It's not a coincidence to me that all of our "quality" o-linemen are draft picks and the UDFAs all struggle. Sure, you can find the occasional diamond in the rough UDFA, but typically 32 teams are not wrong all that often on these guys. Draft some quality depth. Take an OT in the 2nd or 3rd and another RT/OG type in the 5th or 6th. Create real competition for positions and make sure you have guys you can plug in if injuries hit. This line rarely stays healthy for long periods, especially Bulaga. You need to plan for that. Plus, lots of OL hitting FA in the next year or two. Need to be covered if a couple leave.

Personally, the PFF rating and grading of players is awfully subjective. It is a team sport and I would bet players on good defensive teams are all elevated because of the talent they are next too. Also, maybe their coaches use their talents better, just getting the 3rd or 6th ranked guy doesn't mean our 'system' is a fit for them. That being said, TT sucks at DL drafting. On the other hand, we don't ask our DL to make plays, we want them to plug gaps. So does a high draft pick make sense there?

I agree that Tretter seems to be able to sub at LT and he seems to fit the role of veteran depth, providing some quality at C and now LT. We need a better RT/G sub though, because Bulaga is partly made of glass.

As far as the draft.....speed. At every position, We have a decent base defense, but sub packages lack speed. I think you'll see TT go trenches with first pick then a TE/WR /RB in round two. LBs will come in the third + rounds. Just his style.

Personally, the PFF rating and grading of players is awfully subjective. It is a team sport and I would bet players on good defensive teams are all elevated because of the talent they are next too. Also, maybe their coaches use their talents better, just getting the 3rd or 6th ranked guy doesn't mean our 'system' is a fit for them. That being said, TT sucks at DL drafting. On the other hand, we don't ask our DL to make plays, we want them to plug gaps. So does a high draft pick make sense there?
After getting initially excited about Harrison, I've since soured on the idea a bit.

The bolded part is an old-fashioned view of the base 3-4 - "DL taking on blockers and letting LBs make plays". We didn't play like that at all in 2015.

The thing is, we play base 3-4 very rarely, since teams field more receivers all the time. In our nickel, we have only 2 DTs: Daniels and ?. If one of the front 4 can't rush the passer, that's a big problem. Last season Raji's and Daniel's role was to push the pocket, allowing OLBs to converge. Denver showed a shining example of what great 4-man pass rushing front can do, with Derek Wolfe playing the "Raji" role, and Malik Jackson the "Daniels" role. A front like that also makes blitzes work better.

If your NT is a rock and not a pocket pusher, meaning he can't move, that leaves room for the QB to step up in the pocket or lanes for the QB to escape. Remember the year with sedimentary Pickett and bad Raji, when CMIII was pushed by the QB all the time?

As a group our D line isn't bad. Daniels is a stud but we did get 43 sacks this past season. It wasn't up there like Denver with 52 but 43 is not too bad. If you look at team stats on nfl.com we were in the top 10 in passing defense, interceptions and sacks. We had issues in rush defense but this IMO was because we had mediocre ILB play outside of Clay. This position needs an upgrade so we can move Clay back outside. I don't care how Ted addresses it - FA or the draft - as long as he does.
Yes Pugger, 43 sacks leaves lots of room for optimism. Add one or two more players that can rush the passer like their hair is on fire and it just might be enough to put this team back to elite status.
And don't forget that on the other side of the ball we have Jordy Nelson returning, who in 2014 had a whopping 98 receptions for 1519 yards.

If Ted signs a FA it will most likely be a cap casualty guy like Peppers was.

Back