With Their first pick GB selects Jordan Love QB Utah State

Good article on the taking of love. Also how Gute said there was no one else on their board that they felt taking at 30. Show shows that the Packers had no interest in guys like Queen or Higgins in the first.

Makes me question the Packers scouting and how they set up their boards

Breer writes of Gutekunst:

He was the Packers’ Southeast area scout back when Rodgers was drafted as Favre’s replacement and hasn’t forgotten all the good, and the bad from that pick. And as easy as it is to compare this to that, philosophically he sees this as an extension of what Ron Wolf used to do—basically drafting a quarterback every year.
“We haven’t been able to do that the last few years, it just hasn’t fallen for us the right way,” he said. “And it’s not like we haven't wanted to, it’s just the value of the player and where we thought they were and where we could take them at the time, it just didn't happen. I think it's always kind of been in my DNA that anywhere in the draft, if you have an opportunity to take a quarterback you really think can play, you need to consider it.
“That's really what this move is. I know people may look at it differently from outside, but it was kind of one of those things where he was a guy we really think can play somewhere down the road. And he happened to be available to us. And it was really pretty much that simple. I think it's a little different than the Favre/Aaron thing because there were some different dynamics going on there at the time. But I think we’ve got an elite quarterback that's going to lead our team for, hopefully, a long time. And now I feel really good about a couple of the guys that we got behind him if anything should ever happen.”
It’s hard to say now whether Love will grow to be more than that. But by going to Green Bay and sitting—he was seen as plenty raw coming out—he may get the best shot to do that.
And we all know how that worked out for the last guy.

Good article on the taking of love. Also how Gute said there was no one else on their board that they felt taking at 30. Show shows that the Packers had no interest in guys like Queen or Higgins in the first.

I have mentioned this before, one possible reason they did not take Queen is that they projected him as OLB and not inside which I can understand. Higgins again could easily had a round 2 grade. The issue to me was the trade up

Wolf wasn't drafting 1st round QBs every year so I'm not sure what parallel Gutey was trying to draw. Made no sense to me.

I understand if they think Rodgers plays too outside the system, but is there any indication that Jordan Love is the guy to fix that?
All the highlights I have seen of Love so are have been wide open easy throws that any QB better make if they want to start.

Really? All the highlights I've seen are insane throws, drops in the bucket with the defender draped on the receiver etc.

Point being, if you want a guy to just run the play as called and play in a system, the QB that combines the bad stuff of Favre and Rodgers without the good seems an odd choice.

Back