With the 29th Overall Pick in the 1st Round the Green Bay Packers select Eric Stokes

I think Gute reached. All the top CB's were gone but instead of taking BPA at another spot he did the cardinal sin and reached for a player at a position of need.

i wanted the packers to pick him. but i had him going in the second round. i think teven jenkins would have been the better choice.
+1. I don't have a problem with the player, though any time I hear the word "stiff" with a DB, I think of Josh Jones or Aaron Rouse and I feel a little sick. The scouting staff loves RAS, they love corners, it makes sense. They also NEED corners, arguably worse than they need OL.

However, I just think that with the current OL roster, there is no downside to taking a good OT prospect, and the group of remaining guys is going to go quick in the 2nd, whereas I think they could've grabbed a CB at the bottom of Rd 2.

We also don't know if it was the old catch 22. What if GB knew that he was a reach at 29 but also knew he likely was not going to be there at 62. They could have tried trading down into the 2nd but may have found no team was interested in the 29th pick and they did not want to have to pay the price to move up to a mid or high second round pick to draft him. So they have to spend a pick higher then then wanted to get him to avoid losing him.

Just saw a number that illustrates how mediocre the Packers have been at drafting DBs. Out of their last 16 picks in Rds 1 & 2, NINE of those picks have been DBs. Plus they spent money on a FA in Amos. That's a lot of overall capital to spend on the defensive backfield since 2014, and you still haven't gotten it right. Ugh . . .

That said, yes, maybe Stokes was a reach, but maybe not. I'm sure the Packers are not the only team that had him on their board in this range. It's about staying true to their board and if they did that it wasn't a reach.

I go to The Huddle Report for some of my draft research and they are, in general, pretty accurate in terms of where guys get picked. They had Stokes at #39, so not much of a reach at all on their board.

It's not what I would have done, but it's not like they took a guy completely out of place at that spot. I just hope he works out, despite their very spotty track record at the DB positions.

Back