Wisconsin Football: Can Paul Chryst get the Badgers over the hump?

I don't know anymore. Not so sure 8-4 is realistic. That now seems hopeful. A single remaining loss against only Iowa? I don't know. I see Iowa as a likely loss and most of the rest as toss-ups with how bad this offense looks. To me 7 wins looks like the high side and 5 wins on the low side.

Unless they figure some things out and improve mightily on offense they will keep putting the defense in bad spots and allow teams to hang around where a couple of plays make the difference.

Notre Dame didn't look good against Purdue but then rolls the Badgers. Ditto for Michigan vs Rutgers. With the way those games went down, I'm not so sure Purdue and Rutgers aren't toss-ups given that both are on the road.

I'm really not confident enough to say point blank that the Badgers will absolutely win any single one of their remaining games. I just think they'll win at least 4-5 of them somehow.
If Mertz is out for a while Badgers won't have a chance to get to 8 wins 6 wins might be high side.

OL is terrible and it's been a trend for more than this year, Joe Rudolph has to go. No more title changes they have to fire him. Add in Chris Haering to that list, a Pitt holdover he made sense for recruiting there but has done crap at UW.

Get a real OL coach and a real OC, split the ST duties elsewhere. Until they fix OL/OC the rest won't get much better.

Last edited:
Reactions: TW
I don't know anymore. Not so sure 8-4 is realistic. That now seems hopeful. A single remaining loss against only Iowa? I don't know. I see Iowa as a likely loss and most of the rest as toss-ups with how bad this offense looks. To me 7 wins looks like the high side and 5 wins on the low side.

Unless they figure some things out and improve mightily on offense they will keep putting the defense in bad spots and allow teams to hang around where a couple of plays make the difference.

Notre Dame didn't look good against Purdue but then rolls the Badgers. Ditto for Michigan vs Rutgers. With the way those games went down, I'm not so sure Purdue and Rutgers aren't toss-ups given that both are on the road.

I'm really not confident enough to say point blank that the Badgers will absolutely win any single one of their remaining games. I just think they'll win at least 4-5 of them somehow.
By the scoreboard we got rolled but the ND game was one special teams gaffe and 2 pick 6’s away from a close game and 1 TD was a short field due to TO. Today the way the half ended not sure what happens if 5 stays in the games. That’s the glass half full.

Glass empty the OL is a mess and probably won’t get fixed soon, defense was average today, could not get home on the QB and can’t force a TO. RB room is pedestrian and WR the same even though I think Dike is the best in the room

Joe R is a liability and rest of staff is nothing special.

OL is terrible and it's been a trend for more than this year, Joe Rudolph has to go. No more title changes they have to fire him. Add in Chris Haering to that list, a Pitt holdover he made sense there for recruiting there but has done crap at UW.

Get a real OL coach and a real OC, split the ST duties elsewhere. Until they fix OL/OC the rest won't get much better.
Gilmore and Brown are not much better either especially Brown. A whole staff reevaluation probably is necessary but not holding my breath

So is Rudloph a good friend of PC that he keeps his job or is PC just to stupid to see he is not a good coach?

So is Rudloph a good friend of PC that he keeps his job or is PC just to stupid to see he is not a good coach?
None of the above. It’s a “UW Family “ thing more than anything else

And the “UW Family “ thing is actually a big part of the problem. And truth told The Emperor is part of that issue. He got spooked by the Anderson hire IMO and PC was the “safe” pick to get back to “Wisconsin Football”. Then with PC you get Joe R and the rest and it’s not a good long term formula

The staff and football ops turnover the last 3-4 years is also an issue and honestly my sense is that while he was the AD, the BA shadow was clearly over the program. He was Teflon. Yes resources and that start and stops with the AD. I love what he did for the university and the program but it’s not working in this version of college football

Agree the OL has been on a downward trend for a few years. Not sure what's going on because Rudolph has been coaching the OL the whole time and they seem like they've gotten incrementally worse every year. Supposedly Andersen was responsible for a downfall on OL recruiting, but that's no longer the case as these are all PC's guys.

To me Rudolph is a large part of the problem as well. Seems silly to have him coaching OL when there is a talented OL coach already on the staff - Bob Bostad. Just move Bostad to OL/Run Game Coor., and hire a new ILB coach. I'd also be fine with adding a real OC to the group.

I just don’t know how much clout or influence McIntosh has to force a staff change. It was not a universally blessed hire and there is not one or two influential boosters who have that muscle either. I get there will be pressure to make a change but getting there is a whole different discussion

61C88FE4-FBC0-4F67-97EC-592FD45FCDA5.jpegJust a sample of some alumni reaction

Back