Wisconsin Football: Can Paul Chryst get the Badgers over the hump?

Not sure if you have 2 loss teams I could see 4 make it from SEC.

Not sure if you have 2 loss teams I could see 4 make it from SEC.
Look at this year. Bama and Georgia yeah they are in but Florida will lose 1-2 more, so will A&M. And yes you still get a Cincinnati to the party this year on an expanded playoff. I can’t see 4 SEC teams top 8. Maybe in a perfect storm year but they beat up on each other

I know we bitch about WR’s and play calling but here is the play from Sat on 3rd down prior to being stopped on 4th and 1. This is squarely on the QB, his vision and decision making. Until this takes the next step it’s all moot. And this is just one example

Mertz has no confidence in himself, and his throwing mechanics have fallen off miserably. Watch his feet on this pass.

What we see out there now, in no way resembles that QB we saw his first time out, against Illinois. Nothing is the same.

Mertz has no confidence in himself, and his throwing mechanics have fallen off miserably. Watch his feet on this pass.

What we see out there now, in no way resembles that QB we saw his first time out, against Illinois. Nothing is the same.
Yes true. To be fair the lack of pass pro is contributing to his footwork issues. But at the same time footwork did not make him throw a pick 6 into soft zone prevent coverage. He was set.

I’m going half glass full here in that it’s just his 9th start with a pedestrian OL & WR and no RB to bail him out. I still think his upside / ceiling is above Coan. The OL need to get straight (Bostad to OL) and yes upgrades at RB. Wilson and others have succeed with less at WR because they had OL and RB to lean on

Final hot take ? UW 21 Michigan 10. This group was embarrassed Sat. Some of the player quotes seemed genuine. They respond at home

I'm not saying Mertz is a bad QB. I'm stating that there are problems in how he's playing that could deal with issues created from coaching. If you continuously tinker with a QBs game, eventually the wheels will fall off. I wonder how much tinkering they did with him.

I keep hearing how Chryst was a Badger QB. Yes, he was. He didn't really play much. In fact, as time went on, he ended up being buried way down on the list, and at one time as low as #5.

F3D3FE52-749E-438E-8169-D46352BEC962.jpegF3D3FE52-749E-438E-8169-D46352BEC962.jpegF3D3FE52-749E-438E-8169-D46352BEC962.jpegI'm not saying Mertz is a bad QB. I'm stating that there are problems in how he's playing that could deal with issues created from coaching. If you continuously tinker with a QBs game, eventually the wheels will fall off. I wonder how much tinkering they did with him.

I keep hearing how Chryst was a Badger QB. Yes, he was. He didn't really play much. In fact, as time went on, he ended up being buried way down on the list, and at one time as low as #5.
Don't think it's coaching. Tolzein and Stocco both took steps up with PC as OC / QB coach, Wilson was a much more polished pocket QB at UW than he was at NC State. His comp % at State was high 50% as a ceiling, at UW it was 72%, INT at State averaged 12 his last 2 years there, had 4 at UW.

EDIT: sorry I pasted the state pic wrong my bad

Last edited:
They were caretaker type QBs who were supported by effective offensive lines, and RBs who required so much attention that their passing games were kept to the minimal, for success. We have no running game now, no overwhelming offensive line, and our WRs are sub-par. Comparing their success to what you expect of Mertz today is totally unfair. Especially since the Chryst/Rudolph combo shows absolutely no offensive imagination.

I've been this route as a player, and a coach.

They were caretaker type QBs who were supported by effective offensive lines, and RBs who required so much attention that their passing games were kept to the minimal, for success. We have no running game now, no overwhelming offensive line, and our WRs are sub-par. Comparing their success to what you expect of Mertz today is totally unfair. Especially since the Chryst/Rudolph combo shows absolutely no offensive imagination.

I've been this route as a player, and a coach.
Yes and no. I never saw Tolzein as a game manager. I remember the OSU game where was much more than that. I get the OL issues and WR issues but I posted in earlier the 3rd down pass to Pryor that he ran a perfect route for a 1st was late, he also ran a deep out and go and had 3 yds separation that was a TD and missed and Dike ran a perfect stop and go route and was overthrown. That just pitch and catch stuff. Also the Wilson comp is valid

I do think they showed some imagination and it worked in the 3rd. They went heavy 11 personal replacing 1 WR with an extra OL, Sampson Result was the 1st play of the game to Pryor, the shovel pass to Mellusi and the Pryor TD pass. I think some of the non imaginative stuff is a result of talent. Dunn as a slot WR ? It’s hard to run out different personal groups. And let’s be honest you can’t rotate 8 OL and have continuity. Stick with 5 and live with it.

I agree with a lot of the points of TW and Pack.

I think Mertz' issues are predominantly between the ears. He appears lost, dazed, and confused. He certainly is not outwardly showing confidence.

The 3d down play Pack showed is a perfect example. In real time I didn't see how bad it was. Wished we had kicked the field goal - before the play. I'm just a points guy.

It looked like Bucky was going to get on track with the 3d quarter touchdown drive, but then it went to shit again.

Oh well, after IL I thought the prophecies were true. I bought into the hype. I hope he can turn it around.

But, I think there's huge coaching shortcomings. Why are they rotating offensive lineman? The schemes / strategies are very simple and predictable. All to frequently opponents defenses appear to know exactly what Bucky intends to do - even Eastern Michigan but our horses were better. It certainly appears that Chryst's offense requires a superstar running back who can run around and through defenders or it goes nowhere. I see very little in the passing strategy.

Onto Big Blue

Back